Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book of the Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shepenmut wrote:
kmt_sesh have you ever heard of Wesir-Sokar?

LOL, Okay, no I'm not Kmt_sesh...obviously (incase you were wondering Surprised ), but I thought I'd mention that - according to Crystalinks - there's mention of an inscription with the title 'Osiris Seker' at the Dendera Temple...

Quote:
On the walls of the temple of Dendera is preserved a very interesting group of scenes connected with the story of the death and resurrection of the god, which may be briefly described thus :...

...23. Osiris rising up out of a basket {?]. which rests upon a pedestal ; behind him stands Isis with her wings stretched out on both sides of him, and before him is a bearded god who presents to him "life." On the right is a second scene in which the god is seen kneeling within the boat of the double Tet, wherein are papyrus plant and a lotus plant, the emblems of the south and North respectively. The boat rests upon a sledge, the supports of which are made in the form of inverted lotus flowers, which are well known types of the dawn and of renewed life. The title of the god here is "Osiris Seker, lord of the funeral chest {at} Abydos."

(bold highlight is mine)

That's probably not even what you were after...but, anyways. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shepenmut wrote:
Quote:
kmt_sesh have you ever heard of Wesir-Sokar?

I have not. I mentioned Ptah-Osiris on the Late Period coffin of Harwa, so it doesn't surprise me that there are other permutations, especially considering both Ptah and Sokar are of the Memphis/Saqqara region (though Ptah in particular was worshiped throughout Egypt, of course).

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
Quote:
LOL, Okay, no I'm not Kmt_sesh...obviously (incase you were wondering Surprised )...

Are you sure you're not me? I know the feeling somedays. You wake up not really knowing who you are, or who you aren't. I hate days like that. Razz

But thanks for digging up that interesting quote. Hard at work, as usual.

I was reading Wilkinson's book on the gods and goddesses and he states that Ptah-Sokar was an earlier incarnation, to be followed eventually by the union with Osiris (Ptah-Sokar-Osiris). This is more an evolution of Ptah than of Osiris, I now see. There is also a close association with the ancient Memphite earth god, Tatenen. As with many gods Ptah evolved and merged with other deities (e.g., Ptah-Nun, Ptah-Naunet, and Ptah-Tatenen), and because of this his associations with the Egyptian cosmos changed. Originally Ptah had little to do with the afterlife, but his blending with Sokar and then Osiris lended him a chthonic aspect.

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it is Sokar that is the more unknown of the trio. Even his name, or the origin of it, is in question. The most accepted theory is the mention of the Clensing of the Mouth ritual. in which the phrase "sk r" is used. His attributes are mostly unknown, but one of the most popular was as a God of the underworld. It was Ptah's association with him and with Osiris that gave Ptah his underworld status--until that association, Ptah was, more or less, a God of Creation.
You can find interesting information on Sokar, and his association with Ptah and Osiris, on www.touregypt.net
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of sokar, he is known to be the underworld god who was known to protect tombs and a patron for workers later on in the history of AE...
check these websites for more info
http://www.nemo.nu/ibisportal/0egyptintro/1egypt/index.htm
or

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/sokar.htm
elkhalili78
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanxx for this usefull information it's really interesting to know about the book of the dead , i didn know anything about it ...
Silaku Nasuwt
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the book of the dead in the original Egyptian, and I can read it but I'm to scared to incase I wake someone up Twisted Evil

lik Imhotep...

//z11.invisionfree.com/The_Mummy_Movies
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry. Very Happy The Book of the Dead is for your afterlife and to protect your ba on its perilous journey. It will cause you no harm.

But why not wake up Imhotep, one of history's most enigmatic figures? I'm sure the Discovery Channel would jump on it and have Zahi Hawass interview him for a Sunday evening special.

Visit my blog!
Silaku Nasuwt
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah! Laughing

//z11.invisionfree.com/The_Mummy_Movies
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea where I could find a transcript of chapter 154 of the Book of the Dead and/or which New Kingdom literature tells about Thoth fixing life spans to the gods and humans?
apophis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhesenamun, the text for this is in Raymond Faulkner's translation of the Papyrus of Ani which includes the complete Theban Recension (Chapter 154 is in the back of the book since it does not appear in the Papyrus of Ani). He translates it as, "Chapter for not letting the corpse perish." I can't paste the whole translation here since it's rather long (and under copyright), but if you have any questions about it, I'd be happy to try and answer them.
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very helpful thank you. I was hoping it featured in the Papyrus of Ani but did not particulary want to read all of the sections which I've found so far. Embarassed I shall check out that book. Thank you Smile
apophis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, no problem Wink
Trixie24
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the book of the dead. I haven't begun to read it yet... I have a book to finish before hand. However as others have said it does exist.
Embrace_Egypt
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In The Mummy and The Mummy Returns there's the Book Of The Dead and The Book Of The Living.
I think one book brought a person to life and the other book took a person's life away from them.

I think this was the Book Of The Dead from The
Mummy and The Mummy Returns Very Happy

Above is my reason for the interest in Ancient Egypt. May not
be accurate but it sure is great
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, after The Mummy came out, we docents at the museum were getting a lot of inquiries about the Book of the Dead. The movie made it seem as though only one had ever been written, so people were actually asking us, "Do you have the Book of the Dead here?" That went on for a long time. LOL It's frightening that grownups would believe this sort of thing.

That question is rare nowadays. However, people still sometimes ask if we have the beetles that crawl inside you and eat you from the inside-out. I'm happy to say it's young kids who usually ask this, after having seen the film on DVD, but still...

Movies are fun. I have both The Mummy and The Mummy Returns on DVD, and they are highly entertaining. It strikes me, though, how people actually take this stuff for fact. Shocked

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: