Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you ever want to live in Ancient Egypt?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Would you ever want to live in Ancient Egypt? Reply with quote

Just imagine you were magically transported back in time to ancient Egypt. Would you love to live like an ancient Egyptian, or would you be pining for the luxuries of modern life?
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I pointed out in the reincarnation-thread, I think I wouldn't wanto to have lived there. Not with being aware of this day and age that is. Moral, ethics, lifestyle... People could easily underestimate those in dreaming of AE. Nothing wrong with that, I do it all too often (surely when I see a movie about it) and you'd wish it to be true, but still. Life was harsh, unhealthy (even when Egyptians are said to have known a decent hygiene and all), famine was regularly occuring, death in infancy had an appaling high rate, for petty crimes there was corporal punishment...

I wouldn't want to have been a poor, starving farmer who had to steal from his neighbours just to survive, being caught and having some bodyparts chopped of. That might sound a little "cru" but it's my opinion. Not all was "glamour". Confused

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Glass-half-empty kinda guy? Cool

If I could be transpported back for a short time period, and could convince the court that I was just some observer from a far away country....
I would be kinda curious to see what life would have been like. I'm sure it would have been brutal for some. (That's also true for scores of people these days btw). But to observe the upper class would be interesting.
See the family in action in one of the bigger houses.

There must have also been time periods that were rather good times for people.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would miss having electricity...the TV, the stereo, the phone, the computer...especially the computer.
What exactly did Egyptians do to pass their time, apart from toiling the fields, building monuments and praying to the gods? Oh, and, of course, preparing for their upcoming funeral? Rolling Eyes Not much, I don't think.

It would be interesting, but unlucky if I was a slave or a peasant. I would love to see royalty, rich nobles or priesthoods in action. But I'd have to eat foul food, drink lumpy beer (its either that or the Nile-which is full of nasty diseases) and plus I'd get terrible sunburn and heatstroke!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, I am guilty of dreaming of the romantic notions of Egypt. You know, being a rich noblewoman/priestess, living a classy life, all the stuff you see in movies. But that's all it is, a dream.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
And yes, I am guilty of dreaming of the romantic notions of Egypt. You know, being a rich noblewoman/priestess, living a classy life, all the stuff you see in movies. But that's all it is, a dream.

LOL. Yeah, but if you daydream you might as well come up with something good. Laughing If I ever find myself daydreaming about working all day in the field, drinking lumpy beer, and living in horrible conditions, I'll be sure to seek therapy Wink
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would love to see-and I'm sure a lot of you would agree with me-is to watch the pyramids being built. Then we can finally put that mystery to rest. Very Happy
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
But that's all it is, a dream.
That's why we're called "Egyptian Dreams" Wink
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, too true!!!

Oh, and here's another question that's been on my mind...how did the Egyptians, erm, respond to the call of nature? Wink Holes in the ground? Or did they do it in the river? Because another thing I'll miss if I get timewarped to ancient Egypt is proper loos. Laughing
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't thought about that until you brought it up Very Happy
I did a quick search and found this:
Quote:
    Finer houses had reception rooms and private quarters, while some even had bathrooms and toilets. Toilet seats were made of limestone. Others used toilet stools. Households disposed of their sewage in pits, in the river or in the streets.

Herodotus claimed that

they ease themselves in their houses and they eat without in the streets, alleging as reason for this that it is right to do secretly the things that are unseemly though necessary, but those which are not unseemly, in public
Herodotus, Histories II
5th century BCE

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a picture of a toiletstool here
http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/timelines/topics/furniture.htm#toilet_stool

Even if you don't want to look at that (and I don't blame you if you are not THAT interested Cool ), there are other pieces of furniture discussed on that page.

I had heard of egyptologists finding the remains of a water tank used to create a shower for Ramses III.
You probably should not expect showers in regular households though Confused
cleopatravii
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I live in presant day Egypt!
The pyramids of Giza are the most magnificent things in the world! To see them in pictures, you thinks its real "Cool" But to see them in frount of you, you think,"Wow. I can't believe this! I'm actually standing at The Pyramids of Giza!" I would have loved to have lived in Ancient Egypt. Its just where I belong.
"I will not be told where I can and cannot go!"Cleopatra "Young lady, you are not supposed to be here. Therefore you are mine"Caesar "Am I to understand that you are free to do with me what you want of me?"-Cleo"Yes and I want that understood-"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ERIKA
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey i was reading this website in which it talked about how they found tattoo marking on bodies of female mummies. They think that Egyptians could have been the makers of tattoos on the body. It was kinda kool what it was saying. But i dont kow if its true. Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: