Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Akhenaten's palaces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Akhenaten's palaces Reply with quote

I read Akhenaten had a north river side palace and a kings house joined by a bridge over the royal road. Is it true he had another place 2 miles down after the royal road?
Gerard
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some maps :
http://members.tripod.com/~ib205/***
http://www.thearchitecturestore.co.uk/citypage-2.html
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Akhenaten's palaces Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote:
I read Akhenaten had a north river side palace and a kings house joined by a bridge over the royal road.

Yes it's true. On that bridge there was possibly the famous 'balcony of apparition' from where the Royal Family rewarded their favorites and officials as depicted in some tombs like Parenefer's and Aye/Tey's.

Chrismackint wrote:
Is it true he had another place 2 miles down after the royal road?

I'd never know that. I just know that there was a North Palace which 'Lady of the House' was probably Kiya (while the riverside's palace Lady of the House was Nefertiti).
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this referring to the Maru-Aten maybe?
This structure was to the south and I do think it had a palace component on the grounds if I remember correctly.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this map there was another palace quite a distance from the kings house/great palace complex.

Perhaps "South Palace Kom El Nana" refers to another palace complex or the Maru-Aten?

I don't know much about Maru-Aten....is this the same temple Semenkhare converted into/added a palace?Perhaps i am getting confused with the Gem Pa Aten? All the names are so similar i have lost myself.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we refer to the North Palace do we mean

NorthPalace=Riverside Palace/Kings House/Great Palace

it's very confusing as there are so many different names for the same buildings when it comes to amarna palaces....

i am under the impression this site referred to as South Palace Kom El Nana is either another palace rarely mentioned or the place associated with Semenkhare which he converted part of into a palace complex.

Maru-Aten/Gem Pa Aten, i used to know what these were but i have now forgotten, i think they are temples to the aten or something....

If South Palace Kom El Nana is another palace that would mean there were three palaces in amarna? That seems like a lot to me just for one city...i wonder how many palaces were normally constructed in the capital during other periods?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's is an old discussion of the palaces here:
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=483

The North Palace is a smaller palace at the northern end of the city and was likely built for one of the Queens (Kiya, Nefertiti?) and later may have been used by Meritaten.

The Great Palace is the one in the central part of the city and adjacent to some of the government buildings.

I'm not sure what the "Riverside Palace" refers to? I have always seen the North Palace referred to as just that. So maybe another name for the Great Palace?

I think the South Palace is the Maru-Aten.

According to Amarna website

Kom el-Nana is "an enclosure south of the main city and to the east of the modern village of el-Hagg Qandil, originally built by Akhenaten probably as a sun temple. "

Same site gives:
"Maru-Aten Archaeological accounts of el-Amarna may mention a further sun-temple (or palace) south of the main area of ruins, near the village of el-Hawata, called Maru-Aten. This site is now lost beneath modern fields."

I think the South palace refers to the Maru-Aten, but Kom el Nana refers to yet another site.
Rammesside_Queens
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.therafoundation.org/articles/art/palacedecorationattellelamarna

this is a fantastic site...really detailed Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: