Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ONLY EGYPTIANS TO HAVE ACCESS TO MUMMIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question. I think Hawass gives precedence to Egyptian-born scholars and he definitely comes across as rather xenophobic. But when you're a big name like Ikram your reputation carries a lot of weight, and it can't hurt that she's from the general region. Most importantly she's extremely good at what she does, which has won her the reputation she enjoys.

I think it also helps if you work directly for the SCA, whatever your place of origin. This is true for Otto Schaden, who now lives here in the Chicago area but whose project with KV63 has become a mission of the SCA.

Visit my blog!
chillie
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the best scholarship, you need the best minds no matter where they come from, and we all know that people from diverse locations can bring diverse ways of thinking to the table.
However, I completely agree with the principle behind this: at all times, the Egyptian government should oversee everything, including accompanying mummies to other countries IF there is no suitable laboratory in country. I doubt France would hold onto the body of Henry 8 of England in the same way, and no one would complain or think it odd for the British government to control archeological activities on British soil or with British artifacts in the same way.
As for Xenophobia, well, the west has not exactly proven itself to have the best interests of Egypt or any other "third world" place at heart and has 99.9999% times been quite predatory to foreign, non European nations. Perhaps we in the west need to accept that our reputation in recently occupied parts of the world is one of theft, lies, false treaties, and the *** of resources of foreign lands. In fact, it could be argued that we still behave this way (have you seen what Shell did in Nigeria? Bush's illegal regime change in Iraq? the fact that OPEC even needed to be created was because the western companies were actually TELLING the saudis how much they would sell their own oil for, and the oil companies took in killer profits while bamboozeling the saudis)
I think that this might be a possible motive for Egypt's position, and who are we to tell that nation how to behave with its own treasures? Perhaps western scholars will have to defer to Egyptian authority for a while. I hope, and I have faith, that research and growth will still be possible, though we may have to change our way of thinking-and our feelings of entitlement.

I guess I'm the Devil's Advocate?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion died out a long time ago, but if anyone wishes to resurrect it, please let's keep it to the science and scientists involved, and refrain from acrimonious political dialogue. Wink

Visit my blog!
EgyptQuest
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Only a portion of egyptians mummified.. NON Egyptians mummif Reply with quote

I used to think all Egyptians were mummified, but now it appears that only the rich
and royals were mummified most of the time. Even some of them were not.

I have read of massive graves, ranging from the north to the south of Egypt, where
people were just wrapped in cloth and put in wooden boxes.
Being wrapped in cloth and buried was also done in Europe.

#1 Do you have any examples of grave yards through out Egypt, where the majority
were never mummified?

#2 I also remember something about the Romans in Egypt being mummified. Got
any details on this ?

Thanks
Anpu
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to burial, there were generally 3 types;
- pyramids
- mastaba tombs
- pit graves

Only about 20% (the very elite) of society were buried in pyramids or mastaba tombs and everyone else was buried in pit graves.

However, due to the dry hot climate of Egypt, those buried in pit graves were often subjected to a process called 'natural mummification' whereby the water from their body was naturally dried out (Natron was used in intentional mummification for this).
So while only a small chunk of society were subject to intentional mummification, many bodies were the result of natural mummification.

I believe there is some evidence for a couple mass graves (well, tombs functioning as mass graves) during times of suspected plague and also an example of one for soldiers. However you have to remember that proper burials were extremely important to ancient Egyptians, so it is speculated that this would only have been a last resort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: