Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mummies in Museums
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem is that people will take them if they arent secured in museums.

Showing them however ....
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there even any real mummy theft cases out there lol
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sacking of the museaum in iraq shows there are still people who want these kinds of things and the digs in egypt are well guarded.
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol society is funny.. thats all i got to say
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey lets go steal a mummy hat

Laughing
Broadway_Babe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: My thought Reply with quote

Although I think there should certainly be respect for the dead, we learn soooo much more about their culture through science. None of us would be here (in this forum) if we couldn't go into the tombs. We wouldn't be here because the facination we all share would be gone. We would have nothing to fall in love with....no artifacts and the time might disappear all together. Pharaohs long forgotten were rediscovered. My only problem is King Tut has become sooo famous when he didn't really do much.

Another thing is this: Most scientists respect the bodies of the dead. Grave-robbers would take the mummies and sell them as fire wood. If the tombs have already been disturbed, I think it is much better to be able to learn from the past then let it be burned away. I would love to know that by looking at me, future generations could learn about my life style. The artifacts found in tombs and the process of mummification is so amazing, it brings us deeper into their culture and lives. It consumes us. Tell me, how many of you have stared at the mask of Tut? That was discovered in a tomb...
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true.. :S i wonder what they'd want.. to be buried forever.. or for people to study them.. and stuff.. and.. live on?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is fascinating to see a mummy. What I would like to see even more is those forensic reconstructions they do using computer scans of the skulls. Looking at the real Ramses II, or whatever other famous individual you are looking at, is strange because it is somehat hard to imagine the real life person before they were turned into beef jerky.

I would love to see them scan the mummies, find out what they looked like, how tall they were, and then make a bust or statue in their likeness. Nice reconstructions showing the clothing they wore would be interesting too.

There are other aspects of the mummification process that are interesting to see. Some mummies had their cheeks padded, so they looked more life-like. Others had false eyes. There is a change over time in how the mummies were wrapped. Seeing those examples displayed gives a different impression than just looking at a picture.

For as far of the dignity of such a display: What about Lenin's body being on display in Moskou? What about so many museum displays. Is it really so much worse than displaying someone's funerary urn?
Queen Tyie
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel i totally agree that the mummies should stay in thier rightful burial place. I mean is that what you want? Would you like to be diplayed without your permission, that is what they are basically doing to theses people. Twisted Evil
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying. If they wait another 2000-3000 years though, they can do whatever they want with my remains (including displaying them).

You are right in saying though that these people were never asked, and hence some extra care should be taken
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i wouldnt care if people wanted to.. but your talking bout disturbing their beliefs.. and intruding. Actually i dont think anyone will ever display me.. not that im not special.. but after i fall to my death i wish to become ashes!!
Neith
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've told everyone who might have input that I want to be cremated.

As for mummies, though, didn't their religion say that having your name remembered was a way of supplying you in the afterlife? If that's the case, they're doing just fine.

Really, though, I'm a big fan of leaving them wrapped up and just doing MRI scans and X-rays and whatever else science will come up with. I don't need to see the grisly aftermath.
Rip Li
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: It is not right in my opinion Reply with quote

[quote="Jason Patterson"]I think that people are forgetting that the mummies are the remains of real people like them. How would you like for your father or grandfather's corpse in a glass case with thousands of people looking at them.

That's what will happen to Simon Cowell.

I always visit Harwa at the Field Museum, but I didn't realize how wrong it must be to display the mummies like that, until now.
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Simon Cowell will definatley be embalmed and but in a class case beside Lenin in Red Square!
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a vision of Simon amidst flames, in an orgy of shrieks and moans, so I rather thought he'd be cremated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: