Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K99.1 Tomb High Priest of Amun "May"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: K99.1 Tomb High Priest of Amun "May" Reply with quote

K99.1 The tomb of the High priest of Amun, May.

May was the High priest of Amun during the early years of the reign of Amenhotep IV before the king moved to Akhetaten.

Hig priest of Amun May, left graffiti at Wadi Hammamat.

These short inscriptions, left at the greywhacke quarry on the road between Coptos and the Red Sea, are notable for demonstrating the continued activity of a high priest of Amun in the year before Amenhotep IV made his first dramatic break with the orthodox cults.

1. Regnal year 4, third month of the Inundation season, day 11 under the Peson of the King of Upper and Lower Egypt Neferkheprure-Waenre, the son of Re Amnhotep (IV), when a charge was given to the first prophet of Amun May to bring bekhen-stone (for) the statue of the Lord, l.p.h.
2. Regnal year 4, third month of Inundation, (day ...: coming by the steward (?) of the estate of Amun with the first prophet of Amun (May, in order to quarry bekhen-stone..........)?

The tomb of May is situated at Dra Abu el-Naga/Theben-West. On the basis of stamped mud bricks "K99.1" can be ascribed to the High priest of Amun, May. The tomb is undecorated but shows a well-executed and regularly shaped sloping passage leading to the burial chamber.

Polz D. : Bericht über die 9. bis 12. Grabungskampagne in der Nekropole von Dra'Abu el-Naga/Theben West, in MDAIK 59 (2003), pp. 373-74.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting. I had not heard that they found the tomb of this official. Any information about other forms of his name?

Redford had proposed that May could have been short for Ptahmose.
If so then this may be evident from inscriptions. If not, then it would be interesting to see where this High Priest came from.

From what I read Simut had been promoted to 2nd prophet by the end of Amenhotep III's reign. I'm not sure what function(s) this May woould have performed before becoming High Priest.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Rozette I'd also not come across a tomb assigned to May. I'm confused about the numbering of it though (?) - K99.1 is not the style of numbering we usually see at the Theban tombs.

It was also interesting to see that the steward(?) of the state of Amun was also present for the expedition for bekhen stone. I wonder if this could have been Kheruef. He dies sometime early in the reign of Akhenaten - Wink a quarrying accident perhaps, tripping over a stone, or since this is the Amarna period and his tomb wasn't used, he was Moses crossing to the Red Sea.

Anneke wrote:
Quote:
From what I read Simut had been promoted to 2nd prophet by the end of Amenhotep III's reign. I'm not sure what function(s) this May woould have performed before becoming High Priest.

Murnane (The Organization of Government uner Amenhotep III) makes the observation regarding the earlier careers of appointed HP "With few exceptions, most HP were the sons of low or middle rank clergymen, and seldom had they attained to high rank themselves before their elevation. Only one man in the early eighteenth dynasty, Menkheperresoneb, had served in the upper hierarchy of Amon, (as second prophet) before he was appointed first prophet in the later reign of Thutmose III". He goes on to give an example of Amenemhet who had been simply a pure priest at the age of 54 before being appointed High Priest. He notes that none of the HP's of the 18th dynasty passed the post onto their sons and the family pass back into obscurity again.
As he notes there were exceptions. We know of men such as Hapusoneb who was possibly also Vizier, the like named Menkheperresoneb who succeeded his uncle, and Mery was the son of a Royal nurse and a High Priest of Min etc.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke and Sesen,

No other name forms and archaeological material was found in the tomb and the facade decoration is very faded.
The tomb is a very small one and came to light during clearance of the large wall east of the tombs area E K93.11 and K93.12 (Dra' Abu el-Naga/Western Thebes).
They found four rock tombs just under the wall, the norther tomb is K99.1, the so-called tomb of May.The literature about this tomb is limited to few words by Daniel Polz in MDAIK 59.

Tomb K99.4 with heavely mutilated but in places well preserved wall paintings belonged to the "scribe of the High Priest of Amun" called Neferhebef (reign Thutmose IV). This person was previously known only from inscribed funerary cones.
Polz D. : Bericht über die 9. bis 12. Grabungskampagne in der Nekropole von Dra'Abu el-Naga/Theben West, in MDAIK 59 (2003), pp. 373-74.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see a person by the name of Neferhabef turn up Smile

I was just looking for info about officials from the time of Amenhotep III and one of the Chief stewards of Memphis was the son of a Neferhabef:

Amenhotep Huy Chief Steward of Memphis. Donated 10 jars to sed festival in years 30 and 31.
A statue of a chief Steward of Memphis named Amenhotep in Bologna, Museo Civico Archeologico, 1825, mentions the parents of Amenhotep Neferhabef and [Tu]T(u)ia (http://griffith.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/gri/s14.html)

A man named Benermerut, dedicated a statue to his parents Neferhabef and wife Taiu in Louvre, A 57 [N.58]. This person is dated to Amenhotep II (possibly). I wonder if this last person refers to the nurse of Princess Merytamun (daughter of Tuthmosis III).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: