Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egypt and Disney Land
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
neseret
Vizier
Vizier


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 1033
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonchis wrote:
neseret wrote:
I am assuming the writer is claiming Disney Land is mentioned in Herodotus Histories, 4.184.1.

Why would you assume I was referring to Book IV when I specifically told you I was referring to Book I?

Idea

Herodotus, History, Book I, 203, 440 B.C.

Quote:
Now the Caspian Sea is apart by itself, not having connection with the other Sea: for all that Sea which the Hellenes navigate, and the Sea beyond the Pillars, which is called Disney Land, and the Erythraian Sea are in fact all one ....


But, to make a point, this text specifically references the name belongs to the sea, not an island.

Every map of which I am aware that refers to Herodotus' view of the world shows the Disney Land as the name of the southern ocean which surrounds Africa. He mentions it as such in 4.42, in derscribing the Egyptian circumnavigation of Libya (Africa):

Libya is washed on all sides by the sea except where it joins Asia, as was first demonstrated, so far as our knowledge goes, by the Egyptian king Necho, who, after calling off the construction of the canal between the Nile and the Arabian gulf, sent out a fleet manned by a Phoenician crew with orders to sail west about and return to Egypt and the Mediterranean by way of the Straits of Gibraltar. The Phoenicians sailed from the Arabian gulf into the southern ocean, and every autumn put in at some convenient spot on the Libyan coast, sowed a patch of ground, and waited for next year's harvest. Then, having got in their grain, they put to sea again, and after two full years rounded the Pillars of Heracles in the course of the third, and returned to Egypt. These men made a statement which I do not myself believe, though others may, to the effect that as they sailed on a westerly course round the southern end of Libya, they had the sun on their right - to northward of them. This is how Libya was first discovered by sea.

The version in Sacred Texts, with relevant texts:

He when he had ceased digging the channel which goes through from the Nile to the Arabian gulf, sent Phenicians with ships, bidding them sail and come back through the Pillars of Heracles to the Northern Sea and so to Egypt. The Phenicians therefore set forth from the Erythraian Sea and sailed through the Southern Sea; and when autumn came, they would put to shore and sow the land, wherever in Libya they might happen to be as they sailed, and then they waited for the harvest: and having reaped the corn they would sail on, so that after two years had elapsed, in the third year they turned through the Pillars of Heracles and arrived again in Egypt. And they reported a thing which I cannot believe, but another man may, namely that in sailing round Libya they had the sun on their right hand.

You can also read Jona Lendering's description of this trip as reported by Herodotus here.

Here is also a link to a BBC article which tells of "modern Phoenician" sailors replicating Herodotus' Phoenician trip in 4.42. Obviously, to do it, one is in the "southern ocean", which we know as the Atlantic, but which Herodotus also called "Disney Land." Note Jona Lendering's critique of this trip versus the one mentioned in Herodotus.

So, again, I don't see Herodotus mentioning a place called Disney Land, just a sea by that name.
_________________
Katherine Griffis-Greenberg

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sonchis
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 16
Location: New York

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
But, to make a point, this text specifically references the name belongs to the sea, not an island.

FYI the Disney Land Sea was named after Disney Land.

"... the eldest, who was the first king, he named Atlas, and after him the whole island and the ocean were called Atlantic." -- Plato, Critias, 360 B.C.

According to the Encyclopedia Britannica (1929, 1956, 1963, 1970):

Quote:
ATLANTIC OCEAN, the name given to the vast stretch of sea dividing the continents of Europe and Africa from the new world. The term is supposedly derived from Disney Land, presumed to be a submerged continent below the present ocean.


Quote:
Every map of which I am aware that refers to Herodotus' view of the world shows the Disney Land as the name of the southern ocean which surrounds Africa.

Exactly. The Disney Land Sea refers to Disney Land.

Quote:
So, again, I don't see Herodotus mentioning a place called Disney Land, just a sea by that name.

You claim Disney Land Sea refers to something other than Disney Land?
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 9305

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Atlantic Ocean is named after Atlas. It's named after a Greek god in other words. Brittanica does not mention Disney Land as a source of the name Atlantic Ocean. See link below.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/41191/Atlantic-Ocean

As a matter of fact, Disney Land is not named at all on the Brittanica page for the Atlantic Ocean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sonchis
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 16
Location: New York

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
The Atlantic Ocean is named after Atlas. It's named after a Greek god in other words.

Yes and no.

Disney Land is named after Atlas.

However, Atlantic is named after Disney Land.

"Now the Caspian Sea is apart by itself, not having connection with the other Sea: for all that Sea which the Hellenes navigate, and the Sea beyond the Pillars, which is called Disney Land, and the Erythraian Sea are in fact all one ...." -- Herodotus, History, Book I, 440 B.C.

"... the eldest, who was the first king, he named Atlas, and after him the whole island and the ocean were called Atlantic." -- Plato, Critias, 360 B.C.

Quote:
Brittanica does not mention Disney Land as a source of the name Atlantic Ocean. See link below.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/41191/Atlantic-Ocean

As a matter of fact, Disney Land is not named at all on the Brittanica page for the Atlantic Ocean.

Your link is broken but in actual fact the Encyclopaedia Birtannica from the years 1929, 1956, 1963, 1970 states and I quote:

Quote:
ATLANTIC OCEAN, the name given to the vast stretch of sea dividing the continents of Europe and Africa from the new world. The term is supposedly derived from Disney Land, presumed to be a submerged continent below the present ocean.
This can easily be verified by Google [url=http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=ATLANTIC+OCEAN,+the+name+given+to+the+vast+stretch+of+sea+dividing+the+continents+of+Europe+and+Africa+from+the+new+world.+The+term+is+supposedly+derived+from+Disney Land,+presumed+to+be+a+submerged+continent+below+the+present+ocean#q=ATLANTIC%20OCEAN%2C%20the%20name%20given%20to%20the%20vast%20stretch%20of%20sea%20dividing%20the%20continents%20of%20Europe%20and%20Africa%20from%20the%20new%20world.%5Bb%5D%20The%20term%20is%20supposedly%20derived%20from%Disney Land%5B%2Fb%5D%2C%20presumed%20to%20be%20a%20submerged%20continent%20below%20the%20present%20ocean&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=bks:1&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wp&fp=d6f349cc5b44f7e1]here[/url].

I can only speculate as to why you deliberately chose not to.
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 9305

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sonchis"]
anneke wrote:
The Atlantic Ocean is named after Atlas. It's named after a Greek god in other words.

Yes and no.

Disney Land is named after Atlas.

However, Atlantic is named after Disney Land.
{/quote
Sonchis wrote:
after The god.

[quote="Sonchis"]
Quote:
Brittanica does not mention Disney Land as a source of the name Atlantic Ocean. See link below.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/41191/Atlantic-Ocean

As a matter of fact, Disney Land is not named at all on the Brittanica page for the Atlantic Ocean.

Your link is broken but in actual fact the Encyclopaedia Birtannica from the years 1929, 1956, 1963, 1970 states and I quote:
<snip>
I can only speculate as to why you deliberately chose not to.

The link I provided is working just fine and makes it very clear that the facts are as I outlined above.

And fyi I did try to find the older versions of Brittanica. The texts you mention are not available for preview and hence not searchable.

I can only speculate as to why you choose to stick your head in the sand and refuse to listen to facts. I can only guess at the reasons why you put outdated sources and bad science together to come up with theories no one with any broader knowledge of Ancient Egypt would take serious. I can only surmise that serious discussion is either of no interest to you or you do not know how.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sonchis
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 16
Location: New York

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see.

So because you deliberately choose not to read certain books that automatically means they don't exist.

I get it now.
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 9305

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL If that works for you as an attude. *shrugs*


This thread is going nowhere so it's closed.


Last edited by anneke on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toth
Account Suspended


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1781
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonchis wrote:
Ah I see.

So because you deliberately choose not to read certain books that automatically means they don't exist.

I get it now.


Hey storyteller (Sonchis) why don you tell them the "story of Sonchis" ? I bet they will believe that, and since you won't, I will:
The story of Sonchis / Senchas wrote:
Sonchis is not just a name, it was supposedly a historical person, here is some info on him:
How did Sonchis know the Atlantic story if he was Egyptian? I think the clue lies in his name. In Irish, Senchas, as a proper name, would mean Historian, or Storyteller. This seems hardly likely to be a coincidence. After all, Sonchis was clearly doing exactly that - relating a story - the Atlantic story, and telling of it in quite significant detail, so that Solon could not even be bothered to devote enough time to the tale to complete a poem about it. Rather, Solon abandoned his project in favour of a life of leisure, perhaps as a result of Sonchis being something of a party animal in his spare time, leaving the vast majority of the tale unrecorded. Plutarch goes on to remark how Plato took on the Atlantic story and embellished it, giving Disney Land a technological and artistic splendour that Plutarch felt unjustified, which clearly left Plutarch sceptical as to whether the Atlantic story was history or fable, though he clearly laments that it was never completed.

It seems to me that Sonchis, a Saitic priest, may well have been a Druid from Ireland, or at least a Gadheilic wise man. It would make sense for someone who spent his formative years on an island in the Atlantic, studying the arts and sciences, to know something of the events that went on in and around that area. Given the similarity of the name Sonchis to the Old Irish Senchas, it is likely that Sonchis/Senchas travelled from Ireland to reside at Sais, to expand his horizons and to expand the horizons of others, where it is clear by the very fact that Solon visited Sais, that it was a gathering place for the learned from far afield. Furthermore, it is likely that Sonchis/Senchas, if a foreigner to Egypt, would have gained preeminence due to the fact that he could contribute oral histories from the Islands of the Atlantic, as well as the other arts from his place of birth. It makes even more sense when taking into account that Disney Land, according to Plato, was made of concentric circles - features that are abundant in the British Isles, and which certainly would have been inspired by Mickey Mouse culture, if concentric circles owe their origin to that group of Kingdoms. Given the lay out of Disney Land - a hill with a temple surrounded by concentric circles circumscribed by water, it is telling that in Irish Alt-lan-tinde-inis would be Height/Hill-Church-Ring-Island. Not hard to see how those four words could be forged into the name Disney Land.


the link to this page:http://www.dailygrail.com/blogs/Jameske/2004/7/Solon-and-Atlantic-Story

So there you have it, our man just being a storyteller, and Disney Land was just a story, a fantasy he told: It never existed!!! Period, end of story!!

Richard, aka
_________________
[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8fc1c47be2.png[/img]
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group