Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The culture of the Ancient Egyptians
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonofthemummy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Jewelry Reply with quote

If we look at the jewelry of the ancient Near East, we see a lot of Egyptian stuff that got exported, as well as a lot of local emulations adapting Egyptian symbolism. Then, there are sculptural and funerary borrowings, as well.

They say that everybody doesn't like something, but nobody doesn't like Sara Lee. I think Egypt is like that. Their military expansions seem to me to be mostly motivated by the wish for secure borders, rather than any kind of open-ended imperialism.

If we are going to find a culture in human history that has had virtually nothing but a positive influence upon its neighbors and on posterity, I think Egypt is the prime candidate. I doubt that DHwty-ms did any real or lasting damage to Palestine, any more than we did to Japan.

And, as far as Biblical borrowings, it seems that the ritual gear invented by Moses was heavily adapted from his knowledge of Egyptian ceremony and theosophy. And, two chapters of the Book of Proverbs were lifted straight from the Instruction of Amenemope.

Egypt was and is an unparalleled good influence.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jewelry Reply with quote

sonofthemummy wrote:
Then, there are sculptural and funerary borrowings, as well.

I know that the ancient Egyptian's funerary techniques influenced many cultures, especially the Nubians, and in later times the Romans.

sonofthemummy wrote:
Their military expansions seem to me to be mostly motivated by the wish for secure borders, rather than any kind of open-ended imperialism.... I doubt that DHwty-ms did any real or lasting damage to Palestine

Yes, I believe that the ancient Egyptian's military campaigns were more about protecting themselves from invaders rather than exploiting other lands, but I guess that doesn't mean that they didn't surpress any foreign cultures in the places that they ruled. It may be that I'm going to have to emphasise the negative points that their military campaigns had on foreign cultures for my assignment, as I don't really believe the ancient Egyptians had any serious negative effects on foreign cultures either. Very Happy

sonofthemummy wrote:
Egypt was and is an unparalleled good influence.

I completely agree! I suppose my assignment is going to be slighty on-sided, but I wouldn't be doing an Egyptology course if I wasn't slightly biased (possibly Laughing ).

Thanks, sonofthemummy for your help. Wink

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
sonofthemummy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Bias Reply with quote

I know it sounds incredible because it is unique in human experience, but, I just don't see any evidence of cultural suppression the way we do with other societies. Morenz remarked that there was "no normative" trend in Egyptian religion. The Egyptians had 42 different nomic faiths, and the coexistence of these numerous cults and ways of doing things, I think, led to a sort of secure posture and ideological non-interference that we don't find in the agendas of other nations. I think that our bias for Egypt may owe itself to the fact that the Egyptians were (as far a humans go) free of bias, itself. Have we ever heard of an Egyptian saying "You have to believe this!"? Never. Egypt was full of people who could say, "Well, this is what my ancestors taught me. Maybe I will tell you more if I like you."
sonofthemummy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: And... Reply with quote

And, that is why I personally believe that if there is or there was ever a true religion, it was Egyptian religion. Because, they never pushed their ideas on anyone. It was hard enough just to get them to share. We do see some huge statements like at Abu Simbel, but, I believe that the suggestion of those colossal statues to down-river sailors was, "You are now entering a realm of people with some genuine self respect, so being on your best behavior is a requisite!" When you have the real thing, you don't need to advertise. From studying ma'at, I see that it was real, and not the spin or the hype that we find in modern society. It was a technology of well being and fair respect. It was a true thing, so it will never lose its newness, really.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: And... Reply with quote

sonofthemummy wrote:
.... Because, they never pushed their ideas on anyone.

Very Happy I completely agree. However, just because they never intentially influenced or surpressed foreign cultures, it doesn't mean that they never inadvertently effected their bordering countries when they brought them under the Egyptian rule. My guess is that they likely did alter their neighbours cultures, and not everyone would have seen it as a good thing, and some people probably still don't believe it was in those particular cultures best interests. As I said though, I still don't believe that the ancient Egyptians had a huge negative effect on many people at all, but I guess there is good and bad to everyone, as much as good and bad influences from everyone.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: