Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what are they called?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: what are they called? Reply with quote

I know that the Egyptians used to mummify a type of bird, and I was wondering if you knew what type of bird it was Idea I think it was put into a few tombs after they were mummified, dunno if that helps.
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, The Aten. Smile I think the bird that you're probably referring to is the Ibis. The Ibis was sacred to the god, Thoth (he was depicted with the head of an Ibis), and there was a cemetey (or possibly more than one) dedicated to the Ibis, one of the cemeteries may have been at Abydos but I'm not completely sure. Confused

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also embalmed falcons, the bird of Horus.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
They also embalmed falcons, the bird of Horus.

Laughing Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Horus!

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time of the great animal cults, often other animals that weren't pets, votive animals, or sacred animals were mumified. For example, owls weren't considered in any of the above categories, but five different species of owls were found mummified at Tuna el-Gebel.

In ancient Egypt, the care of animals was given the same inportance as caring for humans; it is thought that these owl mummies were an example of this principal.

HTH

kat newkirk

Ikram, Salima, _Divine Creatures Animal Mummies in Ancient Egypt_, American University in Cairo Press, Cairo, c. 2005, ISBN 977 - 424 - 858 - 9

VELDE, te H. ‘A few remarks upon the religious significance of animals in Ancient Egypt’ in Numen xxvii, 1980, pp. 76-82.
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the Ibis that I was thinking about, thanks guys.
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aten wrote:
It was the Ibis that I was thinking about, thanks guys.

I just came across this Website, and thought you may find it of interest, The Aten. Razz Here's a quote from it:

Quote:
Ibis mummies and mummies of birds of prey were often mummified using the same technique. The birds were grasped by the feet and plunged into a vat of liquid resin, before being wrapped elaborately in bandages, then perhaps sold to the pilgrims who wished to give these as offerings to the gods, and put into ceramic jars, often three or four to a jar, which were then placed in the catacombs. Lengths of palm-rib were often used to make the mummies rigid, as was done with some human mummies of the period. A few ibis mummies were eviscerated, but this does not seem to be the rule. It is estimated that at Saqqara alone there were over 10,000 birds buried annually in the ibis and falcon catacombs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: