Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pyramid Texts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Werethekau
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Pyramid Texts Reply with quote

Dear members of this forum,

I wanted to purchase a copy of the pyramid texts - preferably with either transliteration or hieroglyphics. it seems quite difficult to find such a book that has been written by a respected author.

Hence I turn to the wisdom of this forum: would/could anyone of you recommend me a copy of the pyramid texts that holds either transliteration as well as (or) hieroglyphics?

Thank you for any and all assistance you can provide.

Kevin
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

The Faulkner translation has an appendix with _some_ of the hiieroglyphs, but not all of them. And sprinkled throughout the text, there are transliterations of words that couldn't be translated into English, sometimes as a discussion in a footnote or sometimes within the body of an Utterance.

Allen has a new translation of the PT, but in a different set-up. Allen contains complete trasnslations of the texts of six or eight pyramids, with introductory essays about each one. But alas! no hiieroglyphs or transliterations.

It's interesting to compare the two translations; sometimes it'seasier to understand one version rather than the other.

kat

Faulkner, Raymond. O._The Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts_, Sandpiper Books, London, c. 1969, ISBN 0-19-815437-2

James P. Allen, edited by Peter Der Manuelian. 2005 _The Ancient
Egyptian Pyramid Texts_. SBL - Writings from the Ancient World, 23.
Brill: Leiden//SBL:Atlanta.

(The Faulkner is only in hardcover, but the Allen is available in expensive hardcover and much more affordable paperback.)
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of Amazon and David Brown web pages for those books, Werethekau:

Amazon

David Brown

The Brown page also has Faulkner's book on the Coffin Texts, which is another treasure. Kat's correct that these books can be costly, but the Brown site is especially good about great sales and specials so you might want to keep an eye on it (and note that in the link I provided, the Allen paperback version is there--with a nice price). The used books on Amazon often offer very good deals, and I've had mostly good experiences purchasing those in the past. Wink

Visit my blog!
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must add that The David Brown Book Company (known as Oxbow Books in the UK) also has a thing called 'hurt books'. I've often bought these damaged books from DBBC, and found them to be in better condition than new books at full price from my local Borders. While they list some hurt books on their website, you can ask if the particular book you need is available hurt. I don't know what I'd do without DBBC! Very Happy

Another great source of books is The Hamilton Book Company,

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/hamiltonbook.storefront/

If you order via the web, they charge shipping per book, but if you order snail-mail from them, it's a flat shipping fee no matter how many books you order at once. Very Happy

And often I order used books via ABE, a consortium of several hundred booksellers from around the world. If I can't find an OOP title here, I probably won't find it anywhere. Very Happy

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/hamiltonbook.storefront/
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry, I posted the Hamilton link twice- here's the ABE link:

http://www.abebooks.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: