Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Tut Exhibit!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isis 2
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am going to make you all jealous now, I went to the very first King Tut exhibition in 1973/74, it was a nightmare complared to this time round, I remember Mum & I had to que for nearly 3 1/2 hours just to get into the exhibition and then shuffled round with everyone else in a long snake like que and my Mum (bless her) kept on making jokes about going to see "the Mummies with your Mummy" Laughing Happy memories of that day.

So I went this year on my Birthday, a treat from my Hubby, was expecting the same thing, but no, it was wonderful and spent a fortune on books as well Very Happy
Kiya
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, Isis. I'm pleased you enjoyed it better this time round. Smile
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not jealous.
I saw the first Tut exhibit in the '70's, too.
And I saw the new and revised version in Kmt-Sesh's backyard when it came through Chicago in 2006, and now I'm going to Texas (yep, Texas, on purpose), to see it again.

Bob

Good bye, Doug, thanks a lot, and you're welcome for all the fish. Stop by our way again.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobManske wrote:
I'm not jealous.
I saw the first Tut exhibit in the '70's, too.
And I saw the new and revised version in Kmt-Sesh's backyard when it came through Chicago in 2006, and now I'm going to Texas (yep, Texas, on purpose), to see it again.

Bob

You're confused, Bob. That wasn't the Tut exhibit in my backyard. That was my annual summer beach party bash. You look great in a grass skirt, by the way. Razz

I hope you enjoy the Dallas venue. I was admittedly relieved when the Tut exhibit left Chicago because the Field Museum was absolutely nuts for the entire eight months it was here (well more than a million people came to the museum during that run!). Now, of course, I'm missing it. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and all that. I'd love to see it once more, but...

...Dallas? Eww! Laughing

Just kidding. Were I in the area during its stay there, I'd go see it, too.

Visit my blog!
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:

I worked the exhibit while it was at the Field Museum in Chicago

Then I may have seen you at some point, as that's the first place I saw it. (I also went to see it at the O2 in London on my honeymoon.) (Also on my honeymoon, I saw the Egyptian galleries at the Louvre and the little museum in Munich.) (My wife and I have a deal: she doesn't gripe at my Egyptian fascination if I don't gripe when she wants to see the French Impressionists.)

It was wonderful to see close-up so many of the objects I've only seen in photographs!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you got to see the exhibit twice? You're so lucky! I went to see it at the O2 and thoroughly enjoyed it! Cool

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... It was interesting to see what was the same and what was different in the exhibitions. They seem to have rotated a few minor pieces in and out, and the somewhat-controversial facial reconstructions of what "Tut" may have looked like were at Chicago but not London.

The display at the O2 was a little better laid-out, but I think they had more room to work with than they did at Chicago. (Not that the Field Museum layout was bad by any means; just a little more cramped.)

My principal disappointment was that they selected the gold dagger rather than the iron one for the exhibit. ::grumble:: Presumably for the "bling" value...
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think the Field Museum exhibit was cramped at all, although more space may have been available elsewhere.

I'm also just after coming back from seeing the same exhibit in Dallas. No space issues were apparent there, either, but it seemed that in the Field Museum the items were further out in the room, away from the walls, so you could walk around and get in behind them more comfortably than you could in Dallas. But again, maybe not.

My favorite piece in the exhibit is Sitamun's Chair, the one that Empress Eugenie of France sat in once while everyone in the room held their breath. The workmanship on that chair is so good it's held up for 34 centuries! Tutankhamun's throne and footstool make up another very nice piece. The chest in the shape of a cartouche is beautiful, too.

As far as the dagger, gold vs iron? Well, I sympathize with the sentiment but since the title of the exhibit included "...Golden Age...", it's understandable.

Oh, well. Down to the Field Museum on the 27th to see Aztecs and another tour of the Egyptian exhibit. My image collection needs updating. And, if there's time and parking available, off to the Oriental Institute.

And, Kmt_Sesh, - different subject - I know you're not a Bears fan, but if my Packers can't have it, then the Bears might as well. Anybody but the Minnesota dirtyrottenfilthynogooddisgustingscumbags.

Bob

Good bye, Doug, thanks a lot, and you're welcome for all the fish. Stop by our way again.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 'cramped' was the wrong word to use. The venue in London (O2) is gigantic, so they could be a lot more lavish in space than at the Field. The exhibition was laid out nicely both places, just a little differently.

Last two times I was in Chicago, I was minded to go to the Oriental Institute but didn't make it. Worth another attempt?

As for places 'round here: Cincinnati has a few items, but they mostly seemed to me to be generic and rough shabtis. Cleveland has some great items, particularly a rare 'lion-hunt' scarab of Amenhotep III not finished as a scarab on the top side, plus a good statue-head of the same king. Toledo has a surprisingly nice little collection, including a couple of Amenhotep III's seated Sekhmets and a headless striding statue of Tanutamani.

Columbus has zilch, though there are a couple of traveling exhibits due here in '09.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe 'cramped' was the wrong word to use. The venue in London (O2) is gigantic, so they could be a lot more lavish in space than at the Field. The exhibition was laid out nicely both places, just a little differently.

No, I'd say "cramped" is fair, especially given the day and time you may have been there. As someone who was working in the exhibit every weekend, I can say I felt cramped often enough. I'm a pretty short guy, so when I was packed in with a bunch of tall people, I got pretty frustrated.

Which reminds me of one of the only official complaints we received at the Field Museum when Tut was there. One parent said her little kid saw nothing but other people's butts. Razz

Hey, that's not such a bad complaint, considering we took in more than a million people while Tut was in Chicago.

One of the big plusses is how the exhibit was laid out, which BobManske explained. Many of the display cases were free-standing so you could approach from all sides, and that really helped to facilitate movement in the galleries.

LOL And that reminds me of the first weekend the exhibit was in town. It was late May 2006 and the temperature was brutal outside. One lady had been outside too long before coming into the Field, and she entered the exhibit with heat exhaustion. I spotted her in the gallery devoted to KV46, where she was dry-heaving behind Sitamun's throne. Shocked A couple of guards were there with her but they both had this look that said, What in the hell do we do with her?

It was a great show. The museum was a madhouse for all eight months that the exhibit was in town, and in truth we docents and the museum staff were ready to see it end by the finish, but it was a great time.

The only bad experience I had was with Bob. I caught him trying to lie down in Tjuya's gold coffin. Just kidding. If Bob was there I didn't see him. I'll just have to take his word for it that he behaved. Laughing

Visit my blog!
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kmt_sesh"]
Quote:
[b]If Bob was there I didn't see him. I'll just have to take his word for it that he behaved. Laughing

I never said I behaved.

Actually, we were in the member's-only pre-show. There were a lot of people there.

And to Montuhotep's question: Yes, the Oriental Institute is well worth the trip, but you're parking on Chicago Streets in the University and parking spaces ain't.

Bob

Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
It was a great show. The museum was a madhouse for all eight months that the exhibit was in town, and in truth we docents and the museum staff were ready to see it end by the finish, but it was a great time.

I intentionally skipped the audio tour, thinking I'd test myself on my ability to get by on my prior knowledge and pre-reading. While waiting for our admission time, I started chatting with a couple from St. Louis, in line ahead of me-- one of them asked some sort of question about Tutankhamen, and I jumped in and supplied the answer-- and I ended up being their tour guide through the exhibit, which was kind of neat. At least the day I was at Chicago, the crowd tended to go from point to point in numeric order, so we simply looked for where there were fewest people at any given point and saw the pieces in our own order.

Made it more enjoyable for me... though I'm perfectly able and willing to go to an exhibit solo, it's always nicer to have someone along you can discuss things with.

The couple said I should get a job at the museum; I said thank you, but A) I already have a job, B) it would be a long commute to Chicago from Columbus, and C) the supply of people wanting to get jobs like that far outpaces the demand, unfortunately!
Bastet.Anubis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to see this exhibit! I flew to San Francisco from Vancouver just to see it about two months ago. And I hope to catch it once more before it leaves SF so that I can possible see anything details I missed the first time. I learned a lot from this forum on the Armana period since I've been back.
~Ankhesenamun~
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the opening night gala of "Tutankhamun the Golden King and the Great Pharaohs" at the AGO, it was phenomenal!
Too bad Hawass didn't show.. (he had to cancel last minute.)
It took my breath away. I went through the exhibit three times throughout the course of the night & I was the last person to leave when it closed at 11. (though the party upstairs continued!)
It was kinda awkward being the only person in each gallery, nevertheless, it was great to have one-on-one time with the artifacts! Laughing
& that was my highlight of 2009~

PS: The statues of Akhenaten and Tutankhamun were, in my opinion, the most moving pieces in the exhibit, I actually cried. Sad
I could have stayed there all night!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: