Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mummy of hatshepsut
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRyan
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Mummy clarifications Reply with quote

I see that there is some confusion with the mummies. In summary:

There were two mummies from KV 60 when Carter first encountered the tomb in 1903.
One was in a coffin which bore the name of "In", royal nurse. This "In" was later identified as "Sitre, called In" who is known as the royal nurse of Hatshepsut. This mummy in its coffin was taken to Cairo around 1906.

The second mummy, which was rather obese, was left on the floor of the tomb until I rediscovered it in 1989. We kept it in the tomb in a special wooden box and it was removed to Cairo for study by the SCA last year.

Thus, both mummies from KV 60 are in Cairo. In an article last year in KMT Magazine (Vo. 17, no.2, Summer 2006), Zahi suggested that the mummy in the nurse's coffin could perhaps be Hatshepsut herself. It really is quite an extraordinary mummy and it is much too small for the coffin in which it was found.

Add the next item to the equation: in 1881, when the famous Deir el-Bahri royal mummy cache was being cleared out, a canopic box bearing Hatshepsut's cartouche was found containing solidified entrails, assumably hers. During Zahi's recent studies of the mummies from KV 60, along with a couple of females from the royal cache, he had the box radiologically examined. The big surprise was the discovery of a tooth within the box which matched the obese mummy from the floor of KV 60. It's to Zahi's credit that he made the effort to examine the box.

Why would a tooth be found in the mix of a canopic box? Perhaps it fell out or broke off during the embalming process and was thrown in with the entrails. Embalming caches have been found here and there that have bags of natron, linen, etc. used during mummification, gathered together and stored in jars so that nothing of the mummy....even soiled rags from its preparation...would be left behind. We found some of this material in big white jars when we cleared KV 21. And there seems to be alot of that sort of thing in KV 63 too.

I think the tooth connection is pretty compelling evidence and DNA studies might very well support the identification.

This exciting story will continue.

Donald P. Ryan
Division of Humanities
Pacific Lutheran University
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note that the earliest wire reports yesterday mentioned 'bad teeth & bone cancer' as the cause of death. By last night, this had changed to 'diabetes and liver cancer'. But if the mummy really did have bad teeth, it's no surprise that one might have broken off during the mummification process to be stored with the canopics.

kat newkirk
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I'm not sure if this has already been said or if all of you know about it by now, but Sunday, July 15, is when the Discovery Channel will be airing its special on Hatshepsut, including supposedly the latest research and findings.

I believe, us Brits have to wait an extra couple of days to see it than you guys, as it's not being shown until the 17th July here. Sad At least we're getting it, though. Cool

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in from the Cairo paper:
"Two additional unidentified New Kingdom mummies originally
> found in the cache of 1881 at Deir Al-Bahari [were also examined].
> The first, designated as "Unknown Woman B", was of an older woman,
> bald in front and with the remains of white curly hair and fake black
> locks attached. "At first glance it seemed not to be royal but CT-scans
> revealed that the arms were originally crossed over the chest, a sign
> of royal mummification," says Ashraf Selim, professor of radiology
> at Cairo University. Scans also revealed the second mummy, "Unknown
> Woman A", had been mummified in an unusual position. The head is
> bent to one side, the legs crossed below the knees and her mouth is
> wide open, suggesting she suffered some kind of trauma at the time of
> her death. Her left leg is broken in the front and her arms have been cut
> off, possibly by thieves. " (...)
> "The result of the scans shows that Thutmose II was suffering from
> heart disease which led to his early death. (..). The scans show that the
> mummy [of 'Thutmosis I'] belongs to a young man who was not placed
> in the royal pose of mummification, and had the remains of an arrow
> embedded in his chest, implying that he had been killed, whereas
> Thutmose I died of natural causes. The mummy is that of a man who
> died at the age of 40, making it impossible for him to be Hatshepsut's
> father. "
>
> And clarity about the cause of death of the obese lady of KV60 --
> not liver cancer but indeed bone cancer as most early reports had:
> "a 2cm wide tumor in her left leg"
>
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that with us, Osiris II. Smile

Very interesting, what CT scans and other modern medical technology will reveal. If the results are right about "Tuthmosis I," it looks like his identification has been wrong from the beginning. And one must wonder about the identity of Unknown Woman B, if she was indeed a royal.

The poor obese mummy in KV60...looks like she had cancer every which way. Confused Do you have a link to the Cairo paper article, Osiris II?

Visit my blog!
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Osiris II's post was copied word-for-word from a post by another person on the EEF mailing list this morning! Without the courtesy of crediting the source, I might add! :evil:

kat newkirk
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was pretty obvious just from the format of his post, but it is a good reminder.

Remember to give credit where credit is due, people! Wink

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no souce given in El Ahram. If it was taken from EEF, it was re-printed without any credit to EEF.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote was from a message from EEF. In the original EEF message (by kat) there's a link to the actual article in el Ahram.

It's a long piece and quite interesting: http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2007/851/eg11.htm

The images that go with the Ahram article are nice as well.

Some points of interest:

Quote:
The mummies thought to be those of Hatshepsut's father and her grandmother, Thutmose I and Ahmose- Nefertari, were also scanned.

The link to Ahmose Nefertari would be interesting. Hatshepsut was the daughter of Tuthmosis I and Ahmose. Tuthmosis I was the son of Seniseneb and the identity of his father is not known.
Queen Ahmose is not as securely placed in the family tree as we would like. She's never named King's Daughter and her title as King's Sister could make her a sister of Tuthmosis I or maybe a sister of Amenhotep I. If she's a sister of Tuthmosis I then she may not be a descendant of Ahmose Nefertari either.

On the other hand Woodward claimed there was a (genetic) connection between Amenhotep I and Tuthmosis I.

Apparently Queen Ahmose Merytamun a wife of Amenhotep I had the title King's Mother. But who she was the mother of I don't know.

I have to admit I'm completely confused by all the seemingly contradictory information Smile

This piece is also interesting:
Quote:
Hawass said that CT-scans indicate that the mummy which was once believed to be that of King Thutmose I, Hatshepsut's father, is not actually his. The scans show that the mummy belongs to a young man who was not placed in the royal pose of mummification, and had the remains of an arrow embedded in his chest, implying that he had been killed, whereas Thutmose I died of natural causes. The mummy is that of a man who died at the age of 40, making it impossible for him to be Hatshepsut's father.

I had heard before that this person was supposed to be only 20 years old? And the arrow wound is news to me as well.
I thought that some had speculated that this individual was Prince Ahmose-Sipair and that some had conjectured that he may be the father of Tuthmosis I.

There is also supposedly a son of Tuthmosis who went by the name of Amenemhat (I'm going from memory here, so I hope I get the name right). His name was even enclosed in a cartouche but he must have died. ... arrow wound maybe???
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link, anneke. I'd recommend that everyone read the article. It's interesting and informative.

LOL The bit with the tooth is like a detective story. Rather nifty how the obese woman from KV60, of the four female mummies investigated, just happens to have a hole in her jaw that matches the missing tooth found in the box. That is indeed exciting evidence that this woman was Hatshepsut. I know I'm feeling pretty confident about the identification.

So the putative Hatshepsut will join her royal kin in the Cairo museum. I'll bet this will create something of a sensation and will attract large crowds. It's surprising that someone who suffered from diabetes (which I also have) and probably cancer lived 3,400 years ago to the age of 50.

It's gratifying to see the modern technologies Egypt is applying to its mummies, and the new DNA lab is bound to lead to many important answers. I'd also never heard of the arrow in wound in the mummy that had been thought to be Tuthmosis I. In any case his likely age at death strips him of that title, so one wonders where the real Tuthmosis I now lies?

Quote:
There is also supposedly a son of Tuthmosis who went by the name of Amenemhat (I'm going from memory here, so I hope I get the name right).

I checked Dodson's The Complete Royal Families, and is this the son named Amenmose? Evidently he was born of Ahmes B. Dodson explaines (page 130) that Amenmose is depicted with his brother Wadjmose in the tomb of the royal tutor, Paheri, at El-Kab.

Visit my blog!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a disgrace that the woman who was defacto king of Egypt was left lying on the floor of someone else's tomb. Mad

Cool Cheers to Dr. Ryan for rescuing her from the floor.
Bonfire
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Mummy of Hatshepsut Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Ryan:

Wonderful post -- I was hoping to see something from you out there on the net regarding this announcement.

The last time I saw you was 2 days after 9-11, when Geoffrey Martin did a talk (with great slides) at the Burke Museum in Seattle.

Then I also met Quirke at the Burke. He invited me to visit the Petrie Museum in London. I visited London less than a year later, and visited the Petrie on a Monday. They were closed! but I told my story to the nice gentleman doorkeeper, that I had come all the way from Seattle and that Prof. Quirke had said that I might stop in, and -- as if by magic, I was allowed in, all by myself. I was completely agog and dizzy with all the wondrous things there, let me tell you. Quirke was there also at the same time as I was there and while I didn't want to take up too much of his time, I did speak to him for a couple of minutes out in the display case area. He was probably wondering who let this woman in on a Monday. Very Happy

That was on the same trip where I got to visit the Egyptology vaults in the basement of the British Museum (also by myself). So I felt that trip was a very, very magical and lucky one.

You know, the first time I saw the face of the mummy in KV60 (in the KMT article), I knew it was her and it was only a matter of time until it was confirmed. But imagine someone of her rank, lying in tatters, all alone and uncoffined for so many years, in such an undignified situation. Very "sic transit gloria mundi". But I especially like the way her eyebrow bones match the eyebrows in the one statue of her with the delicate, pretty facial features.

I hope that they will make some photographs of her skull, especially in profile, to compare to the other Thutmosids in the mummy collection. I have wanted to see that for a very long time.

Zahi Hawass has shown us the whole Tooth. Smile

Hope to see and hear lots more from you in the future.

B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: