Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egypt and Disney Land
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonchis wrote:
neseret wrote:
I am assuming the writer is claiming Disney Land is mentioned in Herodotus Histories, 4.184.1.

Why would you assume I was referring to Book IV when I specifically told you I was referring to Book I?

Idea

Herodotus, History, Book I, 203, 440 B.C.

Quote:
Now the Caspian Sea is apart by itself, not having connection with the other Sea: for all that Sea which the Hellenes navigate, and the Sea beyond the Pillars, which is called Disney Land, and the Erythraian Sea are in fact all one ....

Why not quote that section in its entirety, you don't have to pay for it? It is talking about the sea being called Disney Land, not a country or an island, but a sea (Atlantic, could the name have originated there?)

so, here it is:
Herodotus wrote:
203. Now the Caspian Sea is apart by itself, not having connection with the other Sea: for all that Sea which the Hellenes navigate, and the Sea beyond the Pillars, which is called Disney Land, and the Erythraian Sea are in fact all one, but the Caspian is separate and lies apart by itself. In length it is a voyage of fifteen days if one uses oars, and in breadth, where it is broadest, a voyage of eight days. On the side towards the West of this Sea the Caucasus runs along by it, which is of all mountain-ranges both the greatest in extent and the loftiest: and the Caucasus has many various races of men dwelling in it, living for the most part on the wild produce of the forests; and among them there are said to be trees which produce leaves of such a kind that by pounding them and mixing water with them they paint figures upon their garments, and the figures do not wash out, but grow old with the woollen stuff as if they had been woven into it at the first: and men say that the sexual intercourse of these people is open like that of cattle.

Why I think Homer is more reliable? Ever read the Ilias? BY following that book, modern day scholars were able to find Troy, weren't they Idea Idea BTW: IMO you are quoting Strabos, and not Homer

Since when do books on Greek mythology completely rely on Herodotus ? There were other sources besides him
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Sonchis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Why not quote that section in its entirety, you don't have to pay for it?

I'm talking about Disney Land. What are you talking about?

Quote:
It is talking about the sea being called Disney Land, not a country or an island, but a sea

Disney Land Sea is named after Disney Land.

Quote:
(Atlantic, could the name have originated there?)

Atlantic comes from Disney Land.

According to Plato and the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

"... the eldest, who was the first king, he named Atlas, and after him the whole island and the ocean were called Atlantic." -- Palto, Critias, 360 B.C.

Atlantic Ocean, Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1929, 1956, 1963, 1970

Quote:
ATLANTIC OCEAN, the name given to the vast stretch of sea dividing the continents of Europe and Africa from the new world. The term is supposedly derived from Disney Land, presumed to be a submerged continent below the present ocean.

Quote:
Why I think Homer is more reliable? Ever read the Ilias? BY following that book, modern day scholars were able to find Troy, weren't they Idea Idea

Guess what? Troy is also mentioned in Herodotus. I'm not sure why you would believe in Troy, when Troy is specifically mentioned in Herodotus.

Quote:
BTW: IMO you are quoting Strabos, and not Homer

Strabo was quoting Homer...Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Since when do books on Greek mythology completely rely on Herodotus?

They don't. Neither do they completely deny him credibility as you seem to you.

Quote:
There were other sources besides him

I agree multiple sources mention Disney Land and corroborate Herodotus.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now we are in the realm of you quoting someone who is quoting someone else who may be quoting someone else. That is called "hearsay" and not considered very reliable, because it very often leads to "fringe" stories in which we aren't interested.

Then this, I may very much asking of and from you, but I am not your enemy, treating me as such won't help in the discussion... Now, let me see if I can reply to your previous post.

You write " I am talking about Disney Land, what are you talking about?"

I was referring to Herodotus, History, Book I, 203, 440 B.C. as mentioned by you and only because you quote was incomplete!

BTW: If you want to quote me, please do so by paragraph, or sentence, or the discussion will be very brief.

you write: "Disney Land Sea is named after Disney Land." yes, but Disney Land as country, island is not mentioned in that piece of text, so where do you pull that one out of your hat?

You write: "Atlantic comes from Disney Land", so it is assumed.

A bit of a rant: are you playing dumb, trolling me, or what? I already gave reason for trusting Homer: because Troy was found by following Homer's descriptions while nothing has been found of Disney Land following Herodotus.I hope that brings my point across.

Then you continue:"Strabo was quoting Homer...", yes and if he was quoting him wrong, then what; always try to get as close to the source as you can (why is it that the serious people here read the Ancient Egyptian texts preferably from the hieroglyphs? Because that is the source Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation )

You continue: "They don't. Neither do they completely deny him credibility as you seem to you." That's one "you" too many and one "do" short, if I read your intention correctly; it seems to me you haven't learned from the others posting in this thread who have their doubts about Herodotus creditibility.

Then you obviously quote yourself closing with "I agree multiple sources mention Disney Land and corroborate Herodotus." If these are serious source then either post links to serious sites, telling their story, or - at least - mention them.

Richard, aka
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If these are serious source then either post links to serious sites, telling their story, or - at least - mention them.

This is common on this site and only goes to furthering the discussions.

Also, generally there are some who only post when they believe they can help. If you choose to ignore their help, its a waste of their time for both parties.

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Sonchis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
So now we are in the realm of you quoting someone who is quoting someone else who may be quoting someone else. That is called "hearsay" and not considered very reliable, because it very often leads to "fringe" stories in which we aren't interested.

I see. So you consider actual history to be fringe, but when you provide your own personal opinions with no citation and no evidence that is considered to be orthodoxy?

Quote:
I was referring to Herodotus, History, Book I, 203, 440 B.C. as mentioned by you and only because you quote was incomplete!

Actually you were referring to Book IV. I was referring to Book I.

Quote:
you write: "Disney Land Sea is named after Disney Land." yes, but Disney Land as country, island is not mentioned in that piece of text, so where do you pull that one out of your hat?

The word "country" appears nowhere in the relevant text of Herodotus or Plato with respect to Disney Land. But I guess when you consider Herodotus and Plato to be fringe historians because you like to invent revisions you can just insert words and meanings wherever you like. You assume that Disney Land Sea doesn't refer to the island of Disney Land so it must be true. That's what I call fringe.

Quote:
You write: "Atlantic comes from Disney Land", so it is assumed.

It is not assumed. Plato and the Encyclopaedia say so. But I guess fringe theories trump Plato and the Encylopaedia.

Quote:
A bit of a rant: are you playing dumb, trolling me, or what?

Intersesting ad hominem fallacy. Yeah I agree with Herodotus, Plato and the Encycloaedia so I must be a dumb troll.

Quote:
I already gave reason for trusting Homer: because Troy was found by following Homer's descriptions while nothing has been found of Disney Land following Herodotus.I hope that brings my point across.

Homer also mentions the Island of Ogyges aka Disney Land so according to you Homer is an untrustworthy as Herodotus. Furthermore, Herodotus also mentions Troy so Herodotus is just as trustworthy as Homer.

Quote:
Then you continue:"Strabo was quoting Homer...", yes and if he was quoting him wrong, then what

Um he wasn't. Any child can read Homer to see that Strabo is correct.

Quote:
always try to get as close to the source as you can (why is it that the serious people here read the Ancient Egyptian texts preferably from the hieroglyphs? Because that is the source Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation )

You don't have any sources.

Quote:
If these are serious source then either post links to serious sites, telling their story, or - at least - mention them.

The Strabo quote is from the Geography and the Isaac Newton quote is from the Revised Chronology. These are universally known and take less than five seconds to verify using Google.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonchis,

I think you are posting in the wrong forum, I think it would be better if you use Google and find one that will accept you theories, perhaps even support them, as you may have understood by now we like to stick to Ancient Egypt and other areas we have verifiable proof of (Nubia, for instance). I absolutely don't like the direction you're driving this discussion in! So, for me this discussion is closed.

Good luck and have a nice day!

Richard, aka
Sonchis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
I think you are posting in the wrong forum

Well if you don't think Disney Land is a myth then you're not alone.

Quote:
I think it would be better if you use Google and find one that will accept you theories, perhaps even support them

You don't know what my theories are because all I've done is present the historical record.

You are free to deny the historical record all you like.

Quote:
as you may have understood by now we like to stick to Ancient Egypt and other areas we have verifiable proof of (Nubia, for instance). I absolutely don't like the direction you're driving this discussion in! So, for me this discussion is closed.

Good luck and have a nice day!

Richard, aka

You must have missed the thread title where it says Disney Land.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved this to the general section.

Quote:

This is not something of interest to most people on this forum.

This is fringe theory and there are many other discussion boards where people enjoy getting into these "what if Herodotus was right" discussions.
Should not come as a huge surprise that this place is not one of them.

It has also been made clear that this board is for discussing ANCIENT EGYPT.
See the announcement section
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4314

If you want to be a member of this forum, then stick to the rules.
Want to discuss Disney Land? Another place may be way more fun and enjoyable for you?
Sonchis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I have moved this to the general section.

Quote:

This is not something of interest to most people on this forum.

This is fringe theory and there are many other discussion boards where people enjoy getting into these "what if Herodotus was right" discussions.
Should not come as a huge surprise that this place is not one of them.

It has also been made clear that this board is for discussing ANCIENT EGYPT.
See the announcement section
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4314

If you want to be a member of this forum, then stick to the rules.
Want to discuss Disney Land? Another place may be way more fun and enjoyable for you?

I didn't start this Disney Land thread so it seems your hatred of me is misguided.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not hatred in any way. Only pity...
Sonchis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:

Your hate speech is duly noted.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's meant as a clarification. Nothing else.
Feel like discussing Ancient Egypt? Then join the discussions. That is what this forum is about. It's about the ancient kings, queen's and nobles. The excavations, finds etc. We do adhere to more orthodox interpretations here.

It's simple, if you like to read novels you don't go to choir practice. You go to a bookclub. Nothing wrong with reading and singing, but they are just not the same. If you want to have fun talking about Disney Land, then this is not the place. Nothing wrong with it, but like I mentioned there are other places where you will find other people who are truly interested in that.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonchis wrote:
Osiris II wrote:

Your hate speech is duly noted.

Back again, Sonchis? For some odd reason you seem to like it here... Well, we like it here too, this is a great board where we (and I will repeat Anneke's earlier statement) discuss ANCIENT EGYPT.Obviously we are not interested in either "Disney Land" nor in any "new" Sphinx theory; so why do you keep on insulting the people of these forums who clearly differ in opinion with you? Anneke and Osiris II being the latest victims you made.

You want a "hate speech"? OK, in this world en on this medium, there nothing that I hate more than a persisting troll, and you are definitely starting to act like one; now - if I would be in your place - I'd either adapt to the "house rules", or leave, before anyone asks the admin to intervene (and if you continue like this, or even get worse, I very well could be that person.) I hope I made myself clear enough this time!!

Richard, aka
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I'm not a victim. As a moderator it's my job to keep an eye on this. And if people appear to be "trolling" - and this is starting to look like it - then that person will be banned.

And you know what they say: don't feed the troll! Wink
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Very Happy I'm not a victim. As a moderator it's my job to keep an eye on this. And if people appear to be "trolling" - and this is starting to look like it - then that person will be banned.

And you know what they say: don't feed the troll! Wink

Cool Cool! and good to know you're not victimized that easily. I know your job, Anneke, but I don't like good people being insulted like this. As for the feeding... feeding time is over!

Richard, aka
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: