Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I just brought these books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: I just brought these books Reply with quote

"The Glories of Ancient Egypt
Treasures of the Pharaohs"

Delia Pemberton

Joann Fletcher, Consultant

It's nothing spectacular and cost me $45.00 but it is ok as i brought it because it had some nice pictures in it i liked but the old and middle and late periods bore me only the late 18 dyn stuff was good.

p175 Ramses3 wearing blue crown surmounted with a solar disk and the atef crowns feathers and horns and beside his main cobra are two others one wearing the red crown the other the white crown

i liked this picture from the book it's so unusual i was just reading it and did u know R3 planted a total of 541 gardens/vineyards at temples around Egypt during his reign? I never knew he liked gardening!

p108-109 is the reason i brought the book-two beautiful pictures of tuts innermost coffin-really nice to look at-he looks so otherworldly and i find amarna art relaxing to look at for some reason.

"The Treasures of Tutankhamun and the Egyptian Museum of Cairo"

Text by Alessia Amenta Photographs by Araldo de Luca

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/8854400688.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'd seen this book in the bookstore and had been looking through it-it's ok but not worth the $65.00 i paid for it as only the Treasures of tut pictures interest me the others were just a waste of space.
I only brought this book because of the teriffic scene on pages 184-185 of tut and his wife.
Also the gold shrine pictures on p178-179 with Ankhesenamun tieing up tuts necklace is pretty spectacular.

I know it's stupid to buy a book because of two pictures but i had been given money for christmas to buy myself something by family members so i did!
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p193.The gilded fan showing tut hunting two ostrich is an amazing scene because it's the first time i have seen AE depict ostritches!
One has an arrow in it's side while the other has collappsed.
Little treats like this where the book shows pictures or has information that i've never seen or heard of before is what makes buying them worthwhile.

I'm glad i brought these books now-i have been having withdrawl symptoms up until last night about spending so much on two books but now i am looking through them and finding heaps of interesting stuff about all periods of AE history-feels really good.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p193 of "The Treasures of Tutankhamun and the Egyptian Museum of Cairo"

I only wish the pictures were not just restricted to the cairo museum-be nice if the photographer who took those incredible pictures made a book dedicated solely to the new kingdom with an emphasis on amarna and tuts treasure and the ramesside period featuring artifacts from all the worlds museums and not just artifacts from cairo.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look for this book:
Pharaohs of the Sun: Akhenaten : Nefertiti : Tutankhamen (Hardcover)
by Boston Museum of Fine Arts (Corporate Author), Rita E. Freed (Editor), Yvonne J. Markowitz (Editor), Sue H. D'Auria (Editor)
ISBN-10: 0821226207
ISBN-13: 978-0821226209

It's a wonderful book about the Amarna Period and it has great photographs.

Quote:
did u know R3 planted a total of 541 gardens/vineyards at temples around Egypt during his reign? I never knew he liked gardening!

I seriously doubt this has anything to do with a love of gardening Smile
The kings endowed temples with property, and I think it should be seen in this light. The vineyards would have provided the temples with their own supply of wine.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from it's title that book sounds like one i'd be interested in. Thanks for giving me the details about it anneke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: