Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

James P. Allen, "The Amarna Succession"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerard
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: James P. Allen, "The Amarna Succession" Reply with quote

http://history.memphis.edu/murnane/Allen%20-%20Amarna%20Succession.pdf (381k)

In this article the J.Allen gives his views on the Amarna Succession, Tut's parentage, Meritaten Jr's parentage, etc.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is part of several articles put online in honor of W.J. Murnane.
See also http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1951

This is a great article for amarna-philes Very Happy

I noticed it yesterday, but haven't had time to read it yet. I'm really looking forward to reading this article.
Ajaya
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amarna Period drives me crazy.....theres alway just enough evidence to ask the question but never enough to know the answer!!!

Jay
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL And this article really shows how the information seems to be inadequate to draw any reliable conclusions Very Happy

I had never heard the theory that Ankhkheperure Neferneferuaten was Neferneferuaten-tasherit (the fourth daughter of Akhenaten and Nefertiti). Very Happy

Not sure I buy that theory..

Allen also seems to think that the co-regency issue has been settled. Based on the other article on the memphis site the tomb of Kheruef may imply that there was either no co-regency or a very short one.
That changes things a bit.

I haven't read the other article yet, so I'm not sure what the reasoning is for concluding there could not have been any substantial co-regency. (I think it has to do with the order of the decorations in the tomb and when they must have been made.)
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another inconsistency: if the woman nursing the baby is Meritaten, why she isn't depicted with the sidelock as she appears in the opposite wall of the same chamber?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read a message on the EEF mailing list pointing out that a more up to date version of this article has been posted on the above mentioned website.
The earlier version apparently was a preliminary version and contained errors.
Gerard
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
Another inconsistency: if the woman nursing the baby is Meritaten, why she isn't depicted with the sidelock as she appears in the opposite wall of the same chamber?
On wall B Meritaten is not wearing a sidelock but a hairdressing specific to Amarna princesses. My explanation on this discrepency is that hairdressing is a function of the person occupation. In this case Meritaten is nursing. However I believe the child is Meketaten’s one nit her daughter.

My reasoning is the following : A child receives his name from his mother, but what happen if the mother died in childbirth. Well, for a while the child must be without a name. I believe this is what the reliefs of rooms alpha & gamma want to tell us. The two children have no name because their mother died in labor. A difference between Rooms Alpha and Gamma is the number of ladies carrying a fan behind the nurse and the child. In room Alpha there is only one fan for the child who is royal and none for the nurse who is not even named. In room Gamma there are two fans, nurse and child being royal. I believe Meritaten is nursing her sister's child because this one need it as soon he is born otherwise he may died too, Meritaten being already a mother, and probably was around when her sister was in labour, was able to help in this task which took the royal family by surprise.
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:

Is she facing the opposite way? - if so, the sidelock would be hidden.
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELISE wrote:
Is she facing the opposite way? - if so, the sidelock would be hidden.

It's not true, a royal infant is always a royal infant. Both in Amarna depictions (like this) and Ramses III royal sons' tombs royal infants' sidelocks are always depicted no matters which side the person who wears it is looking at.
tadukhipa
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started reading, I really liked this article, but then it seems to get a bit sketchy towards the end. First of all, I'm not a fan of the way that he has to completely change the generally accepted birthdates for all of the Amarna princess to support his thoery. It's possible that they could have been born earlier, but there really isn't any evidence to support the possibility and you'd think that at the very least they would have been depicted somewhere during those early years. He also has to make all kinds of assumptions to support the idea of Neferneferuaten-tasherit as co-regent.

That being said, I'm a bit more convinced of the idea of the possibility of a female co-regent than I was before.

http://strictlybecca
.blog
spot
.com
Sobek
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Allen also believes that the original Ankhesenpaaten was not the one who married Tutankhamun but the junior one.

"...if he had already been married to Akhenaten's daughter, Ankhesenpaaten,..."
"Ankhesenpaaten, however, is the only Amarna princess with whom Tutankhamun is associated,..."
"Tutankhamun therefore could not have fathered Ankhesenpaaten, Jr,..."
"Tutankhamun followed the same course by taking Ankhesenpaaten as his chief queen."
The Amarna Succession, James P. Allen, 2006/09

On another thread it has been recently said that James Allen thinks Tutankhamun married Ankhesenpaaten-Tasherit. That is not what I understand from reading The Amarna Succession. Has Allen suggested this in another article or book?
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he may be like any good historian, has opinions that change when new evidence comes to light.......or someone has gotten that impression from reading his book......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: