Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barbara Mertz / Elizabeth Peters books
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Barbara Mertz / Elizabeth Peters books Reply with quote

I thought I'd start a thread, for anyone to discuss the Elizabeth Peters books. Very Happy

Amelia Peabody books:
Arrow Crocodile on the Sandbank
Arrow Curse of the Pharaohs
Arrow The Mummy Case
Arrow Lion in the Valley
Arrow The Deeds of the Disturber
Arrow The Last Camel Died at Noon
Arrow The Snake, the Crocodile, and the Dog
Arrow The Hippopotamus Pool
Arrow Seeing a Large Cat
Arrow The Ape Who Guards the Balance
Arrow The Falcon at the Portal
Arrow He Shall Thunder in the Sky
Arrow Lord of the Silent
Arrow The Golden One
Arrow Children of the Storm
Arrow Guardian of the Horizon
Arrow The Serpent on the Crown
Arrow Tomb of the Golden Bird

Arrow Amelia Peabody's Egypt - A Compendium

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the full list, now I can check off the ones I've read. I still havent found a copy of Crocodile on the Sandbank, yet.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:
I still havent found a copy of Crocodile on the Sandbank, yet.

Crocodile on the Sandbank is available here on Amazon. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:

Crocodile on the Sandbank is available on Amazon. Very Happy

What I meant was, I havent found a copy at the used bookstores. Thanks for the link though. It seemed odd to me that while I have the 2nd and 3rd books, I do not have the 1st.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:
What I meant was, I havent found a copy at the used bookstores. Thanks for the link though. It seemed odd to me that while I have the 2nd and 3rd books, I do not have the 1st.

I think you may find it really difficult to get in used bookstores, I know when I got my copy it had to be ordered. Sad I agree, it is very strange that the first one is so hard to find. Confused Maybe it's just more popular, it was a really good one, you find out how Emmerson and Peabody met each other, very funny. Laughing

Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon, go to Amazon and the site for the first book, then check out the "New and Used" section. They usually have really good prices, and it's quite likely that you'll be able to find paperbacks there--I think one time you mentioned you read mostly paperbacks.
I get used books from them all the time and they are usually in excellent condition...
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll have to try that after all. Yes, I do read mostly paperbacks, but I remember mentioning it here. Just got Guardian of the Horizon from the library the other day.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon, on the link that I provided, Crocodile on the Sandbank starts at only $1.75 for a used copy. Very Happy I've never bought from Amazon, but I have from Amazon UK, and as Osiris II mentioned, they are usually good condition. Wink

Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that is that some of the places the sell the used books wont take money orders. Shall just probally order a new copy from them anyway.

So, isnt about time we talk about the books themselves? Does anyone have a favourite?

For a long time, I liked The Ape Who Guards the Balance, and Seeing a Large Cat. Of course, I havent read them all yet.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only read the first six books, but so far my favourite one is the one that's based at The British Museum (I can't remember which one that is, though), and I also really loved the first one.

Meritamon, have you tried eBay then, they sometimes accept other methods of payment? I know what you mean about Amazon, I'm sure they only accept payments by cards. Evil or Very Mad

Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont have an e-bay account anymore. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll probally order them all new from Amazon.com , a few books at a time. Not for a while though. It would be nice to have a full new set.

The Hippopotamus Pool was also a favourite of mine. Which I dont actually own. I havent read any of the newer ones yet.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've only read the first six books, but so far my favourite one is the one that's based at The British Museum (I can't remember which one that is, though),

I think that was Deeds of the Disturber. Even though I just read it last week I am still not certain. The library finally has The Hippopotamus Pool so I am going to try to pick it up today. I have enjoyed every book from the series I have read so far, but my two favorites were Crocodile on the Sandbank and The Snake, the Crocodile & the Dog.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImageOfAten wrote:
I think that was Deeds of the Disturber. Even though I just read it last week I am still not certain.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right actually. I thought it was only me that forgot about things I'd just read. Laughing

ImageOfAten wrote:
my two favorites were Crocodile on the Sandbank and The Snake, the Crocodile & the Dog.

What's The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog about then? This will be my next book to read. Wink

ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog (Taken from the Amelia Peabody website):
With Nefret, now a ward of Amelia and Emerson, and Ramses at home pursuing their studies, the couple returns to Amarna in 1898 for a dig that promises to be just like old times. The trip turns out to be more like old times than they plan, however, when they become the targets of a Master Criminal's evil plot. Emerson is kidnapped, and Amelia rescues him to discover that he has lost his memory. Tantalizingly close to her most important discovery yet, a tomb that may have been Nefertiti's, Amelia needs to turn her attention to regaining her husband's love.

I would have described the book myself but I was worried I might accidently spoil the plot for you. I sometimes forget things I read too, especially since I have been getting through these books so fast.
[/quote]
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, so The Snake, the Crocodile, and the Dog is the one where Emmerson loses his memory. I remember someone on the forum mentioning it a while back, and I thought it sounded very interesting! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: