Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Twelfth Transforming?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neferneferaten-Nefertiti
Citizen
Citizen

Location: The Middle of the Middle of Nowhere (aka, near Pittsburgh PA)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: The Twelfth Transforming? Reply with quote

I've been looking into some Egyptian fiction lately and naturally I'd be most interested in stories involving Nefertiti and Akhenhaten. ^_^ I found this book in one of my searches (by Pauline Gedge) but before I go and buy it I was just wondering if I could get some thoughts from people who have read it first. Is it worth it? I mean I know it's not going to be a history lesson. I have read Nefertiti: Egypt's Sun Queen by Joyce Tyldesley. I'm interested in a "story version." So, if anyone has read it, what did you think?

And also, are there any other fictional novels on Nefertiti and Akhenhaten? I'd be most interested in any suggestions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it a really long time ago. In general Pauline Gedge is a great writer. I love all of her books.

There is another novel by Naguib Mahfouz: Akhenaten, Dweller in truth

A quote from one of the Amazon.com reviewers:
Quote:
This is a very interesting little book. It central theme is Akenaten the Sun King who was infamous as a pharaoh both for his rejection of the ancient religons but also in popular fiction for his wife Nefertitti. Akenaten however is not someone who appears in this book nor is this a potted piece of fiction outlinning his life. It is something more profound and with many parallels for any moment in human history. The narrator of the novel lives at a time not long after the death of Akenaten and he seeks the 'truth' behind the pharaoh's religon. The novel follows our narrator as he interviews living witnesses to the kings life, each chapter is a different interview/perspective on the events that took place. The points of view expressed are all completely different, some hate him, some love him, some admire him, some loath him, some don't understanded him however at the end of the novel we have a much more complete picture of a character than if we had read a fictional biography. Naguib Mahfouz has a wonderful way of writing, its easy to read and very simple yet it is beautiful in conveying profound meaning. At the end of the novel the reader is left to make their own mind up and to reflect that the life of the pharaoh who was vilified for his beliefs is as relevant today as it was more than 3000 years ago.

I read it and recommend it Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's part of a review from Amazon.com for the Twelfth Transforming by Pauline Gedge:

Quote:
Queen Tiye, the Great Royal Wife of Pharaoah Amunhotep III is the focus of this very complex historical novel. Pauline Gedge gives a new interpretation of some of the known historical and archaelogical facts about the entire Amarna Royal Family including Akhenaton, Nefertiti, Smenhkara, Ay,Tutanhamon and Horemheb. Her portrayals of Queens' Tiye and Nefertiti are masterful in showing their struggles to govern and hold on to power for the former and to attain power for the latter. Each were women who had husbands who were Pharaohs, but had other agendas which were to the detriment of Egypt. However, these women wanted power and to govern. Gedge's new spin sees Tiye and Nefertiti as rivals with Ay and Horemheb forming a quadrangle of deadly China, murder and political intrigue which resulted from Akhenaten's religious revolution during the Eighteenth Dynasty.

Neferneferaten-Nefertiti
Citizen
Citizen

Location: The Middle of the Middle of Nowhere (aka, near Pittsburgh PA)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That Akhenaten, Dweller In Truth sounds very intreguing! Thanks a lot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: