Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ramses series of books by Christian Jacq
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Ramses series of books by Christian Jacq Reply with quote

I just found out yesterday that one of my teachers is also interested in AE, so we were having a little chat for a while, and today he brought in a book called Ramses The son of the light, It is a series of books about Ramses, they are more of a nevel than factual, but they were written by an Egyptologist, has anyone read these before? are they good? thanks for reading this post Razz
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that people either really love Christian Jacq's books or really hate them (there doesn't seem to be much middle ground in opinions). Myself, I completely love them love10 , they're a mixture of fact and fiction - but obviously are in the fiction section of a library - and I consider them very well written. I think that people possibly fixate on the falsities of the stories a little too much, they're not meant to be factual, just entertaining. I think that Christian Jacq provides a lot of knowledge on Ancient Egyptians in general through his books (possibly due to his own experiences), but the Ramses series in particular shouldn't be taken too seriously, as unfortunately [the real] Ramses' character isn't known nearly as well as it is assumed from reading the books. I found it very interesting reading about the many rituals that the pharaohs had to take part in. Very Happy

My favourite series of Christian Jacq's is the Stone of Light books, they're about the village of Deir el-Medina (where the tomb builders lived that worked in The Valley of the Kings / Queens / Nobles), they're very good. Well worth a read in my opinion.
Wink

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaq's fiction is a bit too over the top for me. Much, much too New Age, in my opinion. His fiction is interesting, and many of the small details seem to be accurate. But his descriptions of Rameses having such deep, meaningful thoughts is a bit much!
I've never read any of his non-fiction work, though. I understand it is quite good.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
But his descriptions of Rameses having such deep, meaningful thoughts is a bit much!

Hmm.... What makes you think Ramses didn't have deep meaningful thoughts.... Idea

Osiris II wrote:
I've never read any of his non-fiction work, though. I understand it is quite good.

I've not read his non-fiction yet either, but I fully intend to. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm presently reading those books. My library system has the whole series. And also I've read the Queen of Freedom trilogy. They were entertaining enough, but I dont think I would want to own them. Guess I'm one of the few in the middle ground then.
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, they are good, I have read the first three chapters already and its really good, about him growing up, and proving himself to his father, the Pharoah.
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the beginning of the book, with him prooving himself to Seti. Very Happy Although, you just need to remember that [the real] Ramses II never had a brother named Shanaar (sp?), in fact, it's doubtful he had a brother at all, and his sister wasn't named Dolorus, he had two, one named Tia and the second was me! (Henutmira). Laughing
But other than that, it's an excellent story. Wink

Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm about halfway through the second book... The Eternal Temple. The thing about Shanaar does make a bit more exciting, even if he didnt really exist. So far, I kinda like the character Ahmeni.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:
Right now I'm about halfway through the second book... The Eternal Temple.

OK, you really confused me there for a minute. You're reading the original second book The Eternal Temple. That book's now changed its name to The Temple of a Million Years <<-- That's the edition I have. I was thinking that I had one missing out of my collection. Laughing

Meritamon wrote:
So far, I kinda like the character Ahmeni.

Which one's Ahmeni again, I can't remember, it's been a while since I read any. I know I used to like the snake charmer character.
Anyway, when you get onto the next book The Battle of Kadesh, I haven't read that far, so don't go telling me who wins that battle! Laughing

Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:

OK, you really confused me there for a minute. You're reading the original second book The Eternal Temple. That book's now changed its name to The Temple of a Million Years <<-- That's the edition I have. I was thinking that I had one missing out of my collection. Laughing

Sorry, I could see how that would be confusing. Mine are all from the library, so they're probally older editions.

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:

Which one's Ahmeni again, I can't remember, it's been a while since I read any. I know I used to like the snake charmer character.
Anyway, when you get onto the next book The Battle of Kadesh, I haven't read that far, so don't go telling me who wins that battle! Laughing

Ahmeni was the scribe and sandal-bearer. The snake charmer's name is Setau. Okay, I wont tell you want happens. Wink

After the finishing the Ramses series, I'll track down Stone of Light.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:
Ahmeni was the scribe and sandal-bearer. The snake charmer's name is Setau. Okay, I wont tell you want happens.

Oh, of course, how could I forget the scribe. Rolling Eyes

Meritamon wrote:
After the finishing the Ramses series, I'll track down Stone of Light.

Good move, they are excellent stories!! Very Happy

Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, dont forget the scribe. I just got to the part where my namessake was born. Those damned conspiritors!

Anyway, theres another series I wanted to read of his too. I think it's called Judge of Egypt or something like that. Thats the one my library doesnt have though, and I cant seem to find it anywhere else.
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:

Anyway, when you get onto the next book The Battle of Kadesh, I haven't read that far, so don't go telling me who wins that battle!

you do know what happens in that battle dont you? Shocked
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aten wrote:
you do know what happens in that battle dont you? Shocked

LOL, Yes I do!! I was just kidding. Why was you going to tell me and spoil the surprise? Laughing

messuy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think maybe you'd be interested by a french opinion.

Christian Jacq did make egyptology study, so he has a real knowledge.

I think his writting style is bad : In the 5 Ramses books, you can find a lot of things repeated in different pages.
Nevertheless, like a lot of people, I was "trapped" by the story and could not stop reading them before the end.

BUT

You also have to know there is a great suspicion on him : he could be at the head of a sect.
In his novels and in his "serious" books, you can "feel" some esoteric point of views.

I clearly would not like my money to finance a sect. So I've just stopped reading him for some years now.

Alain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: