Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended Reading
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board Ari Very Happy

Also by Christian Jacq is the Queen Of Freedom trilogy - I've currently read the first two. They're interesting but have to be taken with a pinch of salt. The book description says ...

Quote:
Egypt is a shadow of its former self. An army of barbarians mounted on horse-drawn chariots has swept through the Empire, destroying everything in its path. Known as the Hyksos, these "leaders from foreign lands" have reduced the country of the pharaohs to slavery. Only the city of Thebes resists, protected by the widow of the last pharaoh, Teti the Small. But Teti knows that her reign is limited, that it's only a matter of time before her men succumb to the barbarities of the cruel Hyksos. She has an eighteen-year-old daughter, however: Ahhotep. Fierce, beautiful, and courageous, this girl whom history will call "Egypt's Joan of Arc" will never accept defeat. And so she decides to re-ignite the flame of Egyptian resistance. All by herself.

Combining historical fact with a vivid imagination, Christian Jacq tells the enthralling true story of this Ancient Egyptian warrior-heroine. Without the courage and passion of Queen Ahhotep, the Valley of the Kings and the glorious treasures of the pharaohs, including Ramses the Great, would never have existed.

If you don't want to tax your brain and want some escapism then they are probably worth reading.
Ari
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin, glad to be here.

You said:
"Also by Christian Jacq is the Queen Of Freedom trilogy - I've currently read the first two. They're interesting but have to be taken with a pinch of salt. The book description says ... "

Isn't that always the case with fictional stories, seems to be certainly so with Jacq as he mixes fact and fiction with a dash of mysticism amd magic quite freely, in addition to having created an "interpretation" of historical events that seem pleasant but don't really have much foundation in reality, nor does he really seem to claim them to have it in his fictional stuff... I understand he has actually written some serious. more scientific stuff on Egyptians views of magic etc.. haven't read any of his works though, other than the light hearted pleasant stories Smile) which I like alot! Smile

"Sinuhe" on the other hand uses Egyptian culture and the surroundings more as a framework for general studies of humanity and such, with a more serious undertones than Jacq.

just my two pennies worth,

Cheers,
-Ari- Smile
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello hello Very Happy welcome to the board.. sorry ive been away peeps.. ill try and post more Very Happy

Serena Wink
Isis1932
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotep,

I haven't read Queen of Freedom but the description quoted remines me of a translation we did on those very barbarians called hyksos. The description was very vivid, talking about the fields laying bare, noblemen as slaves etc I think it was in the book "Egyptian Reading book exercises and middle Egyptian texts selected and edited by Dr. A De Buck"

I think I will try some fiction about ancient Egypt. Sinuhe by Mika waltari sounds interesting
. Cool

Isis1932
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings all. Very sorry I haven't posted any more books since my last post but I am willing to do so. Please give me any topics in which you want good books and I will post them. Thanks.
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I've been away for a while, a member of my family was diagnosed with cancer, but it turned out that it wasn't malignant, so it's all OK now, hopefully. But don't worry (heh, if you were), I'm not a 'one-post wonder'; I'll be back as often as possible.

I know that for some the subject is forbidden almost to religious levels, as it does contradict accepted history, but I recently picked up a book on the possibilities of Disney Land being real. I'm scepticle myself, and although some of the information put forward as evidence could be dismissed as coincidence, it is a lot of coincidences painstakingly researched, and it certainly makes you wonder. The book is called The Disney Land Blueprint, by Rand Flem-Ath and Colin Wilson. Anyone open-minded to the idea of Disney Land might find this fascinating. It's been done by other people to varying degrees, Hapgood being one of the most quoted scholars in this book, and I have a copy of Hancock's Fingerprints of the Gods which follows very similar lines (also quoted frequently in Blueprint). If you like, you can dismiss it as fiction once you're done - but it's well-written, and you'll have to wonder if there is something being overlooked by historians, even if it's not quite so romantic a prospect as Disney Land.
"I stand like Horus. I sit like Ptah. I am strong like Thoth. Mighty like Tem. I walk with my legs. I speak with my mouth. I chase my enemy. He hath been given unto me, and he shall not be delivered from me."
Egyptian Book of the Dead
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd like to ask for a recommendation on a specific subject...
I've been looking on the net for quite a while now for a book, or even webpage, containing a translated copy of the Prisse Papyrus. I've only managed to find the odd reference - I vaguely know what it's even about. Certainly, no copy - translated or otherwise.
So, does anyone know of a book, or even a webpage, which contains a translated copy of said text?
On the subject, does anyone know of a good book compiling several translations of several texts that may be of interest?
"I stand like Horus. I sit like Ptah. I am strong like Thoth. Mighty like Tem. I walk with my legs. I speak with my mouth. I chase my enemy. He hath been given unto me, and he shall not be delivered from me."
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should allllll read Sacred Sexuality secrets of the forbidden papyri its funny and interesting ive just browsed it ive never actualy read it from beginning to end but ive read a lot of it.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been looking on the net for quite a while now for a book, or even webpage, containing a translated copy of the Prisse Papyrus. I've only managed to find the odd reference - I vaguely know what it's even about. Certainly, no copy - translated or otherwise.

I only have one link with a bit of info saved, you've probably seen it but I'll post it anyways: http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/texts/kagemni.htm
all the best Smile
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks. No I haven't seen it before. In fact, the only info I found was just about how old it was, who discovered it, etc... that link is useful, thanks!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a description of the Rhind papyrus. This is a mathematical papyrus.
Here's a picture:

This document dates back to 1650 BC, and is a copy of a 1800BC (12th dynasty) original.

It's not something you want to sit down and read though....
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the calculations is wrong Shocked
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:

Nice try! Very Happy

I just came back from teaching math, and stupidly my first response was to try and look at "the solution". Confused Then I realized I can't read hieroglyphics......

Shows you where my mind (or what's left of it) is at.

Oh well .......
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Kevin wrote:

Nice try! Very Happy

I just came back from teaching math, and stupidly my first response was to try and look at "the solution". Confused Then I realized I can't read hieroglyphics......

Shows you where my mind (or what's left of it) is at.

Oh well .......
Wink
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great. People thousands of years behind the times were better than maths than I am Embarassed Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: