Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ramses series of books by Christian Jacq
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 2563
Location: Hull, UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

messuy wrote:
You also have to know there is a great suspicion on him : he could be at the head of a sect.
In his novels and in his "serious" books, you can "feel" some esoteric point of views.

Yeah, I have heard about him supposedly being part of a sect, but I can't really see how it makes any difference to the stories that he writes.... Idea Maybe it's just me.... Confused
_________________


In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 09 Sep 2006
Posts: 108
Location: Cheshire, UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what on this green earth is a sect? #Crazy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 2563
Location: Hull, UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sect is a non-mainstream religious group. There's an explanation on Wikipedia.
There was a translation from a French article that a poster named, sekhmet neseret gave a while back concerning Christian Jacq's involvement in a sect:
Quote:
this is a traduction:
"Is C. Jacq's vision a vision of a sect? 1st, his fascination for secrets (freemasonry, cathedrals builders, close relatives of pharaoh...(and now his books about Mozart, who would have beloged to a sect...)), his tastes about initiations, a reccurent theme in all his books. An accusing article from Charlie Hebdo, from 1996, claimed that he had created two associations: "the Rameses Institute", and "Naos". His aim being: setting up a "life house" (?? ==>in french it's "maison de vie"), with a strict regulation, and managed by "a venerable project manager" and "venerable director" (in french, it's in the feminine; so it would refer to his wife, who was suspected to be involved in this project, too).
Carole Ventroy, from Lire magasine led a long inquiry in 1996. She only had one statement from an egyptolog, Jean Yoyotte, who said: <<C.J. identifies with an esoteric tradition, it's undeniable, and his books are directed towards a revelation>>

Here's the original post

Hope that helps. Very Happy
_________________


In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Posts: 297
Location: Thebes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the second book yesterday. Now I just have to track down the next two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tet
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 5
Location: Midlands, England

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I read "Rameses, Son of Light." Then to only find "The Temple of A Million Years", in a charity stall, so am now doing it the right way round! And i love them, i am going to get them all, even if the cost of getting them amounts to financing my own pyramid.
You mentioned Ahmeni, i thought what a wimp, but loyal, and you mention Setau, well, would'nt you ladies like to be Lotus, and i do feel sorry for Iset the Fair.
I find them all a good escape from the normality of todays grind.

Tet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 2563
Location: Hull, UK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tet wrote:
You mentioned Ahmeni, i thought what a wimp, but loyal

I really liked the Ahmeni character. Smile

Quote:
and you mention Setau, well, would'nt you ladies like to be Lotus

Yeah, being Lotus wouldn't be such a bad thing! Laughing

Quote:
I find them all a good escape from the normality of todays grind.

That's exactly my opinion of the books. Very Happy
_________________


In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tet
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 5
Location: Midlands, England

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter of Seti,
Whats your verdict to Stargate then? I love the early ones and like the idea of all the Ancient Egyptian gods being aliens, but i suppose that story could not go on forever. Does anybody else like Stargate? I would love to have a one to one with Daniel Jackson, talk about Ancient Egypt till the cows come home!
But then reality sets in and i realise he is only a charcter, DAMN life can be vicious sometimes.
Did anybody see the live coverage of the Pyramid at Giza, when they tunnelled, i think i spelt that wrong, through a block of granite, supposedly in the tunnell that the Pharoahs Ka or Ba, can never remember which one, is used to ascend to the stars.

Tet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 2563
Location: Hull, UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tet wrote:
Daughter of Seti,
Whats your verdict to Stargate then? I love the early ones and like the idea of all the Ancient Egyptian gods being aliens, but i suppose that story could not go on forever. Does anybody else like Stargate?

Hey, did you actually know I like Stargate, or was that some freakishly lucky guess??! Anyway, yes I love Stargate, and the new series starts next week, yay. Very Happy I think the earliest ones are the best, but only because they keep taking characters out etc, like that whole season that Daniel Jackson had ascended; what were they thinking?! And now that Jack O'Neil isn't in it, I don't think it's as good, but it's still a great series. I believe there's quite a few Stargate fans on the board, which is odd because I don't think I've ever come across a thread on it, lol. I also watch Disney Land too, that's brilliant. Razz I've heard that Stargate may be getting cancelled after this present series, so I'm hoping that they carry on with Disney Land if that is the case.


Tet wrote:
I would love to have a one to one with Daniel Jackson, talk about Ancient Egypt till the cows come home!
But then reality sets in and i realise he is only a charcter, DAMN life can be vicious sometimes.

Daniel Jackson is my favourite character from the show Wink .... Well, him and Apophis for some odd reason.

Tet wrote:
Did anybody see the live coverage of the Pyramid at Giza, when they tunnelled, i think i spelt that wrong, through a block of granite, supposedly in the tunnell that the Pharoahs Ka or Ba, can never remember which one, is used to ascend to the stars.

I remember watching something similar to what you said - last year, or possibly the year before - about tunneling down one of the shafts in a pyramid at Giza. Was the one you watched hosted by Zahi Hawass, because that's who hosted the one I watched?
_________________


In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Posts: 297
Location: Thebes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
Tet wrote:
Daughter of Seti,
Whats your verdict to Stargate then? I love the early ones and like the idea of all the Ancient Egyptian gods being aliens, but i suppose that story could not go on forever. Does anybody else like Stargate?

Hey, did you actually know I like Stargate, or was that some freakishly lucky guess??! Anyway, yes I love Stargate, and the new series starts next week, yay. Very Happy I think the earliest ones are the best, but only because they keep taking characters out etc, like that whole season that Daniel Jackson had ascended; what were they thinking?! And now that Jack O'Neil isn't in it, I don't think it's as good, but it's still a great series. I believe there's quite a few Stargate fans on the board, which is odd because I don't think I've ever come across a thread on it, lol. I also watch Disney Land too, that's brilliant. Razz I've heard that Stargate may be getting cancelled after this present series, so I'm hoping that they carry on with Disney Land if that is the case.


Oh, I'm a Stargate fan too. *waves chevron flag* What new series starts next week? You didnt like Jonas? Sad Btw, it's spelled O'Neill. Two "L"s.

I'm really into Disney Land now. My favourite characters there are Drs. Beckett, McKay and Zelenka. There also Major Lorne, he isnt on there nearly enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmt_sesh
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Nov 2004
Posts: 7099
Location: Chicago, IL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, there are quite a few Stargate fans on this board. Very Happy

I've become a big fan of the Disney Land spinoff and I think it gets better with every season. I'm hoping against hope that the SciFi Channel does not cancel SG1, especially considering that they kind of left us waiting for more with the cliffhanger at the close of this last season.

But in case the SciFi Channel does witlessly cancel SG1, I'm brushing up on my Egyptian curses to hurt them big time! Twisted Evil

If any of you know of particularly nasty curses, feel free to share.


_________________


Visit my blog!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 2563
Location: Hull, UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:
Btw, it's spelled O'Neill. Two "L"s.

Laughing Ya know, after I'd written his name I knew there was something wrong with the spelling, but I couldn't for the life of me work out what it was!! Thanks. Razz

Meritamon wrote:
I'm really into Disney Land now. My favourite characters there are Drs. Beckett, McKay and Zelenka. There also Major Lorne, he isnt on there nearly enough.

My favourite characters are Beckett and McKay too, lol.

kmt_sesh wrote:
But in case the SciFi Channel does witlessly cancel SG1, I'm brushing up on my Egyptian curses to hurt them big time!

If any of you know of particularly nasty curses, feel free to share.

LOL, sounds like a good plan! I hear curses are supposed to work better in numbers, kmt_sesh, maybe you should get the entire ED board involved. Wink Although, I doubt that Kevin would be very impressed.... Unless he's a big Stargte fan himself. Laughing
_________________


In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kmt_sesh
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Nov 2004
Posts: 7099
Location: Chicago, IL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although, I doubt that Kevin would be very impressed.... Unless he's a big Stargte fan himself.


Ah, but Kevin is another of our ED Stargate fans, so let's count him into our growing number of cursers! Twisted Evil
_________________


Visit my blog!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Isetnofret
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 83
Location: I am in: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA. I want to be in: MEMPHIS, EGYPT.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sure everyone already knows my opinions on Christian Jacq's Ramses series so I won't repeat myself...all that I'm saying is that I really don't like Nefertari.

Doesn't anyone else but me think that all the characters are so perfect??

~ Isetnofret ~
_________________
Queen Isetnofret ~ The Beautiful Isis
Hereditary Princess, Great of Praises, King's Mother, Mistress of the entire Two Lands, King's Wife, Great King's Wife.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
West Wind
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the Ramesses series(read twice), Judge of Egypt series, Stone of Light Series, Queen of Freedom series, and Mysteries of Osiris series. My favourite is the Mysteries of Osiris (read twice), but after reading it you are kind of flooded with so many question marks.....
_________________
Be not proud because of thy learning," saith Ptah-hotep. "Converse with the ignorant as freely as with the scholar, for the gates of knowledge should never be closed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group