Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A hidden Papyri

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: A hidden Papyri Reply with quote

I am reading a book called the Tutankhamun Deception, and apparently there was a papyrus scroll buried with the boy king, but it went missing, probably Carter himself Twisted Evil, but apparently it was to do with the jews and the bible story of the passover, has anyone else read/heard of this? and has it been located yet if it is true.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still open to debate- apparently there were linen clothes rolled up in some of the boxes, and on first glance were mistaken for papyri.

Interesting synchronicity here - I just got a copy of this book, but haven't started reading it yet.

There are some excellant speculations about this supposedly missing papyrus in a really good work of fiction called _Sphinx_ by Robin Cook.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aten wrote:
Quote:
...but apparently it was to do with the jews and the bible story of the passover, has anyone else read/heard of this?

I wouldn't put too much stock in this...or any at all. The timing is way off. It's quite doubtful the Pentateuch had even been established yet, and quite awhile would pass before the ancient Jews even became an kingdom. At this point (in Tut's time) they were likely little more than a modest band of semi-nomadic herdsman.

Neither Carter nore his team were the kind to secret away something of such tremendous value, anyway. One of the primary reasons Carter was looking for this tomb was to find textual evidence.

kat wrote:
Quote:
There are some excellant speculations about this supposedly missing papyrus in a really good work of fiction called _Sphinx_ by Robin Cook.

I used to read a lot of Cook's books but then they descended too far into the realm of the otherworldly. He needs to stick to medical thrillers, which is where he shines. I recently bought his latest, Crisis (at least I think it's his latest), because it features the Jack Stapleton character, whom I always liked.

I think I've heard of Sphinx but I don't know anything about it. Is it worth reading? Is it waaaay too weird? Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:

I think I've heard of Sphinx but I don't know anything about it. Is it worth reading? Is it waaaay too weird? Very Happy

I found it a little too much heaving breasts and a little too little Egyptology for my tastes. I found the heroine to be a stupid cow.

Diorite
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I've heard of Sphinx but I don't know anything about it. Is it worth reading? Is it waaaay too weird?

It was her second published novel, and about the same level as Elizabeth Peter's _Night Train to Memphis_. It's a bit speculative, but readable, fast-paced with a good overview of the illegal antiquities market and the smugglers, as well as pithy comments on some officials either turning a blind eye or in some instances participating in this.

Quote:
I found it a little too much heaving breasts and a little too little Egyptology for my tastes. I found the heroine to be a stupid cow.

Well, it's not as bad as the stuff in the bodice-ripper genre!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ooo, that sounds naughty. Laughing

Visit my blog!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kat wrote:

That doesn't say much! Laughing

Diorite
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: