Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Translating Hieroglyphics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellie-asthenia wrote:
so I take it the hard part is remembering how to write the egyptian version of a word e.g remembering 'above' is 'hry'. that's the bit I'm gonna struggle with

Yeah, that indeed will be the difficult part, but you're not alone; it's difficult for everyone. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it with a bit of practice. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
ellie-asthenia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay! I did my first translation.
It was one of those quiz things with a bunch of glyphs that you have to translate to English, and I got one right. it was "the moon strikes the cat". But I got the others wrong Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent!! Applause The more you practice, and the more often you get translations correct, the more encouraged you'll feel to carry on learning hieroglyphs. I haven't done much studying of hieroglyphs myself, but every time I come across an odd word or sentence that I can understand I always feel so proud. Seriously, keep with it, ellie-asthenia, even if you only practice ten to fifteen minutes a day you'll soon pick up the basics. Wink
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, crap!! The last post was mine. Sorry, I forgot to log in. Rolling Eyes

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_of_SETI wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if the last glyph [in the hry example] is spelling out the word further or is a determinative (picture used at the end of a word to further explain its meaning), but Kmt_sesh probably has a much better idea.

Here's the hieroglyphic arrangement again for "above," just to refresh everyone's memory:

You won't usually see this word spelled so elaborately; it's pretty fancy for a humble preposition. Daughter_Of_SETI got everything right in her breakdown of the word, and I can add that the very last glyph in this case is indeed a determinative. It's the ideogram for "sky" and so helps to define words relating to that concept (including "above").

But probably in the majority of instances where I've seen the hieroglyphs for "above," the only glyph used is that sky glyph. I can't recall the last time I even saw the hr, r, and y glyphs. The sky glyph as hry is also a common component of ancient Egyptian names.

Now, the word for "sky" is pt and it happens to use the same glyph, but with "sky" you do often see the p and t phonetic complements:

This is intentional, so as to avoid confusion with the hry term.

I'm explaining all of this because it's a great example of how one glyph can be used in different ways, and how the Egyptians may have used extra glyphs (the pesky phonetic complements) to help clarify which instance of the word was being used.

It's all a matter of memorization and recognizing how a certain glyph fits within the context of any given phrase or sentence. And with that I hope I haven't confused everyone all the more.

I will say, Daughter_Of_SETI, that I think you have a better grasp of hieroglyphs than you realize. You're seeing subtleties that other people might miss. I hope you're able to expand your studies of hieroglyphs because I think you might have a knack for it. pharaohthumb

Quote:
Oh, crap!! The last post was mine. Sorry, I forgot to log in

Aw, damn, now I have to remember another name for you! Daughter_Of_SETI, Seshat, Ms. Ramessu, Guest...when will it end? Laughing

ellie-asthenia wrote:
Quote:
I hope I'm making sense and not annoying people with all my questions, you see I'm trying to really start learning, because I'm young...

You're definitely not annoying anyone, so please don't worry about that. And I'm glad you registered and selected an "official" name for yourself! pharaohok

Quote:
yay! I did my first translation.

Way to go, ellie-asthenia! It's pretty exciting, isn't it? Don't worry about missing some translations...just keep at it! Pretty soon you'll be reading a book with lots of photos of monuments and stelae and such, and you'll find yourself pausing to try to translate the inscriptions you see. I know that's what I do. Slows down the reading but it's always good practice.

Visit my blog!
ellie-asthenia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
I'm getting a little better. I got about four in a row right a second ago.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I will say, Daughter_Of_SETI, that I think you have a better grasp of hieroglyphs than you realize. You're seeing subtleties that other people might miss. I hope you're able to expand your studies of hieroglyphs because I think you might have a knack for it.

Flattery will get you everywhere! Razz I don't know what I said that was so impressive to you, but thanks all the same. Anyway, I was likely just reiterating things that you've explained to me a billion times before. Very Happy I really wish I did have the spare time to study hieroglyphs, but my time will come...eventually. Wink

kmt_sesh wrote:
Aw, damn, now I have to remember another name for you! Daughter_Of_SETI, Seshat, Ms. Ramessu, Guest...when will it end?

Hey, I'm thinking of just going with 'Guest' from now on, it makes me sound all mysterious. I'm sure there'll be more aliases of mine to remember before long. What? I'm just trying to improve your memory!! Not that it needs improving, of course.

ellie-asthenia wrote:
I'm getting a little better. I got about four in a row right a second ago.

That's very exciting. Cool Which link is it that you're working on, is it one from this thread?

ellie-asthenia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah hieroglyphics.net
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, that's a great one for learing how they arranged their glyphs into sentences. Very Happy Did you have a go at this one (their daily quiz):

I actually came up with a translation myself, that was oh, so close to the answer (but not quite right Mad ), but I won't give it away incase you wanted a go. Smile

ellie-asthenia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it something like "you praise the sun to the crocidile" ?

I bet I'm wrong Confused
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellie-asthenia wrote:

That's exactly right. Very Happy I translated it as: "You praise the sun for the crocodile," so I was slightly out. Laughing I'm not sure what the difference would've been in how it was written, though. Idea

ellie-asthenia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah I got it right??
didn't expect that Laughing
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, I was likely just reiterating things that you've explained to me a billion times before.

Oh, you're just being modest. But a billion times? I know I go on and on that much, but after the fifth time of my repeating something everyone falls asleep, so I know you're only exaggerating. Razz

Quote:
Hey, I'm thinking of just going with 'Guest' from now on, it makes me sound all mysterious.

Oh, great. So now you're "Guest." That makes me think of the typical house guest, which means from now on you'll be camped out in my recliner, eating my food, drinking my Corona, watching my DVDs, and refusing to leave.

Please don't get orange Cheetos dust on my books! #Beer

Quote:
Ahh, that's a great one for learing how they arranged their glyphs into sentences. Very Happy Did you have a go at this one
(their daily quiz):

Well, you both did better than I did at this one. The way I translated it, this inscription came out as:

While pecking at a reed leaf the little quail chick farted, which ignited the wick that subsequently caused the jar full of oil next to it to explode, thereby firing the door bolt into the kneecap of a poor fellow who was biting his fingernails; he bonked his head on the basket behind him and screamed out the name of Re in vain, which angered the great god to the point of roiling the waters from which an owl was drinking. This caused the owl to retch and its tailfeathers knocked loose another doorbolt, and behind this door was a crocodile chewing on another wick. The crocodile then escaped and ate everything in the way, including the great god Re, which caused all of the cosmos to implode and disappear, and that really sucked.

Are you guys sure this isn't the right translation? Man, I thought I was close. Laughing

And with everything I've written here, it's quite clear I'm in one of my bizarre moods. Please forgive me. tard

ellie-asthenia wrote:
Quote:

All joking aside, ellie-asthenia, good job. Wink

The little quizzes on Hieroglyphs.net are good practice and can be fun, so keep on doing them! The more you study, the better you'll get--that's a guarantee.

And remember, we're always here to help you.

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
That makes me think of the typical house guest, which means from now on you'll be camped out in my recliner, eating my food, drinking my Corona, watching my DVDs, and refusing to leave.

You have a recliner?Cool, I'm definitely there! So, I get to eat your food, drink your Corona, and watch your DVDs? (Better get ordering plenty of episodes of Supernatural ready for me then, from Netflix!) You're right about one thing; I'd never leave! And if you tried to get rid of me, I'd take Tutty hostage! Surprised

kmt_sesh wrote:
Are you guys sure this isn't the right translation? Man, I thought I was close.

And with everything I've written here, it's quite clear I'm in one of my bizarre moods. Please forgive me.

#Rofl What's new! I thought you were permanently in a bizarre mood. Razz That was one excellent translation, though. Laughing

Tutenstein
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I have just learned how to download flashes from webpages and downloaded one of the monthly lessons Very Happy I know it's not good to steal them but I think it is not something bad unless I share it Very Happy

BTW I can share it if you want Laughing *dunno what mods will say*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: