Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended Reading
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm new here, so hi to all.
I'd like to suggest a translated copy of the Book of the Dead. Of all the books I've read, this one offers, for me anyway, one of the most interesting insights into what the Egyptians thought they would go through in the afterlife. The copy I have is by E.A. Wallis Budge, which I can't fault on content. He has some interesting views. You may need to read it a second time to properly understand it, but it's very intriguing.
Also a book on the Gods of Egypt by George Hart, 'A Dictionary of Egyptian Gods and Goddesses'. It goes into a lot of depth, which is great for anyone interested in the subject, but assumes you already know a lot about the subject, so not for beginners. It's laid out (somewhat predictably if you can read the title) in dictionary form, with a few illustrations, though none of them are particularly pretty.
Finally anyone looking for ancient eye-candy would like 'The Art and Architecture of Ancient Egypt', I think produced by The Yale University Press. Does exactly what it says on the tin, in picture form, with some desciptive text.
Jeeze, I sound like a salesman when I recommend stuff... I think you'd be able to find them all at Amazon.co.uk, though I bought all but the Book of the Dead (which I had trouble finding in stores) from Waterstones. Hope they help someone.
"I stand like Horus. I sit like Ptah. I am strong like Thoth. Mighty like Tem. I walk with my legs. I speak with my mouth. I chase my enemy. He hath been given unto me, and he shall not be delivered from me."
Egyptian Book of the Dead
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E. A. Budge is extremely out of date (1900's)

the R. O. Faulkner translation of the book of the dead is newer and has better translations.
(There might be even newer ones.... faulkner i think did his translations in the 60's)

at least faulkner is a better start......

(..... at uni we are told NOT to use budge as source.)

Still the choice is yours....

for relligon there are the pyramid texts and the coffin texts Book of the dead , book of gates, and a few others i cant remeber off the top of my head.

learn the language ... it better to read it your self than to rely on someone elses translation .... understanding the language is one step closer to understanding them.
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, age of theories bears little effect on their accuracy. Especially when the book in question has been modified where important to compensate for drastic information. The translation in particular was reviewed quite recently, the 90 I believe, to make sure it was as accurate as possible as of publishing.

Besides, reading Budge's basic theories can be history in itself. You've been told not to read him for one of many reasons (the curriculum doesn't scope his work, the examiners just don't like him, etc), and what universities require of their students makes no difference to the relevance of a text they don't have in mind for you. It can still be an interesting read, for anyone interested in Egyptology in general, not just Egyptology in class.
The translation is the main reason for getting it anyway. Not the theories of someone else but the theories of the Egyptians themselves. And as the translation has been brought up-to-date in accordance with new research, and the book is cheaper than Faulkner's (at least the copy I've seen), there's little reason not to read it, unless your scope of interest does indeed end with the university syllabus. Just don't quote him in your coursework, is all.
P.S. I would love to learn the language, only A) I'm terrible with languages, I remember doing German GCSEs years ago, B) I don't have much time these days. Rest assured if I had the opportunity I would give it a go at least.
"I stand like Horus. I sit like Ptah. I am strong like Thoth. Mighty like Tem. I walk with my legs. I speak with my mouth. I chase my enemy. He hath been given unto me, and he shall not be delivered from me."
Egyptian Book of the Dead
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy haha WELCOME.. from me Wink lol Smile if i ever get the chance.. i will read these books.. outdated or not its good to look at everyones opinions Very Happy !! hope ya like the stay

x0x0
Serena Wink
Jan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long it will be before Faulkner is considered out of date?

Besides the modern Egyptology writers I also collect many of the older ancient Egyptian books and still find then a great source of information and interesting read. Seems to me, that in some instances old theories are just being replaced by new theories.
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at uni we are told nothing before 1900-1920's

i was told budge was a no go because his translations are out of date and dont have the benfits modern hieroglyphic languade knowlege (100 years is a long time)
there are over 5 decades at least between faulkner and budge

we have books going back to the forties, fifties and sixties in out reading list.....

Start with the older books and work your way to the present day.

if the book is archeology based it still is useful to a point..... no matter how old it is ....
Jan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
at uni we are told nothing before 1900-1920's

Does this mean that 'Alan Gardiner Egyptian Grammer' is off the list (published 1927) ?
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first second or third edition jan? the third edition was revised and published in the 1960's

the third edition is the one used by advanced students at my uni.
It is also $180 ($nz) which is why i dont have one of my own (exchenge rates grrr).
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoth wrote:
Hey, I'm new here, so hi to all.
Sorry Thoth, I've been away for a while - welcome to the board Very Happy
Jan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
first second or third edition jan? the third edition was revised and published in the 1960's

I suppose my point is that it seems a shame that some older revised works (Gardiner 1957) are acceptable, whilst other revised works (Budge 1960) are not.

Quote:
It is also $180 ($nz) which is why i dont have one of my own (exchenge rates grrr).

That seems very steep. You can buy the book from amazon.co.uk for £25 GBP, which equates to around 67 NZD?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0900416351/ref=nosim/ancientegyp02-21

Plus I think delivery on worldwide posting (7-10 days) will cost you £8 (21 NZD)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/502482/ref=w_h__brbx_c_1_3/026-6012350-2744401#air3

Which should save you roughly 90 NZD? (half price) May be worth checking out?
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did budge actually revise them himself?
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt he revised the 1960 edition - he died in 1934 Shocked
Jan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Budge himself was last involved with the book’s revision in 1913 and a number of pamphlets on the Book of the Dead in 1920. I think it was the British Museum who added supplementary chapters and sections with the acquisition of the Papyrus of Ani.
Jan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my favourite books (not particularly academic) are ‘Guide to the Valley of the Kings’ and ‘The Pyramids’ both by Alberto Siliotti. They are hard back, good quality books, with excellent illustrations, large colour photos and detailed diagrams of the tombs and pyramids. They are also very informative and Siliotti is an excellent photographer. The retail price is around £15-20 but I picked up my copies at one of the discount County Bookshops for £8.99 each. Great value! Very Happy
Ari
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, I'm a new member of the forum, been following this for some time though.

I have a couple of fictional entries that might interest some people here, especially the ever so easily excitable hatsepsu, lol! :

"Sinuhe" by Mika Waltari, tells about a physician in the times of Akhenaten and beyond.

"Stone of Light" -series and the "Ramses" -series by Christian Jacq were excellent reading too.

Cheers,
-Ari-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: