Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Geographic DNA Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: National Geographic DNA Project Reply with quote

I took the plunge tonight and sent off for a DNA analysis kit from National Geographic. Many of my fellow docents at the Field Museum have been taking part in the NG's Genographic Project, and they've so enjoyed it that I finally caved in, too.

NG will send you a kit and all the materials you need to take your own DNA sample and send it back in. All they require for the test is one vital organ; luckily the kit includes a scalpel and retractors. Anesthesia is optional. All right, I'm joking. All you have to do is swab your cheek.

The NG testers will analyze your DNA for Y-DNA (for men) or mtDNA (mitochondrial DNA, for women), though as I understand it you can choose which you prefer to have performed, regardless of gender.

The test will track your ancient ancestry starting from "Eve," the prehistoric African mommy from which we all originate. In other words you won't learn about more recent ancestry, but the results show where your ancient family line traveled in the process of migration from Africa. It's great fun to see where your roots lie.

Because I'm adopted and have very little understanding of my biological family, I'm especially curious to see the results. Smile

The test is somewhat expensive ($107.50 US), so be warned if you're interested. The results take around eight weeks to arrive, and then you can become part of the NG project. Check the link I provided above for more information.

I'll leave this thread here for now, and will share my results with you folks. I'm just hoping my results will clarify that I'm from Earth. There's been some debate about that.

Wink

Visit my blog!
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the symbols found in my crashed spaceship, I'm from the lost city of Disney Land, which was the captial of Neptune. Wink

That does sound very interesting. I'd be curious to know when my ancient ancestors ended up in Western Europe. Let us know what you find out.
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds quite amazing. I would love to know but I would prefer to not give my DNA to any organization. Make sure you remember to post your results here when you do get them. I am very curious!
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how accurate is this exactly? Idea
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very interesting, Kmt_sesh. Very Happy I must admit, I was very tempted to give it a go myself, but I checked out all the postage rates for the kit to be delivered to the UK, and - if I'm reading it right - they add an extra $30 on to the standard US postage! Seriously, it can't cost that much more to deliver to the UK?! Confused

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:
Quote:
According to the symbols found in my crashed spaceship, I'm from the lost city of Disney Land, which was the captial of Neptune.

Such a pity. What, can't someone from Neptune send you a rental?

Quote:
I'd be curious to know when my ancient ancestors ended up in Western Europe. Let us know what you find out.

A lot of my fellow docents have been surprised by their own results. Most of them do come from European ancestry, but what's surprised many of them is the routes their ancestors travelled before arriving in what's now Europe. It's interesting to see the ancient family lines travelling this way and that through North Africa, the Near East, Asia, and Russia even before coming to Europe.

ImageOfAten wrote:
Quote:
I would love to know but I would prefer to not give my DNA to any organization.

LOL What would be your concern about that? Are you afraid they might try to clone you? Go ahead and try, and if we start seeing something like ImageOfAten1, ImageOfAten2, and ImageOfAten3 popping up at ED in the years ahead, we'll know something nefarious has happened. Razz

cleopatra_selene wrote:
Quote:
how accurate is this exactly?

Accurate enough to tell you where your ancient ancestors travelled before arriving in South Asia. We're talking well more than 10,000 years ago, so it's not going to tell you about a great-great-great grandma who settled in Nepal, but it will tell you about the migration patterns of your great-great-great grandma's great-great-great-great-great (etc.) grandparents. Or something like that.

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
Quote:
...and - if I'm reading it right - they add an extra $30 on to the standard US postage!

That's only to your precise area of Yorkshire. Evidently someone from there called the director of the Genographic Project a "bleedin' wazak" and so your area has been punished. I feel as sick as a Cleethorpes donkey for you but nothing can be done. (Yes, I've been reviewing those clever "Yorkshire colloquialisms" again. Razz)

I took a look at the International rates for the project and you're right, there's an upcharge. That's odd because the project is world wide, but it's probably because all of the genetic analyses are taking place in labs in the States. I don't know that for certain but it's as good an explanation as any. One way around it is to pack up your belongings and move to the United States. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
That's only to your precise area of Yorkshire. Evidently someone from there called the director of the Genographic Project a "bleedin' wazak" and so your area has been punished. I feel as sick as a Cleethorpes donkey for you but nothing can be done. (Yes, I've been reviewing those clever "Yorkshire colloquialisms" again. Razz)

#Rofl #Rofl Oh my, you're insane! That's very funny...and possibly true. And what's more that all made complete sense, to me anyway...probably not to many others Laughing I bet you felt very strange writing that. Wink

kmt_sesh wrote:
I took a look at the International rates for the project and you're right, there's an upcharge. That's odd because the project is world wide, but it's probably because all of the genetic analyses are taking place in labs in the States. I don't know that for certain but it's as good an explanation as any. One way around it is to pack up your belongings and move to the United States. Very Happy

Why, do you know of any empty coffins or sarcophagi at the Field that I could sleep in on a night, or do you think it would be funny just to see me living on the streets? Laughing

I still may give that swab thing a go sometime in the future when I have some spare cash as it does sound very interesting. Let us know what you think to your results after you've done it, though. Cool

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Meritamon wrote:
Quote:
According to the symbols found in my crashed spaceship, I'm from the lost city of Disney Land, which was the captial of Neptune.

Such a pity. What, can't someone from Neptune send you a rental?

Quote:
I'd be curious to know when my ancient ancestors ended up in Western Europe. Let us know what you find out.

A lot of my fellow docents have been surprised by their own results. Most of them do come from European ancestry, but what's surprised many of them is the routes their ancestors travelled before arriving in what's now Europe. It's interesting to see the ancient family lines travelling this way and that through North Africa, the Near East, Asia, and Russia even before coming to Europe.

Neptune is too far away. I did order a rental, but it'll take years until it gets to Earth.

If I could afford to do this, I'd so like to know which route my ancestors took.
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL What would be your concern about that? Are you afraid they might try to clone you? Go ahead and try, and if we start seeing something like ImageOfAten1, ImageOfAten2, and ImageOfAten3 popping up at ED in the years ahead, we'll know something nefarious has happened.

That would just disturb the natural order of the planet...although I could find many uses for all of these clones! All joking aside my DNA is only mine as long as I live Laughing Plus $100 is out of my price range as always.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote
Quote:
And what's more that all made complete sense, to me anyway...probably not to many others Laughing I bet you felt very strange writing that. Wink

I always feel strange so I didn't much notice the difference. Having that colloquialism page helps, but I must confess the phrase "as sick as a Cleethorpes donkey" threw me. What the hell is a Cleethorpes donkey? Is that what you Yorkshire folks ride to work on? Razz

Quote:
Why, do you know of any empty coffins or sarcophagi at the Field that I could sleep in on a night, or do you think it would be funny just to see me living on the streets?

We have several empty coffins and sarcophagi, but I usually fill them up with misbehaving children. However, we take them (the kids) out regularly for mummification practice so I'm sure a coffin or two will be opening up soon.

I wouldn't want to see you on the streets. You'd probably hit me up for spare change every time I walk by you. Laughing

Meritamon wrote:
Quote:
If I could afford to do this, I'd so like to know which route my ancestors took.

ImageOFAten wrote:
Quote:
Plus $100 is out of my price range as always.

Come on, folks, this is for the sake of science! We all have to suffer for the enrichment of mankind. You'll be part of a worldwide project that's mapping countless people's genetics and the routes their ancestors took in ancient migrations. Now, I'll bet you ladies have a spare organ or two you could sell for some cash, right? Think

Clearly I'm just killing time here. I just sent off for the kit the other day, so I don't imagine it will arrive till sometime late next week at the earliest. And the testing itself takes upwards of eight weeks, so it's going to be awhile before I see the results.

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
What the hell is a Cleethorpes donkey? Is that what you Yorkshire folks ride to work on?

#Rofl It's a good job that this is in the 'General Section,' LOL. Yeah, all us Yorkshire folk go to work on donkey-back, although our work tends to only be down the street at the nearest farm. Razz Kidding! Cleethorpes is a seaside resort. I've been many times, but I don't believe I've ever been on any of their donkeys. Idea

kmt_sesh wrote:
We have several empty coffins and sarcophagi, but I usually fill them up with misbehaving children. However, we take them (the kids) out regularly for mummification practice so I'm sure a coffin or two will be opening up soon.

So, if I set up my new home in one of the sarcophagi you've got spare at the Field, I may end up being accidently mummified! Shocked That doesn't sound too good.

kmt_sesh wrote:
I wouldn't want to see you on the streets. You'd probably hit me up for spare change every time I walk by you.

Well, of course I would! Very Happy I'm sure you've got plenty to spare.

Alright, I'll shut up now before I take your thread too far off-topic. Wink

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, all us Yorkshire folk go to work on donkey-back, although our work tends to only be down the street at the nearest farm. Razz Kidding! Cleethorpes is a seaside resort. I've been many times, but I don't believe I've ever been on any of their donkeys.

So what's up with the donkey, then? Are they sick all the time? If they're resort donkeys maybe all they do is drink and eat rich foods and lounge by the pool--not a healthy lifestyle, I guess. So the next time you're at Cleethorpes you should ride one of them. They need the exercise!

Quote:
Alright, I'll shut up now before I take your thread too far off-topic. Wink

That's all right. This is General Discussion, after all, so a certain amount of aimless chitchat is to be expected. And there's the fact that we don't have much to talk about till I get the kit and learn more about the project.

Speaking of which, I got an e-mail telling me the order has been processed and the kit has been shipped. I should expect it in about seven to ten days. Or maybe it was years. I'm hoping it was days. In seven to ten years I'll forget why I even ordered this $107 kit. Shocked

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
So what's up with the donkey, then? Are they sick all the time? If they're resort donkeys maybe all they do is drink and eat rich foods and lounge by the pool--not a healthy lifestyle, I guess. So the next time you're at Cleethorpes you should ride one of them. They need the exercise!

I think that the phrase probably comes from the fact that they do look somewhat tired and worn out all the time, because people do constantly ride them up and down the beach non-stop, so I doubt that they really do need anymore exercise. I don't know for sure, though, it's not like I'm an expert; I don't know how these phrases come about, I just say them. Laughing

kmt_sesh wrote:
Speaking of which, I got an e-mail telling me the order has been processed and the kit has been shipped. I should expect it in about seven to ten days. Or maybe it was years. I'm hoping it was days. In seven to ten years I'll forget why I even ordered this $107 kit.

Hey, seven to ten days isn't bad. At least it isn't like ordering a book from Oxbow and having to wait around seven weeks or more! I can't wait to hear what you think to the test, though, but I guess it's going to be a couple of months before you get the results to it. The cheek scraping part sounds kind of brutal, though! Surprised I like the fact that you get a number so you can keep going back to the site to check if there's been any updates; sounds like fascinating stuff. Hmm, are you sure you don't want to pay for my kit too, Kmt_sesh, than I can give it a go? No?? You're such a spoilsport! Razz

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey, seven to ten days isn't bad. At least it isn't like ordering a book from Oxbow and having to wait around seven weeks or more!

LOL I'd forgotten all about that little book on Egyptian faience that I had ordered. Man, that thing took forever to arrive! I thought by the time it came I'd be an old man drooling in my rocking chair at the old folks' home. I can't help the drooling part but at least it came before the old-folk's-home part.

Seven to ten days isn't bad, you're right. I'm having it shipped to my work address to be sure I receive it all right. I've had some bad experiences with stuff being shipped to my apartment, and I don't want to take the chance on something on which I paid over $100!

Quote:
The cheek scraping part sounds kind of brutal, though!

It's worse than it sounds. All you do is use a soldering iron to gather some cells. No, wait, that's not right. Razz It's just a scraper to collect some epithelial cells from the inner surface of the cheek, so no pain is involved.

Quote:
I like the fact that you get a number so you can keep going back to the site to check if there's been any updates...

From what my fellow docents have told me, once you're into the system you become part of a database and can make your results public, if you're interested. Most people do, I guess. That way you can communicate and chat with people via e-mail whose test results are similar, or something like that. My fellow docents involved in the project have met quite a few people around the world this way. Sounds fun.

Quote:
Hmm, are you sure you don't want to pay for my kit too, Kmt_sesh, than I can give it a go? No??

Hey, what do you think--I'm made of money? I can print out only so much of it a day here in my apartment (please don't notify the Secret Service Razz ). Why don't you just grab one of those plastic picnic knives, scrape some cells, drop them in a sandwich bag, and mail them to National Geographic? That would work, wouldn't it?

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whopee! My DNA kit arrived in the mail yesterday (Thursday)! I scraped my cheeks raw and mailed in the sample this morning. Now I'll have to wait for around eight weeks for the results.

The kit they sent was full of information, including a DVD about the project and other things of a genetic nature. All of this DNA stuff is quite complex so I have some studying to do, and the website also has a lot of information. The kit contains a secure code just for me so that once the results arrive, I can log onto the site with that code to download the map showing the routes my ancient family took when migrating out of Africa. The results reflect ancestry more than 30,000 years old.

I'm hoping the next eight weeks fly by! Pray

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: