Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ramses series of books by Christian Jacq
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

messuy wrote:
You also have to know there is a great suspicion on him : he could be at the head of a sect.
In his novels and in his "serious" books, you can "feel" some esoteric point of views.

Yeah, I have heard about him supposedly being part of a sect, but I can't really see how it makes any difference to the stories that he writes.... Idea Maybe it's just me.... Confused

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
The Aten
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what on this green earth is a sect? #Crazy
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sect is a non-mainstream religious group. There's an explanation on Wikipedia.
There was a translation from a French article that a poster named, sekhmet neseret gave a while back concerning Christian Jacq's involvement in a sect:
Quote:
this is a traduction:
"Is C. Jacq's vision a vision of a sect? 1st, his fascination for secrets (freemasonry, cathedrals builders, close relatives of pharaoh...(and now his books about Mozart, who would have beloged to a sect...)), his tastes about initiations, a reccurent theme in all his books. An accusing article from Charlie Hebdo, from 1996, claimed that he had created two associations: "the Rameses Institute", and "Naos". His aim being: setting up a "life house" (?? ==>in french it's "maison de vie"), with a strict regulation, and managed by "a venerable project manager" and "venerable director" (in french, it's in the feminine; so it would refer to his wife, who was suspected to be involved in this project, too).
Carole Ventroy, from Lire magasine led a long inquiry in 1996. She only had one statement from an egyptolog, Jean Yoyotte, who said: <<C.J. identifies with an esoteric tradition, it's undeniable, and his books are directed towards a revelation>>

Here's the original post

Hope that helps. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the second book yesterday. Now I just have to track down the next two.
Tet
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I read "Rameses, Son of Light." Then to only find "The Temple of A Million Years", in a charity stall, so am now doing it the right way round! And i love them, i am going to get them all, even if the cost of getting them amounts to financing my own pyramid.
You mentioned Ahmeni, i thought what a wimp, but loyal, and you mention Setau, well, would'nt you ladies like to be Lotus, and i do feel sorry for Iset the Fair.
I find them all a good escape from the normality of todays grind.

Tet.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tet wrote:
You mentioned Ahmeni, i thought what a wimp, but loyal

I really liked the Ahmeni character. Smile

Quote:
and you mention Setau, well, would'nt you ladies like to be Lotus

Yeah, being Lotus wouldn't be such a bad thing! Laughing

Quote:
I find them all a good escape from the normality of todays grind.

That's exactly my opinion of the books. Very Happy

Tet
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter of Seti,
Whats your verdict to Stargate then? I love the early ones and like the idea of all the Ancient Egyptian gods being aliens, but i suppose that story could not go on forever. Does anybody else like Stargate? I would love to have a one to one with Daniel Jackson, talk about Ancient Egypt till the cows come home!
But then reality sets in and i realise he is only a charcter, DAMN life can be vicious sometimes.
Did anybody see the live coverage of the Pyramid at Giza, when they tunnelled, i think i spelt that wrong, through a block of granite, supposedly in the tunnell that the Pharoahs Ka or Ba, can never remember which one, is used to ascend to the stars.

Tet.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tet wrote:
Daughter of Seti,
Whats your verdict to Stargate then? I love the early ones and like the idea of all the Ancient Egyptian gods being aliens, but i suppose that story could not go on forever. Does anybody else like Stargate?

Hey, did you actually know I like Stargate, or was that some freakishly lucky guess??! Anyway, yes I love Stargate, and the new series starts next week, yay. Very Happy I think the earliest ones are the best, but only because they keep taking characters out etc, like that whole season that Daniel Jackson had ascended; what were they thinking?! And now that Jack O'Neil isn't in it, I don't think it's as good, but it's still a great series. I believe there's quite a few Stargate fans on the board, which is odd because I don't think I've ever come across a thread on it, lol. I also watch Disney Land too, that's brilliant. Razz I've heard that Stargate may be getting cancelled after this present series, so I'm hoping that they carry on with Disney Land if that is the case.

Tet wrote:
I would love to have a one to one with Daniel Jackson, talk about Ancient Egypt till the cows come home!
But then reality sets in and i realise he is only a charcter, DAMN life can be vicious sometimes.

Daniel Jackson is my favourite character from the show Wink .... Well, him and Apophis for some odd reason.

Tet wrote:
Did anybody see the live coverage of the Pyramid at Giza, when they tunnelled, i think i spelt that wrong, through a block of granite, supposedly in the tunnell that the Pharoahs Ka or Ba, can never remember which one, is used to ascend to the stars.

I remember watching something similar to what you said - last year, or possibly the year before - about tunneling down one of the shafts in a pyramid at Giza. Was the one you watched hosted by Zahi Hawass, because that's who hosted the one I watched?

Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
Tet wrote:
Daughter of Seti,
Whats your verdict to Stargate then? I love the early ones and like the idea of all the Ancient Egyptian gods being aliens, but i suppose that story could not go on forever. Does anybody else like Stargate?

Hey, did you actually know I like Stargate, or was that some freakishly lucky guess??! Anyway, yes I love Stargate, and the new series starts next week, yay. Very Happy I think the earliest ones are the best, but only because they keep taking characters out etc, like that whole season that Daniel Jackson had ascended; what were they thinking?! And now that Jack O'Neil isn't in it, I don't think it's as good, but it's still a great series. I believe there's quite a few Stargate fans on the board, which is odd because I don't think I've ever come across a thread on it, lol. I also watch Disney Land too, that's brilliant. Razz I've heard that Stargate may be getting cancelled after this present series, so I'm hoping that they carry on with Disney Land if that is the case.

Oh, I'm a Stargate fan too. *waves chevron flag* What new series starts next week? You didnt like Jonas? Sad Btw, it's spelled O'Neill. Two "L"s.

I'm really into Disney Land now. My favourite characters there are Drs. Beckett, McKay and Zelenka. There also Major Lorne, he isnt on there nearly enough.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, there are quite a few Stargate fans on this board. Very Happy

I've become a big fan of the Disney Land spinoff and I think it gets better with every season. I'm hoping against hope that the SciFi Channel does not cancel SG1, especially considering that they kind of left us waiting for more with the cliffhanger at the close of this last season.

But in case the SciFi Channel does witlessly cancel SG1, I'm brushing up on my Egyptian curses to hurt them big time! Twisted Evil

If any of you know of particularly nasty curses, feel free to share.

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:
Btw, it's spelled O'Neill. Two "L"s.

Laughing Ya know, after I'd written his name I knew there was something wrong with the spelling, but I couldn't for the life of me work out what it was!! Thanks. Razz

Meritamon wrote:
I'm really into Disney Land now. My favourite characters there are Drs. Beckett, McKay and Zelenka. There also Major Lorne, he isnt on there nearly enough.

My favourite characters are Beckett and McKay too, lol.

kmt_sesh wrote:
But in case the SciFi Channel does witlessly cancel SG1, I'm brushing up on my Egyptian curses to hurt them big time!

If any of you know of particularly nasty curses, feel free to share.

LOL, sounds like a good plan! I hear curses are supposed to work better in numbers, kmt_sesh, maybe you should get the entire ED board involved. Wink Although, I doubt that Kevin would be very impressed.... Unless he's a big Stargte fan himself. Laughing

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although, I doubt that Kevin would be very impressed.... Unless he's a big Stargte fan himself.

Ah, but Kevin is another of our ED Stargate fans, so let's count him into our growing number of cursers! Twisted Evil

Visit my blog!
Isetnofret
Citizen
Citizen

Location: I am in: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA. I want to be in: MEMPHIS, EGYPT.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sure everyone already knows my opinions on Christian Jacq's Ramses series so I won't repeat myself...all that I'm saying is that I really don't like Nefertari.

Doesn't anyone else but me think that all the characters are so perfect??

~ Isetnofret ~
West Wind
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the Ramesses series(read twice), Judge of Egypt series, Stone of Light Series, Queen of Freedom series, and Mysteries of Osiris series. My favourite is the Mysteries of Osiris (read twice), but after reading it you are kind of flooded with so many question marks.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: