Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomb of Meryre (I) - Greatest Seer of the Aten on osiris.net

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Tomb of Meryre (I) - Greatest Seer of the Aten on osiris.net Reply with quote

Thierry Benderitter just added a two page article about the tomb of Meryre I to his website:
http://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/amarna/meryra/e_meryra_01.htm

It's well worth looking at Smile

Meryre was a high priest of Aten and is known to have been in office as late as year 16 of Akhenaten. He likely survived into the reign of Tutankhamen. The question is what happened to him though.

There is a tomb of a Meryre also called Meryneith in Saqqara, but the names of the respective wives don't match.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa i just read most of this article and it gives you such a lively insight into the lives of the royals-such small detailes-as if they were alive yesterday!

The massive garden area with numerous trees and a possible barque station is impressive-such luxury. It must have been beautiful to live in the palace right along the nile like that-watching the hippos and crocodiles and rich thickets of papyrus and water lillies. Hearing lions roaring at dusk...such a romantic lifestyle....the AE were truly an exotic nation.

I guess all this has dissapeared now as the nile is moving eastwards...so all the stuff that was close to the water is lost forever except in these pictures Smile
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some nice sites about Amarna, they really flesh it out for you in a realistic way, so you get an idea of what you are looking at in those tomb releifs.

This site is my favourate click model of city on the left then go tour the model-incredible how they tell you all about the city and it looks so real!

quote"View 'eastwards' along the axis of the Small Aten Temple. The temple enclosure, with its three sets of pylons, is still a conspicuous ruin. After the death of Akhenaten, however, one of his successors built a huge columned hall over the ground in front. It is difficult to find sufficiently clear traces of what it replaced. The reconstruction offered in the model, of a long enclosed space running to the river bank and planted with trees, is picking up a few surviving clues but is still nonetheless highly conjectural."unquote

Here's a picture from the site to give you an idea-realistic hey! This columned hall that was built after Akhenaten's death, i think i read somewhere it may have been for Semenkhare's corination, and that it's possibly where Tutankhamun was corinated while still at amarna under the name Tutankhaten!

http://www.amarna3d.com/PROJECT-AMARNA-G01.htm

This site is the galleries index of a 3D amarna site-it's ok.

http://www.amarna3d.com/PROJECT-AMARNA-03.htm

This site deals with more amarna city stuff-i'm on chap three at the moment but just use the toolbars to go back/forward-it's interesting but i don't understand the anubis/bugs stuff...LOL i think it may be for some video game.

This picture of the kings bridge from the Egyptian Media Production City is awesome! Apart from the aten on top of the bridge it is realistic-i guess the aten was put there to appeal to tourists and is quite imaginative even if not historically accurate.
I like the way the walls slope-so exotic-amazing how little details like that can create a completely different atmosphere!

You can see more of it in the egyptian EMPIRES doco-Akhenaten is in a chariot going along the royal road and there are white lion statues lining it, although they are not historically acurate it makes it look more egyptian and is quite nice

http://www.thearchitecturestore.co.uk/homepage.html

This one's interesting-if you look around you can find pictures of the throne room and stuff with the original decoration on the columns, and it's historically accurate!

http://www.eyelid.co.uk/tempmenu.htm

This last one is not specifically amarna related but fleshes out ancient egypt quite nicely-love the colours!

quote"This is a reconstruction of The Colonnade of Amenhotep III
at the temple of Luxor. It leads out into the courtyard."unquote

Apparantly in ancient times there was more wildlife in egypt then today because the romans made lions in north africa extinct from taking so many for use in the colusseum! The concentration of white lions was higher in north africa than other african countries-must have been a mechanism to cope with the heat.Just imagine looking down from the great palace's balcony and seeing white lions drinking from the nile, must have been a majestic site to the ancients!

I went on a safari in kruger national park and saw lions,cheetah,hippos and giraffe-they really give off an exotic atmosphere. Especially seeing a mother hippo and her baby playing in the rapids!When they yawn it is so intimidating!

Saw a tv doco once on a wetland somewhere in west africa and it's the only surviving african wetland in pristine condition-the amount of papyrus in the river was amazing! It was sooo dense and there was so many hippos/crocodiles and birdlife-plus the waterlillies were beautiful-sad how the nile is so polluted today, even papyrus is now rare in egypt!Can u beleive that!

I guess when the romans talk about egypt as being exotic they meant because of the wildlife and the culture where as we today only associate Ancient egypt with it's culture-but becuse of the romans,damming of the nile(which made it stagnant and unsutable for life) and the overuse of fertilizer which poisened the nile the rich variety of animal and plant life is gone! So imagining the nile teeming with life and akhenaten's amazing palaces and temples really is the epitome of exotic! And it's relaxing too looking at a body of water all day...
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mcdonald.cam.ac.uk/Projects/Amarna/home.htm

Sorry forgot to add the first site! LOL-it's the best one:)
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke i just read about the scene with the aten and the strange halo around it- this sets my imagination on fire! Smile Isn't it fantastic! Even though the scene is defaced it still has a huge effect. Great stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: