Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Khepesh Sword
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yves Van Herp
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dank je, Anneke!

This is really of some help to the project I'm working on. Hope I can be of some help too in the future.

And... I would really like to have my Easter holidays back there, the weather here is rainy and quite cold.

Kind regards,

Yves
Wink
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tomb of Horemheb (end 18th dynasty) includes some really interesting scenes from a military camp. Horemheb was an Army general before becoming Pharaoh, so these scenes show his life as General.

One relief shows soldiers preparing a meal and filling their waterskins.

Other reliefs show activities in some structure that some experts describe as “sheds roofed over with a gable upon a central row of columns and accesible through a side door”
The author thinks it depicts a tent.
What I found interesting waas that it depicts a servant sweeping the floor with brushes made of twigs, and there is a small boy pouring water on the floor (also for cleaning purposes?)
There are several small boys (with side-lock) doing chores: carrying waterskins, cleaning etc.

The inside of the “tent” shows food, amphora, and a folding chair.
Yves Van Herp
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.

I think this is quite interesting, because to my knowledge (but I really don't know half as much about it as I would like to) there aren't very many military scenes left, after all - and do correct me if I'm wrong - Egyptians were not a warlike people. The territory of their kingdom has never been that vast.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yves Van Herp wrote:
Thanks again.

I think this is quite interesting, because to my knowledge (but I really don't know half as much about it as I would like to) there aren't very many military scenes left, after all - and do correct me if I'm wrong - Egyptians were not a warlike people. The territory of their kingdom has never been that vast.

The egyptians seem to have regularly been at war with the Nubians. There were regular "expditions" into that area.
Thutmosis III was also quite a warrior. He is sometimes referred to as the "Napoleon of Egypt". (Maybe considering who came first we should call Napoleon the "Thutmosis of France" Laughing )

Amenhotep III brags that his territory spans from Nubia to Naharin (which is an area in Northern Iraq).

Their territory probably varied quite a bit over their history. They were invaded several times as well (Hyksos, assyrians, Nubians.)

They have found the tomb of General Djehuty from the time of Thutmosis III (I think). There is a papyrus referring to the "Taking of Joppa". Thhis talks about the military exploits of that time.
Yves Van Herp
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thutmosis III was indeed the "Napoleon of Egypt", but I think he was the only king who was so interested in war and expansion from his territory.
A big difference with Ramesses II, the "Builder King".
Wasn't Thutmoses III the son of Queen Hatshepsut? Maybe this declares a lot why he could be so war-like, his mother did quite well in his place, so well she was deposed off.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Thutmosis III was the nephew/step-son of Hatshepsut.

I wonder if that family had more war-like tendencies, because of where they came from.

Thutmosis's recent ancestors ( Seqenenre-Tao, Kamose, and Ahmose) had expelled the Hyksos. They also had to deal with an uprising in the south, so plenty of military action going on there.
Yves Van Herp
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I never heard of Seqenenre-Tao. But the Hyksos and the "Sea People" are also very intrigueing in the Egyptian history.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know virtually nothing about the Hyksos themselves. I would like to learn more about them though.

Sequnenre-Tao was a local prince in Thebes. Apohis (hope I remember the name right) sent him a message complaining that the hippopotami in the pool in Thebes were keeping him awake because of the noise they were making.

Considering the distance this is clearly just a pretext to start picking on someone. At some point Sequenenre-Tao gathered enough support to start a rebellion.

They have found his mummy, and it is clear that S-T fell in battle. There are axe and sword wounds evident on his head and torso.

It's a bit gruesome but here he is:

Yves Van Herp
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I know virtually nothing about the Hyksos themselves. I would like to learn more about them though.

Sequnenre-Tao was a local prince in Thebes. Apohis (hope I remember the name right) sent him a message complaining that the hippopotami in the pool in Thebes were keeping him awake because of the noise they were making.

Considering the distance this is clearly just a pretext to start picking on someone. At some point Sequenenre-Tao gathered enough support to start a rebellion.

They have found his mummy, and it is clear that S-T fell in battle. There are axe and sword wounds evident on his head and torso.

It's a bit gruesome but here he is:

There are indeed less gruesome ways to see your life ended.

Anneke, the "Apohis" guy you mentioned; can't it be "Apophis, the Patron of Evil and Darkness", the one also called "The Destroyer" and one of the most feared gods of the Egyptian pantheon?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a hyksos King named Apophis (I did misspell it).

I had never thought about the fact that he named himself after the ultimate god of Evil. Lovely character I'm sure.....

Quote:
can't it be "Apophis, the Patron of Evil and Darkness", the one also called "The Destroyer" and one of the most feared gods of the Egyptian pantheon?

Yves Van Herp
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must have been, naming yourself after the "devine snake"!
Rip Li
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Khepesh sword Reply with quote

Hey. I thought this section was about swords! Rolling Eyes

From what I read in that big coffee table book about Ramesses II, the khepesh sword is useful in many ways. It is a gift given by royalty to an underling such as a soldier who has proven himself in battle, such as Ramesses has done.

It is used to smash skulls, kill bugs, mash things, and as a club. It is not sharp like a real sword. The movie, The Mummy, displays it perfectly. The mummy skeletons have them as the advance on Brendon Fraser...
:rainbow1:
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yves Van Herp wrote:
It must have been, naming yourself after the "devine snake"!

The guy was called Apepi, indeed like the snake from the underworld. But I think there's no mention of the snake before the New Kingdom. Could it be it was the other way around? Sorry by the way, back to the sword Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: