Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canopic Jars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok..because i was wondering...since animals were revered and all ..i thought perhaps that there might have been something dedicated like canopic jars or something of the sort..thanks anyways
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would've been extremely rare for animals to have them, but the most obvious example is the Apis bull. These sacred cows were mummified like humans and their organs stored in canopic jars--very large canopic jars, as you can imagine.

Visit my blog!
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes..the apis bull...but is that the only animal..are there any other examples of anicmals which were..i guess..so loved that their masters planned to bury them with canopic jars and such?
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo wrote:

Quote:
oh yes..the apis bull...but is that the only animal..are there any other examples of anicmals which were..i guess..so loved that their masters planned to bury them with canopic jars and such?

You still don't seem to understand- the Apis wouldn't have had a 'master' as he was a living Avatar of the God Ptah. As far as animals that did have masters, ie pets, no, I've never heard of canopics for these animals. But dogs were buried with new collars and leashes, sometimes with their own dishes, etc. And there is a whole tomb at Giza that was commisioned by the king for a dog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the Mnevis bull cult, for which only a couple of tombs have been found. Canopics were present there, too. Evisceration was common in the mummification of many larger animals but I don't know of canopic packages being used for them. My death and burial studies involve primarily human mummies and kat is our resident expert on animal cults--she'd probably know this better than I.

Visit my blog!
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a clarifying question..what was the "Mnevis bull cult"?
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo wrote:
[quote]what was the "Mnevis bull cult"?
[/quote]

In Manfred Lurker's _Illustrated Dictionary of the Gods abd Symbols of Ancient Egypt_, is the following information:

[quote]MNEVIS BULL One of the several sacred bulls of Egypt. He was kept at Heliopolis, the centre of the sun cult, and i represented with the solar disc and uraeus between his horns. As part of the sun cult he was regarded as an incarnation of Re and a mediator of the god Atum.[/quote]

The entry goes on to say that Akhenaten established (moved ?)this cult at AkhetAten when he moved his capital to the new city.
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmt_Sesh wrote:

[quote]kat is our resident expert on animal cults--she'd probably know this better than I.[/quote]

:oops: Thank you for the kind words- but I'm really not an expert. More like an egotistical self-taught housewife!
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one more major cult of a sacred bull in AE- that of Buchis. Again, from Lurker:

Quote:
BUCHIS The sacred bull of Hermonthis (Armant) south of Thebes. He was regarded as an incarnation of Re and Osiris. Like his counterpart at Memphis, the sacred Apis bull, Buchis was buried in great splendour in a vast underground catacomb called the Bucheum. This was discovered, ravaged throughout the centuries, by Robert Mond and W. B. Emory in 1927.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Embarassed Thank you for the kind words- but I'm really not an expert. More like an egotistical self-taught housewife!

#Rofl Well, as far as we Egyptian Dreamers go, I'd certainly call you the resident expert on animal cults. Any question I pose on it, you seem to know the answer or what article to link us to in order to find the answer.

Quote:
There is one more major cult of a sacred bull in AE- that of Buchis.

DOH! I knew I was forgetting one of the major bull cults and for some reason it's usually the Buchis I forget.

Visit my blog!
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what other bull cults were there except for apis, menevis, and buchis?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the only three of which I'm aware.

The Apis cult was centered at Memphis and Saqqara; it was associated with Ptah. The Mnevis cult was centered at Heliopolis and was associated with Re. And the Buchis cult was centered at Armant (Hermonthis) and was associated with Re and Osiris; it was also linked with the war god Montu. Only a few canopics have been found for the bulls mummified at these places, although I'm not certain if any are known from Armant.

Visit my blog!
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did these specific cults require canopic jars like u have mentioned-- being emphasized by the religion or its texts?
Seti
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Canopic Jars Reply with quote

This topic has been running for a while so my question might have been answered already and I might have missed it.
My question is what happened to other organs e.g. pancreas, spleen, kidneys, bladder? Some sources say, in effect, we don't know (Robert G Mayer) others that, for instance, the spleen was placed with the stomach or intestines (according to who you read). Yet others say that the mysterious bundles drawn on sleds (as shown in funerary scenes) were basically leftovers not appropriate for putting in Canopic jars.
Can anyone help please? It has been very frustrating trying to get this information. Thanks.
Derek Idea
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Seti. Very Happy I believe that often (not always) the kidneys were left inside the body. This was because they're hard to locate through the small incision in the left side of the body, so they were often just missed, and it's often been said that the Egyptians (or at least, many of them) might not have known of their existence or what their function was. As for the other organs they simply got mixed up with the other organs that went in the canopic jars in many cases. If the mysterious bundles that are depicted being drawn on sleds were in fact left over residue from the mummification (like, mummy bandaging, brain matter, and other organs), then it is possible that these bundles would also indicate things like the spleen, pancreas, and bladder as well, but only in cases where they were clearly distinguished from the liver, lungs, intestines, and stomach (canopic materials), and could be separated with ease. Smile

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: