Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reasons Why we are fascinated with Ancient Egypt
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
openbook
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reasons Why we are fascinated with Ancient Egypt Reply with quote

part of my assignment includes discussing reasons for peoples' fascination of Egypt. Could you share your opinion with me? What is it about Egypt that draws you in?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in the beginning it was more the art work and the craftsmanship of the jewelry that caught my eye.

Now I like the idea that we have just enough information about these people that we can at least feel as though we can get to know them. But there are enough gaps in our knowledge that we can still use our imagination to fill in the details.

It just seems amazing that we can learn about people who lived so long ago. I really enjoy reading about the New Kingdom period for instance and that is ca 3500 years ago. That's such a long time ago and yet you do find out these little snippets of information about these people. And at times it feels that for the briefest amount of time they come back alive and you get a glimpse of their world.
ellie-asthenia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my reason is because when I got taught about Ancient Egypt in Primary school, I thought it was really cool. Then when I got older I sought of forgot about it then watched the film 'night at the museum'.
Haha. Then I got back into it again.

I think what got me into it as a kid was the gods and tutankhamun's death mask (because we had to draw it in an art lesson)
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, like Anneke mentioned, for me it's the feeling of being able to get to know people that lived thousands of years ago, that keeps me interested. But in my case, I enjoy 'getting to know' the regular people of their culture (artisans, priests, scribes and farmers etc.), and so, studying the worker's villages from different periods of their history appeals to me. Very Happy The first thing that got me fascinated by ancient Egypt, though, was their myths, gods, and goddesses, as I was really into stuff like that at the time (I guess I still am, though not quite as strongly), but from there my love for ancient Egypt blossomed into a full-blown addiction! Laughing

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
egyptianscribe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the complexity of hieroglyphics, religion, and their art work interests me most. They had a systematic way of portraying their art work which stayed almost the extact same for thousands of years. Their hieroglyphic system is hard to master but beautiful to look at. Egyptian religion consisted on complex system of gods and ceremonies. I think because of the complexity their is still alot of mystery behind AE and the unsolved or curious draws us to this civilization. Idea
ellie-asthenia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sound like so stupid compared to you guys Laughing
My reasons are pretty daft, but it means something for me as it was all in my childhood that I got interested in Egypt, so in a way learning about them at a young age influenced me to being interested in it now.

But like you are all saying (about learning about people from thousands of years ago) as i got older, I realised that's one of the things that fascinated me. I think it's amazing that they were real living people and they built those amazing temples and pyramids of which some still stand.
I find that crazy, that today, you can just waltz up to a statue or a temple, and be standing in front of something that an actual ancient Egyptian would have stood in front of thousands of years ago.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all the reasons mentioned here-I am fascinated by their religion and ways of life and death, their beautiful artwork, the way that people lived back then, and just the fact that this was such an ancient period in history and even so, we know so much about them...and yet, we're always discovering much more about them even today! The sands have secrets and we've only just scratched the surface...

I also love the way AE is so unique, so memorable, so recognisable. A lot of people I know treat AE as a big cliche, as overrated, but even though it is indeed the most well known-even most hyped-civilisation in the world (along with Greece and Rome) thanks to movies and books and the fact that many of the monuments and mummies are in good shape even today, despite what some annoying people say I can't help but be entranced by it all. And despite all the mystery and magic that surrounds Egypt, it's even more amazing when you think about the human beings who created such a memorable civilisation and the way they lived so long ago. I also love the way that Egyptian art and architecture is so instantly recognisable, it has that certain 'je ne sais quoi' that marks it as being Egyptian, so much so that you can show anyone-even someone who isn't into Egypt-a sarcophagus, scroll, stela or mummy from that era and they will know it is Egyptian.
quietly
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL okay my reason has to be the corniest.

"The Mummy"
i saw it when i was about 15, and the way Ankhesenamun looked was so attractive, I wanted to know everything about Egypt.
then i learned that he movie had many many flaws, but i didn't care, its a movie. Egypt was still Egypt. Smile
ellie-asthenia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love The Mummy! Both of them
haha the first ones the best though
Neferseshat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I became interested in Egyptology from a Japanese comic book, the story was based on King Tut but it was about an American girl somehow got cursed and she went back to 18 dynasty and fell in love with the young king.

One funny thing is, I was interested in AE because of this story, but now I can point out several errors in that story, such as the pharaoh had very long black straight hair.

However, if I was not interested in Egyptology, I may not speak any English now. Laughing
Silaku Nasuwt
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've loved it all my life, but I only became seriously interested in it five years ago when I was 12 when I watched The Mummy for the first time! Laughing

//z11.invisionfree.com/The_Mummy_Movies
Embrace_Egypt
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was The Mummy and The Mummy Returns that first got me interested in Ancient Egypt. Wink

Quote:
"The Mummy"
i saw it when i was about 15, and the way Ankhesenamun looked was so attractive, I wanted to know everything about Egypt.
then i learned that he movie had many many flaws, but i didn't care, its a movie. Egypt was still Egypt.

Even though it did have several flaws in the movie to do with Egypt I loved it. It gave me a slight idea on the lifestyle at that time Very Happy

Above is my reason for the interest in Ancient Egypt. May not
be accurate but it sure is great
child_of_Set0409
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me it was the mythology and mumification. I like the pyramids, but they just seem sooooo stereotypical of ancient Egyptians. I think the temples like Karnak are WAAAAYY cooler! Very Happy
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was drawn in by a Scifi movie, the original production in 1996 (year of broadcasting here), not the series afterwards, th whole setting intrigued me, even though I knew it was "just a movie" and probably wrong all the way!

From there the Pyramids and the stories connected with them caught my attention, and now I try to find out as much as I can, I also have - since a few years - a nice little statuette of Ba-stet (Perhaps I was a priest in her temple, in a previous life, but I simply LOVE cats Wink
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's because they're mysterious and interesting:

After all they just happened to be (in my opinion) the greatest doctors and the like in the whole of the Ancient world (along with the Greeks).

Their pyramids are a marvel of engineering (they apparently used fibrous cords that could stretch and contract and were so precise the North-East corner of the Great Pyramid is only 1CM higher than the opposite corner, a mistake of the less than 0.01 percent!)

Let's be honest, their religion is pretty awesome too (and that's coming from an Agnostic!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: