Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happend following Tutankhamen's death?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: What happend following Tutankhamen's death? Reply with quote

What really happened after the death of Tutankhamen?

* Did Aye really marry Ankhesenamen? What happened to her?
* Was Nakhtmin Aye's son?
* What was the role of Horemheb in all of this?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: The zannanza letters Reply with quote

After the death of Tutankhamen a Queen, who now os beieved by most to have been Ankhesenamen, wrote a letter to the King of the Hittites begging for him to send her a son.

Copies of these letters were found in the ancient archives of the Hittite empire.

Quote:
Ankhesenamen's first letter to the Hittites:

"My husband has died, a son I have not. But to thee, they say, the sons are many. If thou wouldst give me one son of thine, he would become my husband. Never shall I pick out a servant of mine and make him my husband. I am afraid!"

Ankhesenamen's second letter to the Hittites, in response to the King's disbelief of her plea:

"Why didst thou say ‘they deceive me,' in that way? Had I a son, would I have written about my own and my country’s shame to a foreign land? Thou didst not believe me and hast even spoken thus to me! He who was my husband has died. A son I have not. Never shall I take a servant of mine and make him my husband! I have written to no other country, only to thee have I written. They say thy sons are many: so give me one son of thine! To me he will be husband, but in Egypt he will be king."

These letters are well known, but I quoted them from: http://www.glintofgold.org/palace/ankhes/letters.html
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another letter, that is much less well known. This is a letter from Aye to the King of the Hittites.
I have mentioned that in another thread:
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165

Here Aye denies having anything to do with the death of Zannanza.

This latest letter was written when Aye had already ascended the throne.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who were the parents of Tutankhamen?

There is very little known about the background of this young King.

The theories:
1. He is the youngest son of Amenhotep III and Tiye.
2. He is a son of Amenhotep III and his daughter / wife Sitamen
3. He is the son of Akhenaten and Kiya.
4. He is the son of Smenkhare and Meritaten. (Proposed by Dennis Forbes)

What evidence do we have to work with?
E1. He proclaims to be a “King’s son”. But he never tells us which king is his father. There is supposedly an inscription that states that his mother’s name was Merit-Ra. This could be an alternative name for Merit-Aten, but it could also be an entirely different person.

E2. There is some evidence that the body found in KV 55 is closely related to Tutankhamen. This individual is usually thought to be either a brother or possibly a father of Tutankhamen. Identifying the body from KV55 seems problematic. It was first identified as a woman (!), but later it has been determined to be the body of a man, and I believe that this is the generally accepted view. His age at the time of death has been estimated from anywhere between 20 and 35. The most widely accepted estimate is that the person was in his early 20’s when he died. This is based on how much certain bones were fused, and on the fact that one of his wisdom teeth had not erupted yet.

Detour to a little bit of speculation:

If this last identification is correct, then this is the body of Smenkhare. If Smenkhare is the father or brother of Tutankhamen, then we either end up with Smenkhare and Meritaten as Tut’s parents or we have Amenhotep III and an unknown mother as the parents of Tutankhamen. But there are quite a few big IFs in this story Smile

Just to throw in another (very big) IF: If Meritaten is Anket-kheperure, our female King, then the fact that she did not marry Tut would indicate that she is his mother. Why else marry Tut to her sister? She could have married the next prince and stayed on the throne.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutankhamen dedicated a Stela at Karnak. It was a so called restauration stela. It was later usurped by Horemheb.
The interesting part is that according to W.J.Murnane, Horemheb erased the image of Queen Ankhesenamen from the stela. He did not just write his Queen's name, Mutnodjemet, over hers. He actually had her image erased.

I think this is strange, and may indicate some personal hostility towards the former Queen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: