Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning to paint
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Learning to paint Reply with quote

I started to experiment with painting during the winter. I absolutely love doing it, but by necessity I had to adopt an "impressionistic style".

I read some books about art, and painted from photographs. I know I'll get much beter through practice, but how would you pick an art teacher? Have any of you taken classes? If so, how did you pick the instructor?

I have done one painting in oil, and the others in acrylics.
Do any of you paint, and if so, what medium do you use?
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Learning to paint Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I absolutely love doing it, but by necessity I had to adopt an "impressionistic style".

I hadn't heard that one yet Smile
Can't help u there, I love to draw, but the furthest I got with paint so far was using fingerpaint in kindergarten. All I remember was that it tasted good.
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am like you on that Anneke.. I like to surf the net sometimes and print up photos that i look at and sketch though it takes on my own personal flair and i might change the background or something.. its like self teaching myself .. thats right, dont judge my grammer. I will repeat what I draw many times till i find I have mastered it and move on.. of course not just one at a time. I never took art school .. or anything like it ( I didnt want to go into art class in my highschool).. so.. but I think you should perhaps look at what they plan on teaching.. or ask the teacher whos paintings he likes.. look it up at home and see if that follows somewhat similarly to what your style is.. because if you paint.. lets say in a romanishy thingy kind of way ( they are EVERYWHERE here.. scary things!) and he prefers a more.. gothic art.. you might end up with a very .. odd.. looking paintings. I am done rambling.
Serena
P.S. I dont remember the taste of paint.. but Playdough tasted like salt.. mmmm
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't...
mention...
Playdough...

almost suffocated in that. Evil or Very Mad
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't...
mention...
Playdough...

almost suffocated in that.

Someone has issues Laughing
I used to eat it apparently - bluggh

Would so love to be able to paint, I'm really envious of anyone who can - landscapes are my favs.
Since I can't really even make a sheep look recognizable Confused - I buy it/art instead. Nothing expensive, just if something catches my eye.
Rip Li
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: art Reply with quote

Draw and paint the way YOU feel like. I wouldn't recommend trying to be like established artists. I am an artist and the reason I never went anywhere with it is because I copied others. Only stuff I ever enjoy painting or drawing is cartoons and stuff I make up. Truly.

:flower:
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: art Reply with quote

Rip Li wrote:
Draw and paint the way YOU feel like. I wouldn't recommend trying to be like established artists. I am an artist and the reason I never went anywhere with it is because I copied others. Only stuff I ever enjoy painting or drawing is cartoons and stuff I make up. Truly.

Thanks. That sounds like good advice. Very Happy
I'm really just painting for fun anyway. When I have time, I'll post some photographs I took of the paintings.
I need to post 'em on my website first, and then refer to them, because that's the only way I know how to get the pics up.

LOL, just one more thing on my "to-do-list" Wink
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic but since I'm new here and I started reading all the other topics I've missed, I ran into this one and thought I could help since drawing is one of my passion soon to be my career. I'm still taking drawing lesson and I know it's not the same as painting, (although I've always wanted to paint) but I think some the advice could be usefull. My drawing teacher thought me a lot about combining colours, proportions, things essential but he never tried to make me draw in a certain style. It's important not to be influenced in your style because it represents you and it's something that no teacher can teach you. But still i found my drawing lessons usefull because I learned some tips that I would'nt have discoverd on my own. I myself, like you, draw things that inspire me, that make me feel in a certain way.
What do you like to paint more? Portraits, landscapes?
If you like landscapes I would recomend that you go out and paint it. Painting after a photo will influence you, and without knowing you will end up painting in the same style. I did this mistake and I didn't even realised it. My teacher was the one that opened my eyes. It takes a lot of exercise and at first you will be sometimes dissapointed but you will see that after a while you will create your own style without being influenced.
Good luck!
Oh and do you have some photos of your paintings, that's only if you would like to share it.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been really busy, and haven't had time to paint for quite a while.
I should just sit down and do it.

I might try to go out and just paint something.
I do have some digital images somewhere. I will see if I can link to them, but it will have to wait until tomorrow Very Happy

I like lanscapes, and abstract art. It can be fun to just experiment with color.

How about you Sinzi, have anything you can (or want to) post?
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly like portraits. You should try to paint... iF you like it it becomes so relaxing...and it feels so good after you finished one and you are pleased with it. I do have some digital photos around here as well but i'll just have to find them.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are 2 examples. Just having fun.... Very Happy
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that you haven't painted before? They are good. Where did you inspired from? The first one I like most. It makes me think of Monet. Really, they are great. You should do it more often.

Oh how do I put an image here?[/img]
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not painted before. I did use pictures I took.
The first painting is after a picture I took in Cambridge England. I was there for a conference, and I loved that bridge. It's a copy of the "bridge of sighs" in Venice I believe. I walked by it several times on the way to downtown Cambridge.
If you rent a boat and go punting you actually can go underneath this bridge Very Happy A group of us went punting. That's loads of fun. One person basically uses a long pole to push the boat through the water.
When we were there, another group of people had an unfortunate punter who kept falling in the water.
We did lose the pole at one point. Right before a pub where a bunch of people were sitting outside. One of the other boats got it back for us.

The other painting is after a picture I took where my sister lives. It was a cold January day, and kind of twilight time (hence the colors).

I really should do more painting. You're right, it is relaxing.

Thanks for the compliment by the way. Much appreciated Very Happy
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like fun. I've seen in movie people having fun and I always wanted to do this but I never had the chance. Something always came up. It easier at first to pain or draw after some piztures. I liked to turn famous paintings into drawings. It was a good exercise for me or if I saw a picture in a magasine or the photo of a person I liked I always ended up drawing it. Now my teacher makes me use real models. It was hard at first but it's going better now. Although drawing after pictures or photos really helped me.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are terrific paintings, anneke. So you're both mathematically and artistically gifted? My mom has been painting all her life and is very skilled, mostly in oils but she does experiment with water colors. She's 72 now and has suffered some health problems, but if anything her painting zeal has increased. She takes courses from a very talented artist who teaches at a local community college.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: