Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books on ancient Egyptian Religion??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Books on ancient Egyptian Religion?? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a couple of good books on the ancient Egyptian's religion. I've found a few books for sale that look interesting. If anyone's read any of them I'd like to hear your views on them before I go and blow all my money on them Laughing :

Arrow Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt, by Rosalie David.
Arrow The Gods of Ancient Egypt, by Barbara Watterson.
Arrow Ancient Egyptian Religion, by Jaroslav Cerny (although, if I decide to get this one it could take six weeks to be delivered Mad ).

If any of you have any better ones to recommend, then feel free to do so. Very Happy Thanks!

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen R. David's book yet, but it's on my wishlist. It came highly recomended by ppl I respect. The Watterson is probably too basic for you, it's a nice (but somewhat dated) intro to the AE pantheon. The Cerny will definately be outdated, as it was written in the 50's. You might be ok with him, though, if you're prepared to unlearn some of what you learn in his book.

I think that Anneke posted my religion biblio in that section of the boards.

Are you looking for books that are used as college textbooks? Then I would recommend Morenz, Hornung, and Assmann. Read them in that order- Assmann last as he can be difficult.

Or do you just want some intro material? Then Schaefer's book is just perfect. It's divided into sections by different ppl with expertise in the different ares, with just the right amount of detail as to not be too overwhelming, but recent enough that you won't have to unlearn out dated ideas.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Kat. Very Happy I'll definitely get the Rosalie David one then, from what I've seen, it looks very interesting. The Barbara Watterson book is actually on my 'Recommened Reading' list from my course, but I much rather take the advice from other people that have read the books, after all, you can never be sure how often these courses update their reading material! Laughing

Yeah, the books I need are for my coursework, where I have to explain my understanding of the Egyptian religion throughout the different periods, so I guess they can't be too basic. Sad

Is this the Morenz one, and the Assmann one that you were referring to? I don't know which Hornung book you mean, though I already have a couple by him: The Ancient Egyptian Books of the Afterlife, and Knowledge for the Afterlife: The Egyptian Amduat - A Quest for Immortality. Is it a different one that you mean? Idea

Thanks for the advice, though.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the Morenz I meant. The Hornung is : _Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt The One and the Many_, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, c. 1982, ISBN 0-8014-8384-0. It was written as his reply to Morenz. The Assmann I meant is: _The Search for God in Ancient Egypt_, Cornell Paperbacks, Ithaca, c. 2001, ISBN 0-8014-8729-3. It's translated from the German by David Lorton. The Assmann you cited is pretty much devoted to the Solar Cults, and while you can use it to draw parallels to the rest of AE religion, Search for God would be better for your purpose.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for giving me the titles to the books, Kat. I see what you mean about the two books by Jan Assmann; I may end up getting both of them to compare the different types of religion, like you said. Do any of them have information on Akhenaten's religious ideas, because that could be another comparison to make i.e. how the religious ideas were different during his reign to the other periods of ancient Egypt? Smile

kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in Re, Amun and only peripherally in search for God. Truth to tell, Assmann is difficult and I'm still wrestling with some of his ideas. I did have a journal article by him, something called A Theological Response to Amarna or close to it. This was online at one time; I'll see if I can find the URL for you, but probably not until later on this week.
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URL washttp://weaver2.la.psu.edu/cams/festschrift/assmann.pdf.

It's apparently no longer online, but I found Google Scholar's HTML version of it. I saved it as a text file, and if you want this article, I can email it to you.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need to worry about sending me the information by email, I'm sure I'll have enough information to go on from the books that you've recommended to me (it ought to keep me busy for a few weeks), thanks! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: