Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mummies in Museums
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Mummies in Museums Reply with quote

What do you think about the way we use mummies? I know it is great to learn about the past, and mummies are fascinating, but do you not think that they deserve some dignity?

As an example, Ramesses the Great was a tremendous ruler, he lived for 96 years, had a lot of stamina (had 200 wives and concubines, 96 sons and 60 daughters Shocked ), and ruled for 67 years and yet winds up as an exhibit in a museum, thousands of years after his death.

Anybody like to give their opinions?
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol maybe people are ignoring their feelings about dignity.. because their DAMN JEALOUS he had SO many chix0rz!

lol i think its not very fair. I think that (MAYBE) they should like.. make a new tomb for the ones they find with the correct rights, and all the stuff they wanted.. and well.. if we REALLY want to see all the stuff.. well then i guess we could tour these newly made tombs.. with LOTS OF SECURITY.. i dunno.. or close it up after we do that.. I know its disturbing them.. but.. it would make them "live longer" i dunno tho.. because the orginal tombs are special too.. oh gosh williosh! i dunno!!! AHH!!
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: It is not right in my opinion Reply with quote

I think that people are forgetting that the mummies are the remains of real people like them. How would you like for your father or grandfather's corpse in a glass case with thousands of people looking at them. I think that the mummies should be returned to their tombs and a glass wall place on the outer of the room with the artifacts and view them like that. It keeps their remains in the tomb and we get to look at the past. Even though it is still wrong to break into a tomb and take the remain out anyway. Remember most tombs had text says that those who disturb their tomb that the gods shall come upon them as a plauge upon the weak.
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thats why i stand on THIS side of the glass
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: It is not right in my opinion Reply with quote

Jason Patterson wrote:
I think that people are forgetting that the mummies are the remains of real people like them. How would you like for your father or grandfather's corpse in a glass case with thousands of people looking at them.

That's the way I feel too. I wouldn't like to think that in a few thousand years I would be dug up, poked, prodded, analysed, and put on display to everyone.

Can you also imagine having a picture of your 2000+ year old dead body depicted on a postcard? I just think we have gone a bit to far in the name of "science" when it comes to mummifed bodies.

Anyway, that's my view, sorry if anyone doesn't agree, but then that's what a discussion board is for...
Jan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I agree with some of the comments passed I’m going to play devil’s advocate here and say that I'm not sure Ramesses would have been bothered by the fact he is still viewed and admired by thousands of people every year in a museum - better than rotting away in some cache that wasn't even his original tomb. And in a roundabout way the throngs are still paying homage to the great Pharaoh, much as they did when he was alive - infact, even more so, as he now has international fame.

Also I find the 'mummies room' at the Cairo Antiquities Museum (where incidentally no photography is allowed), to be quite a dignified, serene and respectful location, especially if you compare it to the ‘roll them in – roll them out’ experience of visiting Tutankhamun’s tomb in the Valley of the Kings.

Just some of my thoughts on the subject.
Bast
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are dead people.. but still we learn about the past from them. Their presence in the museums is innevitable. This is the only way for some people to get a glimpse of these so famous mummies. Curiosity is more powerful than respect for the dead.
This can be associated with a zoo, only the animals in the zoo are still alive and yet - caged. But a zoo is my only chance to see an elephant, or a rhino for now. Though it is sad to see them locked behind bars...
Scientist study the mummies-this is also violation against them. But it is only the only way to learn about them, isn't it? And you really want to know as much as possible. Curiosity is in the human nature.
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bast wrote:
But a zoo is my only chance to see an elephant, or a rhino for now.

Don't get me started on Zoo's - Your explaination is for selfish reasons - YOU want to see it - nevermind what the animal wants.

Also with regards to mummies, while I agree they need to be studied so that we learn, I object to making them showpieces to satisfy peoples morbid facscination above the respect of the individual involved. You can learn from a book, you can view pictures in a book, you can see animals in a book, but do you really need to go and see them in the flesh? If so why?

As you rightly say, curiosity is human nature, but don't forget, it killed the cat.
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i dont like zoos either Smile..

I also agree that pictures should do.. even for study...:S i think peeps should respect them.. or what they wanted...

I know maybe in my earlier post i might have said otherstuff.. but i thought more on the subject and i do agree .
wannabe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan wrote:

Also I find the 'mummies room' at the Cairo Antiquities Museum (where incidentally no photography is allowed), to be quite a dignified, serene and respectful location, especially if you compare it to the ‘roll them in – roll them out’ experience of visiting Tutankhamun’s tomb in the Valley of the Kings.

Just some of my thoughts on the subject.

I agree with this comment.
The cairo Museum and the mummification museum in Luxor are both very quiet peaceful places. The "tut" experience is more disturbing.

Ramses mummy is very weird, he was so old when he died and the position he is in it looks like he is going to spring to life any moment! Shocked

It is difficult as a Scientist and a very Spiritual individual to have an opinion. It was interesting to see them and I'm sure we would all love to know how the Anceint Egyptians managed such an amazing process as mummification. On the other hand we are viewing the dead! I do find them quite creepy. Confused
Bast
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I agree with on everything but one: you can't convince me that you will feel the same way when you stand in front of a 3000 year-old mummy and when you are watching a picture ot it.
I totally agree zoos are cruel. I just gave it as an axample. But however, they exhist weather you want to or not. And since they exhist, I'd rather go there and see a live elephant than die without seeing any.
But we've gone too far from the subject.
If you could, Kevin, wouldn't you like to see a real mummy? Be honest.
The mummys are in a museum. You can blame the people who put them there, but not the poeple who go to see them.
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bast wrote:
If you could, Kevin, wouldn't you like to see a real mummy? Be honest.

I've seen several but it still doesn't mean I think it's right.

Bast wrote:
You can blame the people who put them there, but not the poeple who go to see them.

I'm sorry but I still don't agree - I think that's like saying don't blame the people for buying ivory, blame the people who supply it. While there's demand there will be supply. Stop the demand and the supply stops. This is my personal opinion and I do respect other peoples right to their opinions, whatever they may be.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on this subject. My posts on this topic tell you my opinion. Wink
wannabe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is more disturbing than viewing the dead is the fact that their beliefs meant that they were tombed with all there worldly possessions for the afterlife. Then they are taken from that tomb with all the writings on the wall to guide them ,food, transport, jewels etc... to a glass box in unfamiliar surroundings being gauped at by millions!
It goes against all their beliefs.
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bodies should remain in there final resting places because its no diferent from digging up someones grave today and removing them so tourists can gander at them. Imagine how Ramases or Even Lenin would feel if they new there bodies where on display and not burried with there loved ones where they belong! Very Happy
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: