Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Akhenaten's sarcophagus
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Akhenaten's sarcophagus Reply with quote

How is it that the remains of Akhenaten's sarcophagus, although reconstructed somewhat, is sitting neglected on the grounds? I would think it would have a place of more prominence.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's rather amazing that they don't take better care of the sarcophagus.

It is mentioned on Thierry Benderitter's site osiris.net:
http://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/amarna/akhenaton/e_akhentomb.htm

There are several photographs of the sarcophagus at the bottom of the page.

Quote:
In August 2003 the Centennial Exhibition in the Cairo Museum was again opened, and I went there.
The path goes round the left side of the Museum. And there I was much surprised to see lying on the pebbles the - heavily restaured after having been smashed into pieces - sarcophagus of... Akhenaten !. No one seems to care about it, and it was filled with cigarette-ends, and empty bottles of mineral water.

Shocked used as a trash bin?
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely shocking!

I wonder how it got to be out there used as a garbage recepticle since they obviously spent great care reasembling it's pieces.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally lost for words....this is a very important man's sarcophagus...i still can't beleive what i am seeing! At least put it inside behind glass so wind/weather doesn't erode it....
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered hearing about the plight of Akhenaten's sarcophagus, and this discussion reminded me of a web article I saved to my Favorites files some time ago. Wouldn't you know I lost it, but I believe I found the same one:

Arabic News Article

It's an interesting article, and it concludes with this hopeful excerpt:

Quote:
Ali Gaballah said that Akhenaten's sarcophagus will be given pride of place in the Akhenaten Hall in the Grand Egyptian Museum, which is to be built near the Pyramids in Giza.

Let's hope they remember to clean out the trash and wipe of the bird droppings before moving it. Rolling Eyes

This is the same museum whose construction the current Tutankhamun exhibition is helping to finance. Once completed, it will also showcase all of the Tut treasures. Or at least I've heard.

Visit my blog!
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Akhenaten Hall? Hmm that certainly would be nice. That is providing the sarcophagus isnt the trash can.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing So true! I can just see a sign taped to it: "Recyclables Only!"

I don't know much about the new Giza museum but it sure sounds like it's going to be their new flagship. And it will enable them to clear up some of the clutter in the Cairo museum and perhaps do a more professional job of displaying and labeling. The Tut hall will naturally be the big draw for many tourists, but the Akhenaten hall will be exciting.

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article will not load for me Sad
Nekht-Ankh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I remembered hearing about the plight of Akhenaten's sarcophagus, and this discussion reminded me of a web article I saved to my Favorites files some time ago. Wouldn't you know I lost it, but I believe I found the same one:

Arabic News Article

Although describing it as the sarcophagus of Akhenaten, this article is talking about a different object. The description fits the coffin trough of gilded wood that held the body in KV55, which some believe is Akhenaten. The lid of this coffin is in the Cairo museum. This coffin is entirely different from the reconstructed stone sarcophagus of Akhenaten from the Amarna royal tomb, which is the object that can be seen in the grounds of the museum.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I guess the sarcophagus is fated to remain a trash can. But hopefully it also will go into the new museum.

Visit my blog!
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL i wonder what Akhenaten's reaction would be if he discovered how his sarcophagus was being treated Smile This is a man who lived during a period in egytpian history when egypt was a super power and pharoh's were worshipped as living gods...i imagine he would be one very angry man!
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read that article and i can't understand what i read!

Germany spent 200,000 marks on restoring the sarcophagus and it's sitting outside exposed with rubbish in it! Am i the only one here who thinks there is something seriously wrong with this-maybe i am going crazy...

Everyone keeps pushing for egypt's artifacts to be returned to it's country but if it's treating them like this then why should they be returned?

I personally think the artifacts that are overseas now should just stay there-more people will beable to see the artifacts if they are not all in the same place-i mean someone in london sees the rosetta stone and gets interested in egypt and then travels there-there's no sense having them all in the egyptian museum because they would just get overshadowed by the pyramids, temples, rameses statues and tutankhamun's treasures...what do you's think?
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is off topic but did u hear about the roman sarcophagus discovery under the vatican-just saw it on the news-amazingly detailed! Much richer and detailed then Akhenaten's and these were only wealthy people not royalty!

Although i think how the aten appears on the sarcophagus in the middle and at the edges, the way the rays eminate is quite beautiful-don't you think?

I wonder who the gilded sarcophagus belongs to? Maybe Semenkhare? I doubt it's Akhenaten's simply because he would be shown in the form of shu, right?Mayb he stopped associating with shu after establishing amarna and simply worshipped the aten as a seaperate god?Quite extraordinary though that a royal sarcophagus survived from this period!
Although during amarna period men and woman wore the nubian wig so it could well be Akhenaten's! Egypt is so awesome!

Also when we are talking about sarcophagus do we mean the one outside or inside? If inside then what i said earlier about the german gov restoring the gilded sarcophagus and the egyptian govt not looking after it properly is wrong...sorry:( I should show more respect, sorry.
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we say sarcophagus I think we usually mean the stone box that contains the coffins.

It is easy to get them mixed up though - I often find myself using the wrong word!

I agree with many of your points about artifacts found outside Egypt. I know that not all of them were gained in an ethical manner and in those cases we should consider the possibility of returns if we believe they will receive good care - I remember seeing a documentary on restoration work carried out on some pieces in the Cairo museum and was appalled at the handling of some of the artworks - a huge chunk was knocked off one of the Tutankhamen busts by a restorer. Also there have been problems with the humidity inside the museum, though I think this has/is being addressed.

Of course many overseas artifacts were obtained legitimately through official excavations approved by the Egyptian government. I suppose this was due largely to the Egyptians not having the finance or expertise to organise such works in the past, though that is changing to an extent. The overseas artifacts definitely inspire people to visit Egypt and are as such a great advert for the culture and it's history.
sarahgonul
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is incredibly shocking. I guess the vengence that Horemheb and the Amun Priests wanted is not yet finished. It wasn't enough to destroy his city and use it for rubble 3000 years ago. Now the coffin that was to carry him into the afterlife and preserve his bones is preserving banana peels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: