Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mortuary Temple of Amenhotep III
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Mortuary Temple of Amenhotep III Reply with quote

Quote:
The temple was purposely built so low that the inundation of the Nile would flood its outer courts and halls, probably leaving only the inner sanctuary, built on a knoll above water level, dry. Thus, when the water receded, the whole temple symbolized the emergence of the world from the primeval waters of creation

Tour Egypt

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/amenhotep3temple.htm

I never knew the temple served this function. It is amazing how deeply emotional and deeply symbolic the AE could be- and the ingenious ways they used this has never ceased to amaze me.

This quote intrigued me so much that i had to find out more about this mortuary temple but unfortunately apart from the tour egypt article i have not been able to discover much about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortuary_Temple_of_Amenhotep_III

Like most articles i have found the wiki one simply states how it was made of vulnerable materials and was close to the floodplain and thus decayed within a few hundred years. The tour egypt one is the only article to give a reason for why it is so close to the floodplain and what an amazing insight it truely is!

But what the wiki article offers is a picture of a crocodile sphinx which is amazing and shows the artistic creativity that flourished under his rule.

I am interested in this mortuary temple after reading these articles and was wondering if anyone would care to have a discussion on the subject.[/b]
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the temple before which the Colossi of Memnon stood.
When I did some reading on Amenhotep III there is mention of some inscriptions referring to the construction of this temple if I remember correctly.

This is what I ended up including on my Amenhotep III page:
Amenhotep III was a prolific builder. He built a mortuary temple dedicated to Amen. The only part that remains today of this building are the colossal statues of Amenhotep that stood before the temple. These statues are now known as the colossi of Memnon. Excavations in 2002/2003 have revealed colossal statues of Queen Tiye. One of her figures stood alongside the right leg of the King. Amenhotep had it recorded that the temple floors were treated with silver, and the walls were decorated with gold and electrum.

The site is referred to as Kom el-Hetan, so you will be able to find more info here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=kom+el-hetan
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besty Bryan of Johns Hopkins University suggests that the many statues of Sekhmet now found in the Mut Precinct at Karnak were originally placed in Amunhotep III's mortuary temple. She suggests that these were arranged in a protective circumferance around other statues that may have been a kind of 3-D star map, similar to those found painted on some tomb's ceilings. She suggests that the Sekhmet statues were then moved to the Mut Precinct and elswhere up and down the Nile by one of the Rammeside kings.

Betsy Bryan, 'The statue program for the mortuary temple of Amunhotep
III' In : Quirke, Stephen [Editor], _The Temple in Ancient Egypt New
Discoveries and Recent Research_ ,London, British Museum Press,
1997, pp 112 - 131
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Chrismackint :
But what the wiki article offers is a picture of a crocodile sphinx which is amazing and shows the artistic creativity that flourished under his rule.

The specific name is unknown of this sphinx with crocodile tail.
This deity also appears on the astronomical ceiling of Senmut's tomb in Thebes.
Placed in the northern sky opposite the Taweret figure is the lion-headed and crocodile-tailed sphinx termed "the divine image which is between them".
This epithet refers to its position between two rows of deities in the center of the northern sky. Quite possible intended to evoke that particular "divine image", this statue perhaps suggested the ultimate destination for Amenhotep III, for whose temple the statue was created.

In ancient Egypt, the lion and crocodile also evoked the solar sky. In the King's Valley tomb of Ramses IX, the sun disk traveling across the sky appears illustrated upon the body of a crocodile. The reptile gives birth to the sun in the morning; because the lion was a well-known horizon marker, the double image, too, may evoke the sun's birth at the close of the night.
This same lion-and-crocodile sphinx is also attested in the reign of Amenhotep III on an alabaster water clock in the Cairo museum.

pg 216 Egypt's Dazzling sun " Images in animal form "
Bryand and Kozloff
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sources say the statues of A3 were 15m high while others say 23m-does anyone here know?
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really very good with meter vs. feet, but I think that 15 m sounds about right.
It's startling to see them standing alone on the plain. It's even more awesome to realize that they stood at the entrance to a temple!
They don't "sing" anymore. One of the Roman emorers had them restored a bit, and the sound they made stopped. Evidently, the "singing" was the sound they made as the stone warmed in the sun.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the 'singing' was caused by the wind blowing through a crack in the stone? That's what one of my book says, and it makes sense-call me stupid but I don't see how a stone being warmed by the sun can make a noise Idea
carla
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here some pictures of the Colossi I made last year novenber, when I was walking to the mountains:

Teje
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures Carla Smile !
barbel
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]

This shot gives an idea of how big the temple actually was.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this temple because i like A3 personality.

"In a letter The King of Babylon complined that all the foreign kings who had married his daughters had sent him gifts, but that Amenhotep, who was married to the babylonian kings sister, had sent nothing. Amenhotep replies that he will gladly send the king a gift then adds tersely "But it's a fine thing to give away your daughters for the sake of a nugget of gold from your neighborus!"."

source of quote

"The Glories of Ancient Egypt
Treasures of the Pharaohs"

Delia Pemberton

Joann Fletcher, Consultant
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://heritage-key.com/blogs/ann/six-missing-pieces-pharaoh-amenhotep-iii-queen-tiye-statue-found-kings-funerary-temple
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gallery of some finds from a few years back.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/03/photogalleries/Egypt-pictures/photo3.html
luxor1066
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were over 750 statue's on show when the temple was fully functional.

Also there are many new finds as the temple sank into the ground during inundation, it is said that there is a treasure trove waiting to be discovered under the surrounding fields and nearby buildings, including the Marsam Hotel used by Egyptologists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: