Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching a 3 hour presentation Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankh
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Teaching a 3 hour presentation Help! Reply with quote

Hey I am not really requesting homework help but this forum looked like the closest match. I have written a 30 page paper on Egyptology and Tutankhamun and as a result have read about 15 books on the subject of Tutankhamun and all so I am pretty sure I will be good on the information. My second part of this college Junior Honors project is a three hour presentation and helping with the tour of the Chicago field museum Tut exhibit. My question is if anyone who has taught a class or session on anything Egypt and how that goes. I am deeply concerned about it being a boring 3 hour history lesson and want to know how on earth to not make it that. I want interaction and excitement, so they can feel the fascination and intense excitement that I feel with Ancient Egypt. Thanks for all of your help!!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a teacher I can tell you that keeping someone's attention for 3 hours is close to impossible to do. Even people who go to a movie start complaining if the movie is too long and that's pure entertainment.

Whenever I interact with an audience or students for such a long period, I try to break up the session into shorter parts. Maybe 40 minute blocks with some breaks in between? If you can do something interactive then that would be good too.

Do you have room to split people into groups and have them explore different aspects of egyptian history and then switch stations?

The details also really depend on who your audience is. How large is the group you are dealing with? How old are they? What is their background for as far as Egypt goes?
If I knew a bit more, I might be able to give more suggestions. Wink

My background in teaching is as a professor of math at a university, so I don't teach history but I do know a fair amount about trying to keep people's attention and challenges in trying to keep people engaged Smile

One of the members here is a docent at the Field Museum so he should be able to give you some good pointers as well. I have seen him give a tour and he's very good.
Ankh
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for your willingness to help give suggestions first off!! I really appriciate it! But the group i assume will be about 10-20 people? but not all that large. They are mostly going to be Juniors and Seniors in College but there is a possibility that a couple underclassmen could stop in because it is open but the upperclassmen are required to be there. Their background as far as Egypt and Tut would probably be only what they teach in a world civilizations class, and what they actually remember about that, so virtually nothing lol! I have also seen the exhibit and have the companion book and have studied it well and know the exhibit, but would welcome any expert tips and advice! And the room could be any room i choose so i could have it be able to have stations per say. Hope this helps! Thanks again!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Very Happy

To just brainstorm some ideas:

I would divide up the presentation into several separate modules. This helps refocus people’s attention throughout the talk. Powerpoint or some slides of the photographs would be a wonderful visual aid that will keep people involved.

I thought I would give you an outline of what I would be doing. Feel free to ignore me btw Very Happy

I would divide up the presentation in this way:
1. The discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamen.
Talk about the work that had been done by Belzoni, Davies, etc in the Valley of the Kings. Then talk about the partnership between Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon. You could mention the discovery of KV54, the embalming cache. Then the story of the discovery. If you can get a hold of copies of the original photographs by Burton then that would be wonderful. You can chat about the evidence of earlier intrusions. Tomb robberies etc. Then talk about the difficult task of excavating the tomb and preserving all the finds.
Ask the audience if they have heard of the latest excavations of KV63? About the difficulties of preserving some of the wood there? Relate it to the modern age.

2. The exhibit in the Field Museum and the Oriental Institute
These are a good topic for the second segment. This would allow you to talk a bit more about the use of photography during the excavation. The fact that the photos (50 of ‘em at least) were displayed at the OI.
Then talk about the items on display in the Field Museum. This also gives you a way to introduce some of Tut’s relatives which you can them talk about later. Again, this is a time where copious use of slides is a good idea.
Talk about your favorite items that are on display. That way you can share your enthusiasm and knowledge. Talk about the shabtis, the gods, some of the incredible craftsmanship that went into producing these items. You can mention that Tutankhamen came after the religious revolution of the Amarna period and mention that you will explain more about that shortly (part 3). Pull your audience into the discussion by asking if they have some favorite items among the ones you have shown them.

3. Tutankhamen and his relatives: or the Amarna Period.
I would show a slide of the bust of Nefertiti and ask if they know who this is. I bet you some of the people will know. Mentions that Tut came right after the time of Nefertiti. Ask if anyone knows the name of her husband (LOL) and discuss the changes in religion and how this may have impacted the country. Then talk about how Tut was a boy when he came to the throne and how the country was returned to orthodoxy by his advisors. You may mention people like the treasurer Maya, the General Horemheb and the advisor Aye who would play such a big role later. Talk a bit about Amenhotep III and Tiye who are though by some to be his grand-parents and by others to be his parents. Maybe Tiye’s parents could be brought in again and remind them of some of the pieces from the exhibit relating to these people.

4. Then finish with the time after Tutankhamen. Talk about the Dahamunzu letter. LOL A little drama and intrigue involving a queen always sound interesting. Mention some of the murder theories. Then the results of the CT scans. Who followed Tut on the throne and what happened to the country.

In general: Ask if there are questions or comments between the segments if people are not asking questions already. Have as much discussion as you can. If people are involved they will enjoy it more. And show slides. Visual aides are wonderful and always make for an enjoyable experience for the audience. If you could find a short movie about the subject that you could use, then that would be fantastic as well. Even just short segments from a video would be interesting.

These are just some ideas. Feel free to ignore any parts you don’t like. But that’s roughly what I would do.
Maybe have a 5 minute or more break for some informal discussions halfway through?

And stopping a couple of minutes early and then saying that you would be quite happy to continue talking to those interested would be a good way to end it as well.
Ankh
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

That’s just amazing!! You are just full of ideas aren't you?? I am so grateful for the advice and set up that an experienced teacher as yourself has! Thanks so much for your help and incredible perspective of this presentation. I really like your ideas and am more than grateful for your help and assistance! This is looking like a wonderful presentation! Again I am greatly thankful for your time and expertise in this subject and the help you have brought to me!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I enjoyed it. It's always nice and fun to think about teaching and how to put a presentation together.

BTW If you're looking for some images to use for your presentation.
Then the following websites are a great resource:

Jon Bodsworth's site contains copyright free images and there are quite a few related to Tutankhamen. They would be easily printed onto overheads if you needed them.
http://www.egyptarchive.co.uk/

Another site you may already know about is the Griffith Institute Website.
They have the original photographs by Burton and the cards with depscriptions by Carter. This is a fabulous resource.
Check the copyright for the pictures. But usually there is some statement that images may be used for limited educational purposes.
http://www.ashmol.ox.ac.uk/gri/4tut.html

The database of all finds is really fun to browse through. Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt I can top all the great stuff anneke contributed, but I'm the docent at the Field whom she mentioned. I work with the Tut exhibit every weekend and have given many PowerPoint presentations to private groups who come to tour the exhibit. We do this with most of the large temporary exhibits we have at the Field.

But three hours? Ouch! That's a long time. We keep our presentations for the Tut exhibit to about 20 to 25 minutes, but we're pressed to get people inside the galleries. What we're doing is laying a foundation for the groups so they'll have a better understanding of what they're going to see. I've attended numerous lectures given by Egyptologists at the Field and the O.I., and even those are rarely longer than an hour and a half.

I couldn't agree more with anneke about breaking your presentation into smaller chunks of time, and building a certain theme for each stage of the presentation. You can't expect a group (large or small) to digest, much less enjoy, three hours of information all at one time.

And I cannot stress enough that you have some sort of PowerPoint presentation or slide show from which to build the stages of your presentation. You need to make this experience visual. For example, I recently attended an Outreach program hosted by the O.I. at a local library, and it lasted probably two hours tops. A good friend of mine (a docent at both the Field and the O.I.) was the presenter, and I just came along to help. He showed a very interesting slide show with general slides of ancient Egypt, the collections at the Field and the O.I., and the Tut exhibit in particular. He sat in the back and spoke from there, out of view, while the slide show ran, so as not to be a distraction. Afterward, there were activities for kids and we ran a PowerPoint from a Mac laptop just to keep lots of visual images in play. It was a super evening. It helped that another friend of mine had given me a disk of photos of everything in the Tut exhibit, and I burned a disk for my O.I. friend to use.

I really like anneke's suggestions for topics. LOL You can tell she's a professional educator. That link to the Griffith Institute web site she provided is one of the best you can find: it's loaded with photographs, mostly shot by Burton. This link brings you right to the start of the photo pages, and you can just click through the pages and download photos that interest you.

I hope all of your preparations go well. It sounds like fun, Ankh. Wink

Visit my blog!
Ankh
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both again so very much for your help and advice! It is greatly appriciated and i value the information so much! Thanks so much! kmt_sesh i will be coming through the museum on a weekend in about a month to the day with my group! We will be there together possibly! lol! You are very lucky to be able to be working with those artifacts! I am jealous! lol! Thanks again I am very glad to have "met" you both so to speak and have been most impressed with the personell running and on this site! Keep up the good work, you should be proud! Thanks again!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome, Ankh. Wink

Are you renting a lecture hall from the Field? How does that work? I sure wouldn't mind peeking in while you're there just to see how it's going. I have some presentations to give this weekend at the museum so I'll probably be thinking of you and your 3-hour ordeal!

I hope it all comes together for you. It's a great opportunity.

Visit my blog!
Ankh
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. I am actually giving my presentation on campus and then helping explain the tour to my group. That would have been very cool to have you pop in for the presentation though! Who knows we may bump into each other while we are there!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought you were going to be part of a large teachers' workshop we're having next weekend. There will be over 120 teachers, ambassadors, and students there and I'm one of the docents who will be running it for the museum. I'm looking forward to that. Smile

Visit my blog!
Ankh
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of fun! Are they all presenting stuff on Egypt? Or just on lots of different things? Very cool! Have fun with it! Would be a great thing to be a part of!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a better handle on it now (I wasn't sure about it until today). The teachers groups will be visiting different exhibitions and will be participating in activities in each one. I helped design programs for the Egypt hall, where I'll be working. We're helping teachers to plan out learning activities for their students. I had thought there would be students in attendance as well, but that's not the case. We're planning on having around 200 educators there, not 120. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: