Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barbara Mertz / Elizabeth Peters books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The permanent Egyptian exhibit at the Field Museum is called Inside Ancient Egypt. There is the mastaba tomb of Unis-ankh on the Main Level and the rest of the exhibit is down on the Ground Floor. I hope you can come see it, as well as the Tut exhibit.

I very nearly stopped on the way home from work this afternoon to buy my first Peters book but I put it off. I'll get over to the store next week during my vacation, though. I'll probably start with Crocodile on the Sandbank since it was the first of her novels. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Inside Ancient Egypt was probally what I saw when I was there then. It was pretty cool. Might be nice to see it again though.

And I picked up Lord of the Silent at the library. Cant find my own copy.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting The Ape Who Guards the Balance.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went and did it. I bought my first Peters novel today, Crocodile on the Sandbank. I was going to wait till next week during my vacation, but I wanted to buy a couple of old Preston and Child thrillers today and figured I might as well get that first novel Mertz wrote as Elizabeth Peters.

There was a bit of a wait at the checkout line so I took the opportunity to read a few excerpts. She seems like a talented and lively writer, but I did notice that at least in this first Peters novel, the writing style seems a bit frilly and old-fashioned. It occurred to me that most of the people I've met who've raved over Peters at me, have been women. I'm wondering if her writing style appeals more to women than men?

I could well be mistaken, though. The book just might hook me to the whole series, so we shall see. I look forward to reading it. Wink

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I went and did it. I bought my first Peters novel today, Crocodile on the Sandbank.

Dancing

Quote:
It occurred to me that most of the people I've met who've raved over Peters at me, have been women. I'm wondering if her writing style appeals more to women than men?

What is that supposed to mean?? Just kidding! I don't think the appeal of her books have anything to do with gender. I admit when I first started the Amelia Peabody series I was kind of put off by the fact that they were set in the late 1800s/early 1900s (I never cared for that time period) but once I actually started to read it no longer bothered me at all. The books are very clever and they are really hard to put down in my opinion. I still mind myself trying to solve the mysteries before I get to the end of the books! Just read it and judge it for yourself. Laughing
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helps to put me at ease, ImageOfAten. I didn't mean to imply that only women like Peters's writing because I have met a few men who've told me about her books, but the vast majority have been women.

The style of writing is what concerned me. I don't enjoy fluffy or melodramatic stuff. It's hard to put into words, but there it is. I am very picky about what I read, but the time period in which her novels are set is not a concern of mine. I've read plenty of novels that take place in the past (and one or two in the future), and that was an exciting time for the field of Egyptology--it's beginnings, really. I've know about the Amelia Peabody time period all along, and it's actually one thing that appealed to me.

I am going to give this first book a faithful read and I'm hoping I'll enjoy it. If I do, I'm more than willing to continue reading them till I've read them all. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That helps to put me at ease, ImageOfAten. I didn't mean to imply that only women like Peters's writing because I have met a few men who've told me about her books, but the vast majority have been women.

I know you did not mean anything like that, I was only joking. Don't worry they are not "fluffy" I do not enjoy that either.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImageOfAten wrote:
I am starting The Ape Who Guards the Balance.

Thats a good one. I decided to bring it with me on vacation. After I finish Lord of the Silent, I'm going on to The Golden One.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon, you were right about The Ape Who Guards the Balance. I finished it today and it was spectacular! I admit the ending saddened me. I cannot say anymore because I will ruin it for everyone who has not yet read it.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked that book, ImageOfAten. Started reading The Mummy Case today. Shall probally take either The Ape Who Guards the Balance or Falcon at the Portal on my trip, I cant decide.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have finished Pillar of Fire I am back into the Amelia Peabody series. I am starting on The Falcon at the Portal tonight. I am enjoying these books a great deal but because of it I am not making much progress on my note-taking lately. I guess I better set some time aside to be productive!
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Lord of the Silent this afternoon. Now I have moved on to Children of the Storm. And I finally decided to bring Falcon at the Portal with me on my trip.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last post I have read: He Shall Thunder in the Sky, The Golden One, and I am now a little more than halfway through Lord of the Silent. Classes are back in so I don't have as much time for reading what I want to now but I will find a way to make more time, especially since there are only a few books in the series that I haven't read yet.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Falcon at the Portal on my trek to Chicago. Shall continue to read the series when I get home.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Children of the Storm I was in suspense through the whole book! Yesterday I started Serpent on the Crown. I am not very far yet, but it is getting interesting!
kmt_sesh, did you ever start Crocodile on the Sandbank?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: