Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TALATAT in the LUXOR TEMPLE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carla
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: TALATAT in the LUXOR TEMPLE Reply with quote

A while ago I found hidden in a quiet corner of the Luxor Temple blocks from a Temple of Achnaton !! They are standing there now already for years Shocked
I really don't no what they are doing there. Possible from Karnak reused by other builders. Here some pics of the blocs, it is a very special feeling to be so close near Amarna blocks !!

Is that Nefertiti at the right ??

ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love too see those blocks in person! I appreciate you taking time to post those beautiful photos. You took them yourself I assume?
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla, thanks for posting those wonderful pictures Smile Smile .
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures! I enjoyed them very much.
I wasn't aware that Akhenaten even built at Luxor. I knew, of course, of the constuction at Kaenak.
If by the question--is that Nefertiti?--you mean the faceless form of the female on the right--I doubt very much if it is her--she has no type of crown or diadem on her head that I can see.
Interesting photos, though. I wonder what type of building they are from?
Nekht-Ankh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these blocks in situ as part of some structure in which they have been re-used, or have they been piled up somewhere by modern-day conservators?
carla
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You took them yourself I assume?

Yes, I took all the photograph's that I place on the forum by myself Smile

Quote:
If by the question--is that Nefertiti?--you mean the faceless form of the female on the right--I doubt very much if it is her--she has no type of crown or diadem on her head that I can see.

I mean this figure:

I don't no why but I have the feeling that it is Nefertiti, that was the first thing came into my head, when I saw the relief for the first time.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking so hard trying to find the one you meant, I missed that one. Laughing I thin you're right--it looks definately like a royal, and only Nefertiti is ever shown holding the regal regalia. Looks like her "Crown" too.
carla
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekht-Ankh wrote:
Are these blocks in situ as part of some structure in which they have been re-used, or have they been piled up somewhere by modern-day conservators?

I really don't no, can't find it anywhere Shocked I will ask a friend in Luxor in november, maybe he nows where they came from and what they are doing there Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think the woman with the tripartite wig is Nefertiti. She could very well have been wearing the tripartite wig topped with the diadem and hathoric headdress. She may have had a uraeus on her brow. The crowns and other regalia could have easily been in the original scene but lost when the scene was hacked to pieces I think.
I think it has to be a woman (men don't wear those wigs) and she would be the only one shown offering under the rays of the Aten. (Unless there's a small chance it's Tiye?).

I think the figure Carla pointed out is Akhenaten. He seems to be wearing the royal crook and flail and what looks like the heb-sed cloak?

And I think this is the princess Meritaten Smile :

Last edited by anneke on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This close-up is also interesting:

It shows Akhenaten on the left with 4 cartouches. In Amarna there are usually 5: 2 for the Aten, 2 for Akhenaten, and 1 for Nefertiti.
Here Nefertiti is aparrently not included.
I am rather struck by the crudeness of the inscriptions here! This is not really very high quality work.

This scene looks like it may show a queen behind a king:

Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article in the National Geographic (in the 1970s, I think) about these blocks. They were removed from one of the pylons during restoration. There was an early temple to the Aten built near the other temple complexes. Later pharoahs used the talatat as filler for their own constructions.

There was (an may still be) a project where they photographed all of the blocks they could find. Then they began trying to match blocks to discover what the wall decorations looked like, to virtually reconstruct a temple they couldn't build in reality.

Diorite
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor form, following myself, but I found the issue - November, 1970 National Geographic, if you are interested.

Diorite
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad to see such objects exposed to the elements...incredible what egypt once was and now is.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Anneke : I personally think the woman with the tripartite wig is Nefertiti. She could very well have been wearing the tripartite wig topped with the diadem and hathoric headdress. She may have had a uraeus on her brow. The crowns and other regalia could have easily been in the original scene but lost when the scene was hacked to pieces I think.

On this talatat from Karnak ( 9th pylon) Nefertiti wears the same tripartite wig .

http://balancedes2terres.free.fr/article.php3?id_article=316
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any who can't read French are interested, I can post a translation I did, dusting off my rusty French skills. It's been a long time, I was surprised how easy most of it was.

Diorite
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: