Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Article by Gabolde: Akhenaten, Kiya, and Ankhkheperure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Article by Gabolde: Akhenaten, Kiya, and Ankhkheperure Reply with quote

This article by Gabolde is part of
"Causing His Name to Live: Studies in Egyptian Epigraphy and History in Memory of William J. Murnane"
http://history.memphis.edu/murnane/

Gabolde begins his article with: "I am delighted to present this tribute to his memory, a roving walk in the company of one of his favorite pharaohs, under a deep blue starry sky."

"Under a deep blue starry sky" covers quite a bit of ground. It starts off with a piece of inlay from KV 55 and a discussion of where it came from.

There is a reconstruction of the original inscriptions of the canopic jars from KV55 (after Krauss) mentioning Kiya.

Then there's a discussion about the final owner of the jars. Gabolde argues they must have belonged to Akhenaten.

He also gives a reconstruction of some of the inscriptions on a pectoral from Tutankhamen's tomb and argues that the inscription mentions Ankhetkheperure Neferneferuaten.

Gabolde states:
"These praenomen and nomen show indisputably that this king was a female pharaoh other than the husband of Merytaten, Semenkhkare, who is doubtlessly male."

The pictures on page 19 are quite interesting as they show the underlying inscriptions and the reconstruction of the original text.

A similar reconstruction of the Selkis cofinette's texts are shown on page 21. These are again argued to mention Ankhetkheperure Neferneferuaten.

I haven't had time to fully read through the arguments, but it looks quite interesting.

The pdf file is here:
http://history.memphis.edu/murnane/M%20Gabolde.pdf
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke,

Thanks for posting this article, I'am gonna print it and read it later Smile.
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and controversial. He concludes that the human remains in KV-55 belonged to Akhenaten himself who died around his 25/28 yrs old and therefore was also a boy-king in his accession to the throne, and the blurry pharaoh Nefernefruaten Ankh(et)kheperure was none else but Meritaten. How about it?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitely controversial Very Happy

The arguments for the higher age for the body in KV55 are interesting. It's hard for the layperson like me to make heads or tails of it at this point. From what I had read before, the different parts of the skeleton give somewhat different estimates. The ribs I think point to someone as young as 16, while other parts of the body point to a bit higher age at death (pelvis and femur I think?)

It seems to me that even if it's established that Ankh(et)kheperure is a woman, then there is still a big question as to which one exactly. And it still doesn't answer the question if she was a sole ruler or a co-ruler with pharaonic aspirations or even a regent with pharaonic aspirations. (Akhenaten as a cross-dresser? - Just kidding)

I do need to print out the article and read it over carefully to see what the arguments are.

From what I have seen so far though it's an interesting article with some nice explanations for the reasoning behind the theories.
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'He concludes that the human remains in KV-55 belonged to Akhenaten himself who died around his 25/28 yrs old and therefore was also a boy-king in his accession to the throne'

I've often thought that some of the naturalistic portraits supposedly made late in Akhenatens reign actually have the proportions of a child and might be from the beginning rather than the end of the reign eg the figurines with the offering tables.

That said, if you argue that Akhenaten might have come to the throne as a boy, that means the religious reforms and the move to Akhetaten (yr 6?) would have had to have been instigated by someone of no more than 13-14 years of age. Seems unlikely. Unless you think Amenophis III had a big hand in it too. Though if he did, surely his monuments would have been subject to the same persecution at the hands of Horemheb et al.

The coffin in KV55 is female. The epithets on the coffin describe the occupant as 'Beloved of Akhenaten'. The corpse was posed in a female manner. The occupant is most probably in their early twenties. If everyone wasn't so certain it was a bloke, I'd say it was odds-on it was Meritaten and she was the female regent and/or female pharaoh.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELISE wrote:
"That said, if you argue that Akhenaten might have come to the throne as a boy, that means the religious reforms and the move to Akhetaten (yr 6?) would have had to have been instigated by someone of no more than 13-14 years of age. Seems unlikely. Unless you think Amenophis III had a big hand in it too."

The article by Arielle Kozloff now comes to mind. The move to Akhetaten by a 13-14 year old would be something that could have easily been done with backing of advisors. And if there were some plague, then moving the young royal family elsewhere makes sense. The real religious extremism doesn't come into play until ca year 9, i.e. when he would have been ca 18-20. Such a big change as he's coming of age would make some sense.

I think his theories are interesting. The fact that Meritaten is the only daughter shown in Karnak and Ankhesenpaaten doesn't make her debut until after year 6 could either mean that small babies weren't depicted, or it could mean that Akhenaten didn't have children until after he came to the throne. That could also point to a younger age for him.

The depictions in the tomb of Ramose of Akhenaten as Amenhotep IV are interesting because in one of the scenes he is shown in the traditional style and without a wife. He is of course shown with Nefertiti in the same tomb in another scene, but in the traditional style depiction he's alone. Not Married yet? Nefertiti not important enough yet? Or just a case where the king is shown alone?

If the KV 55 equipment really belonged to Ankhetkheperure Neferneferuaten, then what actually happened to the original owner? Did Tut have her reburied in less splendid funerary equipment? Was she ever buried in them at all? Hmmm KV64 or KV65 maybe? Very Happy
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Hmmm KV64 or KV65 maybe? Very Happy

Don't you just wish you could get a shovel and start digging?! Smile

How can archaelogists stand the waiting around for permits, permissions and breaks in the season! It'd drive me mad!
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giovanni Battista Belzoni and dynamite...
Good times!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: