Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KV55 mummy Akhenaten after all?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The coffin that Old Tut was in since Carter's time, does not look anything like Tut on the mask or the inter coffin. I always figured it was from Smenkhkare.

I believe of the three coffins in which Tut's mummy was placed, the middle one was believed to haven been Smenkhkare's originally.

As for these TV specials, it might be easiest just to try to tune out Hawass altogether. He can make things quite confusing and sometimes I wonder if he knows what's coming out of his mouth. Confused

I like him better as a writer, with which he does just fine, but the TV specials can be irritating.

Visit my blog!
Seshat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: On DNA analysis Reply with quote

There's only so much you can find out with DNA testing, too. We can establish a high probability of the KV55 mummy belonging to a male who is related to Yuya and Tuyu, but that doesn't really tell us much considering that both the candidates for the mummy are supposed to have been related to Yuya and Tuyu.
If we accept that the elder lady is Queen Tiye, we can test mitochondrial DNA which comes directly from the mother, but given that there are still some holdouts who think Smenkhare is Akhenaten's brother, this doesn't really lead to any solid conclusions, either.
You could also do mitochondrial DNA comparisons between Tuyu and the KV55 mummy which would prove something if we accept that if there was actually a pharaoh named Smenkhare, and this man was not Akhenaten's brother (which seems a rather dated theory based on the assumption of a long coregency), we could posit that the body was Akhenaten based on that.
In short, the best way to do this would be to do a DNA test between the elder lady or Tuyu and the KV55 mummy. This would be based on a lot of rather shaky assumptions but might nudge the identification in one way or another.
Also, getting DNA from mummies can be very tricky. I think in the case where there's only a skull left, pretty much the only bet is to look at dental pulp.
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I believe of the three coffins in which Tut's mummy was placed, the middle one was believed to haven been Smenkhkare's originally.
M.Gabolde wrote an article about one of these coffins which was originally designed for Neferneferuaten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: