Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The moon god Yah
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: The moon god Yah Reply with quote

According to touregypt, there was a god named Yah.
This god became important during the rule of the Hyksos. It is noted that the 17th dynasty (and maybe 18th dynasty) incorporated this god in their names.

Quote:
The daughter of the 17th Dynasty king, Tao I, was Yah-hotep, meaning "Yah is content". The name of the next and last ruler of the 17th Dynasty, Kamose, may have also been derived from Yah. His name means ""the bull is born", and this might be the Egyptian equivalent of the epithet applied to Sin describing him as a "young bull...with strong horns (i.e. the tips of the crescent moon). Also another interpretation of the name of the founder of the 18th Dynasty, Ahmose, is Yahmose, which would mean "Yah is born".

What about Queen Ahhotep, is it really Yahhotep?
What about the famous Queen Ahmose-Nefertari, is her name Yahmose-Nefertari?
(Yu-yah and Tu-yah as parents of Queen Tiye ???)

(Not to mention the obvious similarity with the hebrew Yahweh)

Anyone here know anything about this god and it's worshippers?
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is new-I thought Thoth or Khonsu were the moon gods. I haven't heard of Yah.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them are supposedly moongods.
Yah (or Aah) is not anywhere near as well known as the others. That's why I'm kinda interested in them. Very Happy
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to say that I'm interested in Yah.

Anyone heard of any temples, priests, ceremonies etc.

I think I saw something about a priest of Yah somewhere, but I can't find it Confused
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So since Ahhotep is used in the example of a Yah name, does this mean that the "Y" is a silent letter? I've read a bit on Ah but haven't seen him referred to as Yah yet.
Ah is a ancient form of Khonsu who is also associated with Thoth. Osiris is also a moon god. In Egypt the moon cults are of great antiquity due to the moons importance to agriculture (modern times we call it Holistic farming) and hunter gathering rites.
It's thought he was the son of Apet a mother deity who was identified with Taurt the hippopotamus goddess of maternity and 'mother of the gods'. At Thebes Osiris and Ombos, Osiris was regarded as the son of the sacred hippopotamus.
reference: Egyptian Myth and Legends by Donald Mackenzie
I wonder why, with his rise to prominance during the Hyksos expulsion, that there seems to be nothing in the way of a temple left (that I know of anyway). Amun is given credit, even though Amun has lunar characteristics (he wears a solar disk with a lunar crescent and is hailed 'lord of corn'), Ah as himself, seems to have lucked out.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Not to mention the obvious similarity with the hebrew Yahweh)

You know I wonder if this is one source for the the Joseph as Yuya theories. One states that Jo/Yu is the Hebrew root word for Yah, the contraction of 'yhwh' and that Joseph in arabic is Yu seph.
Yah translated as Jo, is used in many Hebrew names.
sorry don't mean to get fringe and off topic Wink
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Yah, Ah and Ia are all the same god.

I was wondering about Yuya's name too. I was looking at a book with objects from Yuya's tomb. The hieroglyphics are hard to see. (Or I need reading glasses Laughing )
I have found his name spelled as 'double dash'-'chick' which I think is pronounced Yu.
Another inscription looked more like 'double dash'-'vulture' The 'vulture' is pronounced more as a gutteral 'uh' I think. So you end up with more of a Yuh or Yoh pronunciation. But I had to do this with a book of hieroglyphics in hand, and I could be off.
(with the chicks and vultures felt like I was bird watching Laughing )
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right btw. I think this is (partially) where the joseph/yuya story comes from.

It was interesting trying to transliterate the names of Yuya and Tuya. I can see why there are so many different spellings!

Tuya seems more like Tjuji or Tjuja according to the rules from my book about reading hieroglyphics.
I did find her title as "royal ornament". Another translation would be "royal diadem" or "royal jewel".
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(with the chicks and vultures felt like I was bird watching )

Laughing What book have you got there? I haven't bought one yet on reading glyphs, but would dearly love to start learning.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's "How to read Egyptian hieroglyphics" by Mark COllier and Bill Manley.

It's very difficult to do. I can find names and sometimes find certain expressions. 'pyramid' - 'ankh' means something like "gives life". Things like that.
It's fun though Smile
Yves Van Herp
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found something concerning "Yah" from a certain Dr. G. Reckart. It says the following about this - to me! - obscure god:

"One of the false gods the Jews worshipped was YAH. This pagan idol has its roots in Babylon and Egypt. This is the lunar or moon god. In Babylon the moon god is called Ia or Ya. It has both a female and a male identity. In Egypt the Babylon female Ia or Ya" was changed into a male god and the female god was named "Shua" and made the sky god. When a person then combines these forms into Iashua or Yashua, they have made the moon god, the sky god.
This Babylonian/Egypt deity is also called Baal throughout the Scriptures. Th Jews did worship the moon god when they apostated into idolatry from the true god Ehyeh asher Ehyeh (Elohim/Adonai).
This moon god also has the name of Thoth."

I don't know that it's much of a help, but eitherway there seems to be some link here between Egyptian, Jewish and Babylonian religion!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. That's really interesting.

There's also some link to the worship of bulls/cows. The quote from touregypt several posts ago alludes to that. I wonder if that's what the biblical story is alluding to when Moses comes down from the mountain and finds that his people have fashioned idols in the form of calfs.

I wonder if it's this god Ya's worship they were practicing.

I think Baal was worshipped in Egypt, but my impression is that that was at a later time.
Yves Van Herp
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Thanks for the info. That's really interesting.

There's also some link to the worship of bulls/cows. The quote from touregypt several posts ago alludes to that. I wonder if that's what the biblical story is alluding to when Moses comes down from the mountain and finds that his people have fashioned idols in the form of calfs.
I wonder if it's this god Ya's worship they were practicing.

I think Baal was worshipped in Egypt, but my impression is that that was at a later time.

That's indeed a very interesting suggestion! And Moses being a prominent Egyptian like some sources hint to! Or am Idreaming out loud now? Laughing
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yves wrote:
And Moses being a prominent Egyptian like some sources hint to! Or am Idreaming out loud now?

People think of him as a hebrew raised by the egyptian royal family. He was adopted by a Princess. I have seen her name alternately given as Tarmuthis and Bitiah. Neither really matches any known royal princesses.

I do find the connection between Ya and Thoth intriguing. Thoth was self created. I think of him as the god of wisdom.
I wonder if Yah was viewed the same way?
Yves Van Herp
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Thoth was also the god of the moon. And he was indeed a "self-created" god who invented magic and writing. That's what I found about him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: