Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning to paint
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are incredible, sinzi. There's real feeling in them. I enjoy viewing charcoal and other black-and-white mediums, including photography--it's much under-rated in this day and age of blazing digital color. The right kind of artwork done in grayscale can be more powerful than splashy color. I think you've captured it.

Anneke, I'm surprised you've had no formal training. You should search out a class or two to see what a trained artist can do to help you develop your skills even further, because you have real talent. One of the things my mom has been required to do in her current classes is photograph something and paint it. We gave her and Dad a digital camera for Christmas and I took her out to show her how to use it. My folks are retired and live in Arkansas. I don't know if you've ever been there, but as economically poor as that state is, it is gorgeous. I love the woods and mountains there, so there's lots of inspiration for my mom to paint. We visited Bath House Row in Hot Springs National Park (they live about fifteen minutes from there) so we could shoot some of the beautiful old bathhouses for her to paint.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have enjoyed painting from pictures I took. It helps with the initial setting up of the sketch.
I don't see myself taking classes the first year. Unless I can sign up for a class at my university. That would be fun.

I have never been to Arkansas. I have to say that most places (with the exception of Kansas) have areas of natural beauty.

I have tried painting people, but I am just not happy with it. I painted my friends little boy, and his painting is on their wall. That one I'm semi-satisfied with. That's just extra hard.
Sinzi sure is good at that though Very Happy
I agree with you about the black and white (or grey-scale) drawings. They are beautiful. Do require more skill too I think...

I have always loved looking at sketches by artists. Seeing how someone can capture so much with just a couple of lines has always intrigued me. I sometimes like those wven more than the finished product Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some drawing and sketching in my time, but very little painting. My coordinator at the museum, Bob, on the other hand, is an artist and is always drawing and painting. He takes classes every year at one of the universities in Chicago, and based on what he's told me, I'm not surprised you may have had problems "capturing" your friend's little boy. Children aren't hard to sketch or draw--even I'm somewhat competent at that--but painting them is another matter. I'll bet your friend was thrilled with the painting, though.

Anyway, Bob was telling me about one class in which he had to paint a baby's face for an exercise. He couldn't quite get it right and kept fussing with it and fussing with it, adding shadows here and details there. He eventually finished with it, and as he describes this painting of his, it turned out to look more like a troll baby.

I keep asking him to bring it so I can see it, but he refuses. I wonder why?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I made sure the painting of my friend's son did not amount to an insult Laughing

No one likes to hear or see it implied that their kid looks like a troll or cabbage patch kid Cool
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabbage Patch Kid, I like that. I'm going to mention it to Bob: "Hey, c'mon, show me your painting of the Cabbage Patch Kid!"

Luckily this painting of his wasn't of anyone's real baby. He probably would have gotten slapped silly, based on how he describes it. Though knowing Bob, he's probably exaggerating. The troll baby probably isn't even worse than a mutant.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even I am now curious about the looks of this baby in the painting.....
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much both of you. I agree with the black and with white photographs. They are great. But I like sepia as well. I feel that they are more artistic. I used to download a lot of artistic photographs. I just love to stare at them. That's why maybe I never tried to do pastel. I've always wanted to paint lanscapes though but that wouln't work out for me... Well just say that you wouldn't want to imagine yourself there. Laughing I like to capture feelings and the expressions on some people's faces and when I succed that I feel great. But these two drawings I did before I started going to drawing classes so you can learn by yourself. I learn a lot from books and I studied a lot the famous painters.
Hmm... I never tried to draw a baby. I think it would be chanlenging. But I wonder what kind of troll he would be... Shocked
Amen-Ra™
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: testing Reply with quote

just testing my avatar sorry.

Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to paint as well, it's my first talent. My favourite medium to use is acrylics on canvas, although they are the trickiest for you must have a good idea about what you are painting because when you prime it ( two thick coats of white primer on the whole canvas) you need to quickly paint your subject over the wet canvas, that way your lines are smooth and flowing. If you let the primer dry it makes it difficult to paint. Also put ing touch of paint thinner works to make your brush glide across the canvas.

I am addicted to painting landscapes for they are the easiest because they are so natural, even if you make a slight mistake it's okay because nature doesn't have to be perfect, even though it may look it sometimes. I really don't like doing portraits because they NEED to be perfect and skin colour is the most difficult colour to produce.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of my artwork:

Self-portrait:

Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, those are big!

Here's one I forgot:

Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap, why didn't that work?
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/dmr110684/06-06-05_1253.jpg
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that painting with the leopard and the girl above the landscape!
You're really talented.
Still can't see the other ones Crying or Very sad
After seeing that one I really want to see your other work too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: