Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movies about Egypt!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Movies about Egypt! Reply with quote

This thread is to discuss movies that are set in, based on, or inspired by Egypt, such as the Mummy, Stargate, Indiana Jones etc... What do you think of them? Do you think they are harmless fun to watch, or do you get put off by any historical inaccuracies in the film? Do you have a favourite? And do you know of any new Egypt themed movies coming out in the future?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the movies about Ancient Egpt, even the inaccurate ones. Some of them have wonderful sets built to resemble palaces. Always something I enjoy Very Happy

Stargate is not really based so much on Ancient Egypt, as that they seem to have borrowed characters from Egyptian Mythology. Having said that, it is my favorite Sci-Fi series ever....
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Having said that, it is my favorite Sci-Fi series ever....
Mine too. Very Happy
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen a few episodes of SG1 but I love Stargate the movie...

One thing I do find annoying though about Egyptian movies, is that in 99% of them the Egyptians, or the Egyptian gods, are portrayed as evil-with their curses and stuff...I mean in modern eyes, most people think is something strange about an ancient culture that is obsessed with death, but does that mean they are evil? Not really.
Oh don't worry I'm just being nitpicky-I just take these movies with a pinch of salt and enjoy them.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that's something we inherited from the old horror flicks.
After Dracula and Frankenstein, they made the mummy with Boris Karloff. It's well done, but it's also the first time the "evil priest" is buried alive, and comes back after some idiot reads the wrong incantation out loud.
The more modern "Mummy" movie is just an updated version of that.

There have been a couple of other types of movies though. I think there are now several movies about Cleopatra. The one with Elizabeth Taylor is long to sit through, but I like it. There are some older versions (one with Vivian Leigh?) that go the "femme fatal" route a bit more heavily.

Totally different: what about the Michael Jackson video for "remember the times", with Nefertiti? (Although he had her married to Ramses (!!) I think )

Are there any movies about Nefertiti? There's some Italian movie I saw a long time ago, but I can't remember what that one was about. (Made a big impression eh?)
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't seen the Mummy Returns or the Scorpion King though...

It would be so cool if there were more Egypt movies coming out soon! But I haven't heard of any yet.

Here's another fun question: what sort of Egyptian story-be it real (eg. the story of Ramses), fictional (like Wilbur Smith's River God) or mythical (such as the myth of Osiris), would you like to see made into a film? And who would star in it?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's another fun question: what sort of Egyptian story-be it real (eg. the story of Ramses), fictional (like Wilbur Smith's River God) or mythical (such as the myth of Osiris), would you like to see made into a film? And who would star in it?

That's a tough one! I would like to see many of the time periods made into a movie.

How about the story of Hatshepsut and Thutmosis III? Although we may have to turn that into a mini-series Very Happy
Cast???
Hatshepsut - Ashley Judd
Thutmosis III - first some child actor, then Colin Farrell?
Thutmosis II (H's husband) - Tim Robbins
Senenmut - Hugh Jackman
Isis (mother of Thut III) - Alyssa Milano

I don't know who to cast. Just include Hugh Jackman somewhere Very Happy
(There should be a drooling smiley face in that spot.)
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about Hatshesut's story, but I think Ramses's life could be made into a movie-after all, his life has been novelised by Christian Jacq. Who could play the lead role, I'm not sure really...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be wonderful too. But again this would have to be a mini series I think. So much went on. That's also quite a bit of casting Very Happy
Didn't he have 8 royal wives (many more concubines) and 100's of kids?

Hmmmm, who to play Ramses? His wives Nefertari and Isis-Nofret? His daughters Bintanath, Meryetamun, Nefertari II, Isis-Nofret II etc.

His son Khaemwese would be an interesting character too.

I was actually reading a mystery called (I believe) the Pharaoh's Son. The main characters here are Amenhirkhepeshef (called Hori in the story) and his brother Khaemwese. Someone kills a priest in a temple, and the 2 royal princes have to work together to find out what is going on.
I think it would make a good movie.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...I was thinking Orlando Bloom could maybe play Ramses-he is pretty damn hot!!! *drool* And maybe Monica Belluci as Nefetari...It's hard finding actors that 'look Egyptian' though, but that depends on what you think Egyptians looked like...
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
It would be so cool if there were more Egypt movies coming out soon! But I haven't heard of any yet.

The only one I know about which is sort of related is the upcoming movie about Alexander the Great ( http://www.alexander-the-great.co.uk ) although it's probably only right at the end of the film when it relates to Egypt.
Neith
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the Mummy as a return to old-fashioned moviemaking. That did not keep me from screaming at the screen on occasion. My husband will not watch this movie with me for 2 reasons:

1) I start periodically yelling, "Why 5 canopic jars? Why change it? It makes no difference to the plot! Why not just get it right? Don't you people have fact checkers?" Sometimes, I alternate with, "4! There are 4 f#$%$ canopic jars!"

2) Problem with the creepy bugs crawling all over you thing.

I am also not allowed to watch movies with the subtitles on, after I started yelling at "The 13th Warrior." "Latin! That's Latin! It's clearly Latin!" when the subtitles said, [speaking Greek.]
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean Neith! I do that too!
I mean, scarabs don't eat living flesh-they eat dung!!! Laughing
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love films about egypt,i can remember the buzz when i went to see the first mummy film ,the modern one,although factually it was claptrap,it was a great feeling seeing the opening shots of a supposed ancient city,it is a very wide ranging and open subject,and the advances in cgi technology mean that film makers have an opportunity to make them on a scale never imagined before.knowing the profits to be made i dont know why more hollywood studios dont go for it.imagine a full scale rendering of the battle of kadesh or the reconquest after the hyksos occupation.or even a film on the amarna period with a whodunnit type ending of the death of tutankhamun,if i had the time and talent a script would be started soon,maybe on my visit to the great land in july it will inspire it in Shocked me.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have done mini-series about "The Mists of Avalon", and as much as I enjoyed it, I would like the movies you described even more Harrymon!

I hope that the success of movies like Troy and Alexander (I'm assuming they will be a success Smile ) will motivate them to make more historical epic movies.
Once you go down that genre it's hard to ignore Egypt I think (and hope).

Quote:
I start periodically yelling, "Why 5 canopic jars? Why change it? It makes no difference to the plot! Why not just get it right? Don't you people have fact checkers?" Sometimes, I alternate with, "4! There are 4 f#$%$ canopic jars!"

You cracked me up Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: