Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Speaking' statues?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: 'Speaking' statues? Reply with quote

Apparently I heard somewhere that there are 2 famous statues in Egypt that supposedly make noises or were reputed to be 'speaking' at certain times of the day or year, according to legend. Can anyone clarify this and find more info about this because i've never heard about this before.

Is the 'sound' of the statues nothing more than a fanciful myth, or is it a real phenomenon, and if it really happens, what is the cause of the sound?

(It feels very lonely on this board these days... Sad )
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "Collosi of Memnon" were rumored to "speak.

from http://www.touregypt.net/collmem.htm

These statues are the only remains of a large mortuary temple built by (and for) Amenhotep III. The Statues depict the seated figures of the King, with his wife Tiye and mother Mutemwiya standing alongside his legs.

The "speaking" occured when the wind whistled through the cracks of the statues. Supposedly they stopped speaking after a restoration Cool

Quote:
Due to an earthquake in 27 BC, these statues became known for a bell like tone that usually occurred in the morning due to rising temperatures and humidity. Thus they were equated by the early Greek travelers with the figure of Memnon, the son of Aurora who's mother, Eos, was the goddess of dawn. To be granted a song meant that you were very much in favor of the gods. Visitors came from miles around to hear the music, including Emperor Hadrian, in 130 A.D. The Roman emperor Septimius Severus, seeking to repair the statues in 199 AD, inadvertently silenced them forever.

isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this was a real sound...seems like a kind of resonance effect (I know about that-I study physics)
I read somewhere else that the 'speaking' was simply due to priests who would speak from a secret chamber underneath the statue to give the effect that the statue was speaking.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
So this was a real sound...seems like a kind of resonance effect (I know about that-I study physics)

Yes, I think so. Too bad it doesn't make that sound anymore. That would be something to hear. Maybe a bit spooky too Laughing

isisinacrisis wrote:
I read somewhere else that the 'speaking' was simply due to priests who would speak from a secret chamber underneath the statue to give the effect that the statue was speaking.

I have heard about that too. But that refers to practices in Ancient Egypt. There are reports that Amon would "speak' and give his blessing to a new pharaoh. I don't know if they actually resorted to ventriloquism or if they just claimed that he spoke in the inner sanctuary.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I find a picture on the web of it, I'll show u, but I have an image in one of my books (don't ask me the name - I'm terrible in remembering sources), depicting an image of Horus. What's special about it, is that there's a cavity inside the statue, leading from its socket to the beak of the falcon. That beak could be mooved by a rope attached to it, when pulled at from the socket. Opinion is that it was a votive statue, giving the impression the god was speaking himself.

Quote:
(It feels very lonely on this board these days... Sad )

I'm feeling guilty now Confused
If u missed me, sorry, I was very very busy, i didn't even get the chance to finish my... - still a surprise, but I think u'll like it...
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(It feels very lonely on this board these days... )

Aww I'm not going to have quite so much time here for a while either, as work is getting very busy.
But I have got a half dozen books out of the library to keep withdrawl at bay!
A SURPRISE Bart?? Sounds intriguing.....is it for all of us?? Wink
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for all Embarassed
You'll find it in some minutes at 'art and literature'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: