Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dont read if easily offended
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: dont read if easily offended Reply with quote

sorry about the title I dont mean offended in a bad way, just, maybe made to feel uneasy.

I was reading part of my book today, because I forgot my P.E kit Very Happy, and it said that Tutankhamun had gold sheaths on his fingers, toes and, this is the wierd bit, his erect penis, now, I'm no scientist, but surely not! how could it be erect after 3000 years!?! Idea and then, a year or so later someone stole it!!! Shocked who would steal that kind of thing?
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear, I can see the puns rolling out with this thread. I guess you can say Tut was 'stiff' in more ways than one Laughing

Joking aside...I don't know how it could be erect. Most mummy penis aren't...
Maybe it was artificially erect, ie stiffened with wood or something (lol I do mean wood from trees here!!)

Tomb robbers will steal anything. Usually gold and blingy things but I'm sure some of them were a little pervy. Maybe the thief wanted the Tut's phallus just because, well, it's the pharaoh's doo-dah. Maybe he'd think it was some magical fertility amulet or something. (And he then put it on eBay for a laugh Laughing )
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
I don't know how it could be erect. Most mummy penis aren't...

how the heck do you know that??
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remember watching a movie about the scanning of a mummy and his penis was certainly not erect (and they did refer to it-they just said 'as you can see, this mummy is male'). And most male mummies I've seen don't have anything poking out of the wrappings in that part of the body-not that I've actually been looking for anything poking out! Hehehe I'm not that pervy, don't worry Wink
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know any other reasons why it was erect??
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of the reason how (apart from artificial stiffening) but I think I may know why...either fertility in the afterlife, or an allusion to the Osiris myth.
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point, maybe the fertility thing is true.
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about this, but wouldn't the resins used help to stiffen his manhood?

On the subject of his stolen penis; I had a conversation about this with Kmt_sesh quite a while back, and I seem to remember him saying it was more 'lost' than 'stolen', but I reckon someone else will know a lot more about it than me. Tutankhamun's not really my speciality....

The Aten wrote:
does anyone know any other reasons why it was erect??

I think the pharaoh was meant to represent Osiris, although it seems more like an aspect of Min to me.... Idea

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
I had a conversation about this with Kmt_sesh quite a while back, and I seem to remember him saying it was more 'lost' than 'stolen',
yeh it said that in the book, but it said that it was probably HC (carter) because he stole pretty much everything else Laughing apparently his right ear went "missing" as well!
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly the "missing member" was relocated during the last examination.
Smartie
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did his member get lost anyways?
someone cut it off? Idea
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smartie wrote:
how did his member get lost anyways?
someone cut it off? Idea

I think it had something to do with how badly the body of Tutankhamun was treat when Howard Cater and his team unwrapped his mummy. His body was decapitated, amputated, and sawn, to remove his amulets and jewellery etc, so it's hardly surprising that parts disappeared. There are photographs that were taken around that time (I forget the date) that showed his "member" and also his ear, but in later photographs they were missing. His "member" was discovered recently in the sand where he was left.

A very important thing to loose though.... Idea

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the how: it was held in an erect position by a wooden splint/easel. About the why: it's an obvious symbol of fertility and (re)generation.

And yes, Dr. Hawass found it loose in the sand tray Tut rests on, during the CT exam before the traveling dog and pony show got started on its merry rounds.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was right about the wood Wink

the 'travelling pony show'-are you referring to just Hawass's general publicity stunts, or to the big exhibition-if it's the latter...surely it can't be that bad? I'm sure Seshie can tell you otherwise...
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the 'travelling pony show'-are you referring to just Hawass's general publicity stunts, or to the big exhibition-if it's the latter...surely it can't be that bad? I'm sure Seshie can tell you otherwise...

I admit I've not seen the show, but the catalog is highly overated- full of 'artsy' shots of the artifacts, text written at a children's level, etc.

The only thing I'm really interested in that's in the exhibit is a pair statue from Bubastis that was published by Habachi in the 1950's. And while I really want to see this statue, if I have to travel to see it, I may as well save up for a trip to Egypt!

Tut is over-rated and becoming somewhat trite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: