Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barbara Mertz / Elizabeth Peters books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting, you should read it as soon as possible. I couldn't put it down. LOL I read the whole book in two or three days!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gees, I long for those days when I could do nothing but read. I envy those of you who can.

On Sunday at the museum I met this fellow who simply raved about a book called Pillar of Fire. I thought perhaps it was one of Peters's novels, but I see now by Daughter_Of_SETI's list that it is not. In fact, it was written by a Judith Tarr. Anyone read any of her stuff, and does it compare with Peters's? All I can say is that Tarr's material seems to be a bit looser on facts and quite a ways more out there. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read Pillar of Fire and enjoyed it. It's really science fiction more than anything else though. I think that's where you find her books most of the time.

It's been quite a while so I'm hazy on the details. I do remember it one of those Akhenaten is Moses books Very Happy

this is from amazon.com:
Quote:
With her usual skill, Tarr (Throne of Isis) combines fact and fiction to create yet another remarkably solid historical novel set in ancient Egypt. This narrative is based on an intriguing premise: What if Moses, patriarch of monotheism, and the Pharaoh Akhenaten, who forbade the Egyptians from worshiping any god save the sun god Aten, were one and the same? After all, Akhenaten's body disappeared after his death, and Moses rose to prominence shortly thereafter. The third-person narration sticks close to the point of view of Nofret, a young Hittite slave girl who serves the Pharaoh's third daughter. Nofret is sharp-tongued and honest to a fault, qualities which, surprisingly, are valued by her aristocratic lady. The two women find their orderly lives turned upside down by Akhenaten's obsession with his god and his determination to father a son. After a devastating plague attributed to Akhenaten's misrule sweeps through the kingdom, Nofret finds refuge among some Hebrew slaves and makes her way to Sinai; later, although still dubious of his one god, she accompanies Moses/Akhenaten back to Egypt, where he demands that the slaves be freed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0812539036/102-8121695-9108135?v=glance&n=283155

As you can tell: Not exactly historically accurate. But I thought it was fun to read.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's been quite a while so I'm hazy on the details. I do remember it one of those Akhenaten is Moses books

Yes, that's the one this guy was telling me about. He and his son met up with me in the exhibit and they started to ask me all kinds of questions about Akhenaten. We talked for quite a while. His son, who was probably about thirteen, also asked me a lot of questions about Hatshepsut, so that endeared the lad to me. Laughing He was a very smart young man.

Anyway, the dad couldn't stop raving about Pillar of Fire. After they grilled me about Akhenaten, he said he was impressed with how much of what I told them was in the book.

I promise, I did not say Akhenaten went on to become Moses! Razz But that's what caught my attention and I wondered if the book did mix in a lot of credible history, like Peters does.

When it came time for this guy and his kid to leave, he shook my hand and gave the most earnest expression and said, "Remember, Pillar of Fire." He nodded to me and said again, "Pillar of Fire," then moved on.

LOL I guess he was a bit taken by this book.

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not I haven't read Pillar of Fire yet. I remember I was going to but for some reason I never did. I guess I know what book I will be buying next! Maybe even tomorrow. Very Happy
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have that Pillar of Fire book. It has been a while since I read it though. Might be one to bring with me on my trip. If you want to buy it, try used book stores.

Oh, and I'm about half way through Guardian of the Horizon.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Are you enjoying it? I certainly did! Tonight I am about to finish Seeing a Large Cat and either start The Hippopotamus Pool or The Ape Who Guards the Balance I am having a tough time deciding.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImageOfAten wrote:
Quote:

Are you enjoying it? I certainly did! Tonight I am about to finish Seeing a Large Cat and either start The Hippopotamus Pool or The Ape Who Guards the Balance I am having a tough time deciding.

Yes, I'm enjoying it alot. Just wish I'd read The Last Camel Died At Noon more recently. That would be a tough choice. You'll have a good read either way.

I'm now trying to decide if I should take The Ape Who Guards the Balance or Pillar of Fire when I go on vacation in a few weeks.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm now trying to decide if I should take The Ape Who Guards the Balance or Pillar of Fire when I go on vacation in a few weeks.

I would take both Wink
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would take both

Good idea. Read from one of them in the morning, the other in the afternoon...and party all night!

I'm a touch giddy because I'm taking some vacation time next week, and I'm going to buy one of Peters's books. It'll be my first. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
...and party all night!

I'm a touch giddy because I'm taking some vacation time next week

Laughing You do sound giddy! I bet you're taking a sneaky vacation to Egypt, aren't you? Wink

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bet you're taking a sneaky vacation to Egypt, aren't you?

LOL Yeah, you got it: to the Egypt exhibit at the Field, to the Egypt exhibit at the Oriental Institute...

I'm afraid that for the indefinite future, that's as close to Egypt as I'm going to get.

Oh, and in books too, of course. Books take me to Egypt. So I guess I'd better buy one of those Peters novels next week. Smile

Visit my blog!
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also trying to take a trip to the Egyptian exibit at the Field Museum. There are two books I'm already planning on taking with me. Even if I dont get to see it, Egypt is always fun to read about. And taking both other books does seem like a good idea. I probally wont be able to read all three novels on the trip, but options are nice. Then theres that long plane ride.

I'm going to see which of her books I can find at the library tomorrow.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you make it to Chicago and to the Field Museum. I'm a docent there so you might even see me. Just look for the person in the green polo shirt and khaki trousers with the Field Museum lanyard and I.D. badge...well, there are around 600 of us who dress like that. Very Happy

Are you planning on seeing the Tut exhibition, too? You could make a whole day of it: see the treasures of Tut and his ancestors of Dynasty 18, and tour our permanent Egyptian exhibit. Make it a couple of days and stop by the Oriental Institute, too. If you like books about Egypt, be prepared to spend big bucks at the O.I.! Razz

Visit my blog!
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont even know if I'm going to make to Chicago at all. Thats not really part of my trip, but it might be. Of course I plan to see King Tut if I can make it. Is there a main Egypt exibit too? I think I've seen that several years ago. I'm going to try and set an amount for me to spend there. After all, this will probally be only a few days of the trip.

And back on topic, almost done with GofH. Now on to another of the newer books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: