Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Tut Exhibit!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I did not have get to experience the exhibit at the Franklin Institute. The plans fell through. I was quite disappointed. Well, things just sometimes happen. I guess I will just have to go directly to Egypt to see those lovely artifacts sometime in the future.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, ImageOfAten. But hey, if you ever make it to Egypt, I'd be glad to tag along as your luggage boy. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The generous kmt_sesh always offering to be everyone's luggage boy to Egypt Laughing
ellie-asthenia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you can't go Sad
but hey, I'm sure if you go to Egypt it would be even better, lol
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The generous kmt_sesh always offering to be everyone's luggage boy to Egypt Laughing

Generous only to the point that someone else pays for the trip, you see. Razz

Visit my blog!
Silaku Nasuwt
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to go in november. Being in England sucks, why did it have to go to america first whilst we brits have to wait??? Mad

Either way, I'm going yay! Very Happy

//z11.invisionfree.com/The_Mummy_Movies
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Being in England sucks, why did it have to go to america first whilst we brits have to wait??? Mad

They were thinking of me! Applause

Visit my blog!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to go but I still haven't got my damn tickets...
kleopatra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very excited, I have tickets to the exhibition for late December. It is going to be the most amazing thing I have ever seen! Very Happy
Michela
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kleopatra wrote:
I'm very excited, I have tickets to the exhibition for late December. It is going to be the most amazing thing I have ever seen! Very Happy

I also have tickets to see it in December I am every excited Very Happy
Littlewolf
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this trhead is a littel old but here goes.

I would really like to hear from those of you that have visited teh exhibition. I would like to go before it ends but Its an expensive trip from denmark and I dont have much money.

I have been to the egyptian museum last summer and it was awsome. So is the London exhibition worth the price? Smile
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the exhibit for eight months here in Chicago and it was a huge success. I spent a lot of time in the galleries as a docent and loved it, myself. We were glad to see the craziness end when the exhibit finally left, but now of course I miss it.

Our most recent member to attend the exhibit is Daughter_Of_SETI, who just returned from her holiday in London. I''m sure she'll be doing a write-up of her thoughts and experiences very soon, so keep your eyes out for that post.

She also visited the British Museum while in London and shared some wonderful photos of its Egyptian galleries in this thread. Check it out!

Visit my blog!
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to see this today (in the O2 in London).

I was very pleasantly surprised by this exhibition, since the reviews when it first opened weren't all that favourable (tacky music, presentation style that sounded a bit Disneyish). Not sure if the format has been rejigged recently, but it was actually all quite understated and fairly tasteful in the end - with the whole exhibition hall in plain black to provide a neutral backdrop for the artifacts. And though there was music, it was on low volume and not too cheesy. Apart from a short (90 second film) at the beginning, there were no voice-overs, or other interruptions.

The tour started with artifacts from the pre Amarna era (statuettes of Tuthmosis IV, Amenophis III, head of Tiye). There were also several very impressive items from the tomb of Thuya and Yuya including a coffin and funerary mask. These items figure in many books about the era, but the photographs are usually in black and white - so this was the first time I really appreciated what a spectacular and important find in it's own right this tomb must have been - amazing pieces!

Moving on to the Amarna era there was a well-known head of Nefertiti in dark brown stone, and the most beautiful Amarna princess head, which was also one of the most complete I have so far seen - it still had its entire nose! Probably my favourite item in the whole exhibition, in fact.

As regards the Tutankhamen tomb items, I would say these comprised about 40-50% of the exhibition. There were several of the paired male/female gilded statuettes (the ones wrapped in linen dated to the reign of Akhenaten) which were bigger than I had imagined and very finely detailed. There was also a coffinette for viscera - probably the most visually impressive and opulent piece in the display, with minute inlays and enamelling - the best thing was being able to see inside it though (it was separated into two halves), because inside there was a depiction of a pharaoh in a bag wig, which I have never seen reproduced anywhere else - and probably not Tut, I would hazard to guess.

There was also a fair amount of jewellery, several unguent jars, alabaster vessels and various ubshati.

Oh, and the small gold statuette shrine (from which many images of Tutankhamen and Ankhesenamen have been published) was exquisite.

Slightly tacky giftshop, (some nice looking books, though they all seemed to be authored by Hawass - hmm!)

All in all well worth the visit I would say, though I think the 20 weekend rate is a bit steep to say the least - glad I got discount weekday tickets on the web, which were a bit cheaper.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja vu! Didn't I just read this in the Miscellaneous forum? Laughing

Visit my blog!
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - sorry about that - I posted on this thread first, then thought 'I'm sure there was a longer thread with more reviews somewhere else?'

I just wanted to run it alongside the majority of the other reviews where it was slightly more likely to be seen. Apologies for the duplication! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: