Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KV35 Evidence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: KV35 Evidence Reply with quote

This is one of those questions that I feel tentative about asking, as it could be really a bit silly, but the other night I was looking at the wig found in KV35 that has become a key element in the controversy surrounding the identity of the occupants in the side chamber:

http://www.egiptomania.com/asade/imagenes/nefertiti05.jpg

It is identified as the Nubian style wig common to the Amarna royal family. I note that there are fragments of braded locks connected with it. Is it possible that the wig originally looked something like this:

http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/mektaten.jpg

I've always felt that, if the most controversial of the occupants is indeed a young woman (and not a young man), that one of Akhenaten or Amenhotep III's daughters was as strong a possibility as any, including Nefertiti.
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the elder women is Tiye (and the hair matching does seem to provide evidence for this) and the youth is Prince Thutmose, then it would probably make more sense for it to be one of Tiye's daughters, rather than Akhenatens. ie, Sitamun, Isis, Hettanuheb (spelling?!! help!) or Beketaten.
Smartie
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be Meritaten, seeing as in a lot of inscriptions it appears these two died (or dissapear from the records) around the same time? I was a bit skeptical as I first looked at the wig, but then I looked to the top left hand corner, and it does seem to resemble the wig Meritaten is wearing in the other pic you posted. She sure does look...well unhappy. Tiye has some sculptures that have that same look as well, of a very mad, tough, strong, women maybe they were PMSing during this time? and the artist wanted to express the pain they were feeling that showed through they're faces Laughing ok, had a little too much fun there.
Some say the young man in between the two women is Webensenu son of Amenhotep II, and I believe his canopic jars were found there as well? though there is also another mummy in the tomb that could possibly be him as well (the one whom some suspect to be Setnakht)

Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and if thay elder lady mummy is suppose to be Tiye then why was she given such a crappy burial? or maybe she was buried some where else first, and the put there? I could see Nefertiti getting a crappy one, but not Tiye. If the younger person is infact a women, then I'd go with her being related to Tiye being a daughter or grand-daughter, that doesn't shorten the list any though.
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She sure does look...well unhappy. Tiye has some sculptures that have that same look as well, of a very mad, tough, strong, women

Interesting you identify a similarity to Tiye and the Amarna princess in the first image link I posted...one artist has suggested that the bust sometimes identified as a young Nefertiti ( http://www.republika.pl/egypt_legends/meritaten.gif ) is more likely to be Meritaten, identifying a number of differences between the bust and other portraits of Nefertiti. She mentioned a resemblence between the mouth of the woman depicted in the bust and Tiye.

Of course, we can't even be sure that it is Meritaten and not one of the other Amarna princesses who is depicted in the sidelock photo!

And you're right - there are no shortage of female candidates for the younger mummy.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember, Smartie, that the mummies found in KV35 were not given a "crappy" burial there, but were placed in the tomb as a cache.
I can just see a group of priests, finding several tombs violated by robbers, saving the remains of the burial for re-burial in KV35. Nothing left of the grave-goods. The mummies barely intact, but placed reverently in the tomb to "save" them from any further distruction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: