Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Roman Catholic Church a cult of Amun-Ra?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewayshemoves wrote:
Definitely Zoroastrianism was a huge influence on Judaism, and of course Babylonian tradition. Wasn't the Old Testament probably partially conceived during the captivity in Babylon? I don't really believe that Judaism was "copied" from anything, as some people have said in other places. I was mostly just trying to find parallels. I guess it could be said that there are parallels between ancient Mayans and AE too, seeing as how they both had pyramids, haha. About Osiris, wasn't he probably initially more of a grain god, anyway?

I've also come across people claiming that Judaism is basically a carbon copy of this or that religion. This irks me, and I'm not even Jewish. It's an exceedingly overly simplistic and uninformed opinion. Not to mention fundamentally flawed, of course. The ancient Hebraic religion in nascent form began developing essentially much the same way as the religions in ancient Egypt, Babylon, Assyria, Hatti, and elsewhere--it borrowed freely from neighboring religions and made it its own.

I would agree that at least partially the Old Testament was conceived during captivity in Babylon. The caveat here is that much of it was probably already in place--the earliest penning of the texts we would call the Old Testament was probably around the seventh century BCE. But it seems many of the texts that existed prior to captivity were edited during captivity, with others redacted and still others added. In other words, at this time the Old Testament was still a work in process, which is entirely understandable. When you go from the glories of monarchy to vassal-captive status under the boots of the Chaldeans in Babylon, you're no doubt compelled to rethink things. Surprised

LOL Now don't even start with the Egyptian and Maya pyramid thing! We don't want this to start sounding like an episode of Ancient Aliens. Laughing

Visit my blog!
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL Now don't even start with the Egyptian and Maya pyramid thing! We don't want this to start sounding like an episode of Ancient Aliens.

Heaven forbid. I never understood why people are always trying to compare Mayan civilization with A.E. They are completely different. There is until now also no trace found both civilizations had any contact with each other. Maya pyramids are also much younger than the A.E. and served completely different purpose.
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Quote:
LOL Now don't even start with the Egyptian and Maya pyramid thing! We don't want this to start sounding like an episode of Ancient Aliens.

Heaven forbid. I never understood why people are always trying to compare Mayan civilization with A.E. They are completely different. There is until now also no trace found both civilizations had any contact with each other. Maya pyramids are also much younger than the A.E. and served completely different purpose.

I can give you three reasons:

1.Both lived in a warm to hot country
2 Both disappeared from the face of the Earth
3. Both build Pyramids

The simple human mind wants to see patterns, and if it can't find one, it makes one. Observe: (Bit difficult in Belgium with so many hours TV) but take a point in time when no broadcast is being transmitted (snow) look at it and gradually you will start to see simple patterns; one blink of an eye and they are gone again) OK? Sorry, thus not implying that your mind is simple, my friend!

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. If you look long enough at clouds you can see also different things in them.
But canít comply with the reasons:

1.Both lived in a warm to hot country, Egypt was warm to hot, but had not the same climate as in Latin America. E.g. in the rainforest, it rains, A.E. knew rain, but it was in any case more rare.

2 Both disappeared from the face of the Earth. There are still descendants from the ancient Mayaís and Aztecs, as there are descendents from A.E., though more difficult to determine, better example are Nubians.

3. Both build Pyramids. Their architecture is completely different and also the purpose of those structures.

Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
I understand. If you look long enough at clouds you can see also different things in them.
But can’t comply with the reasons:

1.Both lived in a warm to hot country, Egypt was warm to hot, but had not the same climate as in Latin America. E.g. in the rainforest, it rains, A.E. knew rain, but it was in any case more rare.

2 Both disappeared from the face of the Earth. There are still descendants from the ancient Maya’s and Aztecs, as there are descendents from A.E., though more difficult to determine, better example are Nubians.

3. Both build Pyramids. Their architecture is completely different and also the purpose of those structures.

I would check the stories about the weather in Dynasty 0, I think you now relate too much to the situation as it is today. Hello... I mean the real Mayas and A.E. and those are gone, you and I also are descendants of some historic tribes, but are we as skillful (Don 't think so)
So, according to you there are as many different types of Christians, or Muslims for that matter, because they build their churches, mosks different?
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this "discussion" aleady over? It just got started!

Richard, aka
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of good understanding and since we canít agree on this, I rest my case. I have basic knowledge of Mayan, Toltec, Aztec civilization, but not enough to put them in correct timelines. Though these and other civilizations are interesting to me, I prefer to stay, especially here on the forum, to stick with A.E.
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
For the sake of good understanding and since we can’t agree on this, I rest my case. I have basic knowledge of Mayan, Toltec, Aztec civilization, but not enough to put them in correct timelines. Though these and other civilizations are interesting to me, I prefer to stay, especially here on the forum, to stick with A.E.

Good afternoon Ranoferhotep,

No discussion should ever interfere with good, and mutual understanding, but also good, and mutual understanding should not interfere with a good discussion as the first is not in contradiction with the latter, and never should be!

Richard, aka

Richard, aka
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Quote:
The simple human mind wants to see patterns, and if it can't find one, it makes one.

Leaving out the occult nonsense, there are so many similarities between Mesoamerica and AE that sometimes when reading this blog I think I'm reading about one of the Mesoamerican civilizations.

In July/August Archaelogy magazine there's a female sculpture from Tamtoc, Mexico, with the same scarification on her legs I see on AE women (a triple diamond pattern). When I look at an implement for the Opening of the Mouth ceremony, I think of eccentric flints that often appeared in foundation deposits and yes they both had foundation deposits.

I could go on and on, but my conclusion is that human nature is the same no matter the race or civilization, and artists (since all the evidence is in one of the arts) create similarly because of that fact.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephaniep wrote:
Toth wrote:
Quote:
The simple human mind wants to see patterns, and if it can't find one, it makes one.

Leaving out the occult nonsense, there are so many similarities between Mesoamerica and AE that sometimes when reading this blog I think I'm reading about one of the Mesoamerican civilizations.

In July/August Archaelogy magazine there's a female sculpture from Tamtoc, Mexico, with the same scarification on her legs I see on AE women (a triple diamond pattern). When I look at an implement for the Opening of the Mouth ceremony, I think of eccentric flints that often appeared in foundation deposits and yes they both had foundation deposits.

I could go on and on, but my conclusion is that human nature is the same no matter the race or civilization, and artists (since all the evidence is in one of the arts) create similarly because of that fact.

Good Evening Stephaniep. Thank you for your contribution, I did not know these facts about the mesoamerican civilizations, so this is new to me. Thanks again!

Richard, aka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: