Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Geographic DNA Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow! this whole testing thing sounds so amazing! back to 30,000 years! thats amazing! now i tempted to try this thing out!

Now wouldnt it be amazing if any of us were linked to ancient egypt? actually i might not even be suprised..theres this whole physcology thing to do with how we behave is linked to our ancestors and so on..so the craze towards egypt could be more than what meets the eye..
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleopatra_selene wrote:
Now wouldnt it be amazing if any of us were linked to ancient egypt?

I don't think that Kmt_sesh's testing would tell him of anything that recent, though. Idea The ancient Egyptian civilisation (dynastic times) only came together over three thousand years ago.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now wouldnt it be amazing if any of us were linked to ancient egypt?

You know, that's the first thing that popped into my head when I read this thread. Very Happy

How far back does this DNA thing go? The AEs have been around for a very long time so surely this may be mentioned in any results? I do remember reading somewhere about a black woman who did this NG test and discovered that her ancestors came from Nubia, during a time when the AEs were trading with the Nubians (or fighting?) so maybe it's possible...
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
How far back does this DNA thing go? The AEs have been around for a very long time so surely this may be mentioned in any results?

I might be wrong about the test not tracing that timeline. I did read Kmt_sesh's link when he first posted it, but I can't recall what the dates were that it covers. I think that the test would say if your ancestors ever passed through the Egypt area, but I don't know that it would necessarily be during the dynastic times.
I'm not sure, though. Idea

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
don't think that Kmt_sesh's testing would tell him of anything that recent, though.

Oh, sure, Daughter_Of_SETI, burst my bubble! I was hoping my ancestors' route would end in Memphis so I'd have further evidence that I'm descended from Egyptian royalty. Well, all right, that's yet more bull-flop from the mouth of kmt_sesh. Razz

Actually the ancient Egyptian dynastic period began around 5,100 years ago, but the National Geographic testing provides results that reflect a timespan no more recent than 30,000 years ago (and possibly considerably farther back than that).

A lot of the results I've seen from museum friends who've done this, do in fact show routes going north up through what would eventually be dynastic Egypt, but these people were migrating long before the first Egyptian king ever tied on his gold-encrusted kilt (similar to the one I'm wearing right now). In fact, this is way before even the earliest of the Naqada stages, so any link to dynastic Egypt would not be seen here.

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Actually the ancient Egyptian dynastic period began around 5,100 years ago...

Oh, gees! Thanks a lot, Kmt_sesh, for pointing out my terrible math skills! Laughing I was under the illusion that it may have gone unnoticed! Wink

I so need an Edit Button!! Twisted Evil

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Don't worry about it, Daughter_Of_SETI. And what would we do if everyone had an Edit button? All the typos we make are such a rich and fertile source of mirth.

Besides, I know what you were thinking and it was an innocent mistake. Your figure of three thousand years ago wasn't when the Egyptian dynastic period began but was about the last time I had a date.

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update about my genetic testing. Of course the results aren't in yet but I used my code to log in to the National Geographic's site just to see how the process is coming along. To date my kit has been received, the batch has been created from my sample, and my DNA has been isolated. Here's how that process works (from the web page):

Quote:
The cells are broken open by incubation with a protein-cutting enzyme overnight. Chemicals and the samples are transferred into deep well blocks for robotic DNA isolation. The blocks of chemicals and samples are placed on the extraction robot. The robotic DNA isolation uses silica-coated iron beads. In the presence of the appropriate chemicals DNA will bind to silica. The robot then uses magnetic probes to collect the beads (and DNA) and transfer them through several chemical washes and finally into a storage buffer, which allows the beads to release the DNA. At this point the beads are collected and discarded.

And if you understand all of this, you're way ahead of me. tard But no wonder it's so expensive--they're using robots! I hope I get to keep the robots when they're done fussing with my genes.

It's been only a couple of weeks so I'll probably have around six more weeks to wait for my results. I'm still excited to see them.

Visit my blog!
Shebah
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new here. I have been intrigued by this DNA thing by NG. I am adopted. I have found out that it is highly unlikely i will ever find out any background information. So when I saw this DNA thing, I got excited.

I am a member on another forum. This subject was discussed. My mind is everywhere these days (finals), so all this scientific talk is just going over my head.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=004957

Anyway, I thought I would post the link here, and see what you guys have to say about it. I really would like to learn more about this. Although I will know know about my background, this gives me hope to find out what kind of blood I have in me. I don't really care. As I am not prejudiced or biased towards any in the least. But everyone simply wants to have an idea of where they came from.

People in my situation can be totally ok with themselves. But when people ask are you Italian, Scottish, etc. Well......you just sort of feel lost. At least for a moment. So I was hoping this test could help me find some roots too.

TIA Smile
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Shebah. Smile

As I mentioned ealier in this thread I'm also adopted, and as with you it's unlikely I'll ever learn much about my biological parents. I know only a few scant details. That was forty years ago, and the adoption was done through a Christian agency, which have always been some of the most secretive with adoptions, so I'd have to do a lot of hard work to find my birth family.

To be honest I'm not much interested in searching. My adopted family is my family, as far as I'm concerned. Of course I never knew my birth parents so I can't really feel any connection with them. I've known my entire life about my adoption and it's never been an issue with me.

That being said, I'm still curious to see the results of my genetic testing. It's just for my own edification. I must stress that these tests National Geographic are conducting will not tell anyone about their recent ancestry, so that's not the reason to pay for the analysis. It will trace the roots of your ancient ancestors, between 30,000 and 100,000 years ago. I'm just curious to see what I can learn. And it would certainly be interesting for my mom or dad or sister to do the test so I could compare their results with mine, but I haven't asked them to give it a try. Not yet, anyway.

As for the rest of your post, I checked out your link and gave it a read. Normally we frown on sharing posts from competitor forums, which EgyptSearch definitely is, but the information written by Wally is germane to the discussion so this time it's fine by me.

I have to stress that I know very little about genetics, so I don't understand everything Wally wrote. I do have to agree that genetic testing is not so sophisticated that it will identify the exact tribe from which a person's ancestors came, but it can and does pin down specific regions.

This has been done for many blacks in the United States whose ancestors came over as slaves, and whose ancestry was then much mixed and filtered after that. We all like to know our roots, and it's very difficult for many black people in the United States to know theirs, but genetic testing has been a great help to them. Unfortunately many people can't afford genetic testing so it's not a tool available to everyone.

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cussing ARGHHH! cussing

I just checked into the progress of my analysis, only to learn that the first test produced no results. They're going to dig into the vial again, and if that fails, they'll use the second vial. If that fails, I guess it means I have no DNA and am not from this planet.

I have to wait an additional ten days to see if they come up with something.

How frustrating! angryfire

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
If that fails, I guess it means I have no DNA and am not from this planet.

Didn't we already know that?! Razz

Joking aside, though, it must be very frustrating if they don't come up with anything. Mad What happens if they don't find anything?? Idea

kennethhirst
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy since you are not as you say possibly from this planet of ours can you be so good as to inform us all at e.d. who realy did biuld the pyramids Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
Quote:
Didn't we already know that?!

I wasn't sure everyone did, but I wanted to be sure. Very Happy

Quote:
Joking aside, though, it must be very frustrating if they don't come up with anything. Mad What happens if they don't find anything?? Idea

They either send me a new kit for some fresh samples or put me on their special web page for freaks. geek

Good grief, I swabbed each cheek for at least thirty seconds! How could there not be a viable sample? They'd better come up with something but it'll take another ten days or so for me to learn.

Wait, I hope I didn't goof up and accidentally swab Tutty Bear's cheeks. Might that explain it?

kennethhirst wrote:
Quote:
Very Happy since you are not as you say possibly from this planet of ours can you be so good as to inform us all at e.d. who realy did biuld the pyramids

All right, you got me. My own "people" did. We come from the fourth moon of a gas giant in a distant galaxy. We're a small but resourceful and fuzzy race, and we taught the Egyptians how to build pyramids.

Visit my blog!
quietly
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how doess it work!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: