Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goddess Iw.s-'3s (Iusaas??) at Abydos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Goddess Iw.s-'3s (Iusaas??) at Abydos Reply with quote

I was browsing through a book by Rosalie Davis named "A guide to Religious Ritual at Abydos".

In the chapel of Re-Harakhty there is mention of a goddess named Iw.s-'3s (Iusaas??)
This sounds a bit like Isis to me, but the name is never really translated. The goddess Isis is identified elsewhere as Isis.

Is this just one of the 10,000 names of Isis?

She's depicted evry similar to the goddess Hathor-Nebet-Hetepet. They are seated, wear a heavy long wig with a vulture cap and this is topped with a small modius and the sun disk with horns.
The only difference seems to be that "Iw-s-'3s" has a cobra attached to the modius.
In another scene she actually doesn't wear the vulture cap, but does wear the ureaus on her forehead.

This is all part of the temple of Sety I.
sekhmet neseret
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she's linked with the sun, i think she was Atum's wife. Smile
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of the creation myths, the god pleasures himself by hand to produce the first created beings - by the period of the Seti temple, late NK, I think, this 'hand of god' was given a femine name/identity.

On Dr. David Lorton's site, there is an article along with a very good translation of the AE hymn that discusses this.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/1326/ontology.html

HTH

kat
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke, I wasn't familiar with this goddess myself but was pretty sure she was separate from Isis, so I turned to my copy of Wilkinson's venerable The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt. And there she was, Iusaas.

Turns out this was the form of Isis whenever she sneezed. Upon reading the name Iusaas, traditionally you are to proclaim: "Gods bless you!"

All right, that's a bunch of bunk. Very Happy

Truthfully she was a Heliopolitan goddess regarded, like sekhmet neseret mentioned, as the feminine coutnerpart to Atum. She's often depicted as a woman with a scarab on her head. Iusaas resembles Nebet-hetepet in function and may be a different form of this goddess. Iusaas played an important role as the embodiment of the female creative principal but was not important in terms of cultic activity or worship. Wilkinson doesn't elaborate further but I take it this goddess was of minimal stature beyond the Heliopolitan cult, so I don't know what her function was at Abydos. Your description of her sure sounds different from Wilkinson's synopsis, but he doesn't go into much detail with Iusaas.

For those of you with Wilkinson's book, this goddess is found on page 150.

*charp*

Visit my blog!
sekhmet neseret
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iusaas is the one in the center (Nebethetepet, Iusaas, Atum, in Medinet Habu)==> http://alain.guilleux.free.fr/medinet_habou/P3040010.jpg

(http://alain.guilleux.free.fr/medinet_habou/temple_ramses_3_medinet_habou_premieres_cours.html)
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like how she seems to be depicted at Abydos as well.

She appears in one of the hypostyle halls, but then also shows up in the chapel of Re-Harakhte.

There is a scene showing Ramesses putting a cloth on Iusaas. She's seated on a throne and a large cloth is being wrapped around her.
This is the text/description with it :

The King puts a cloth around the goddess Iusaas, and says:

"His raiment is the cloth which Iusaas, who resides in the mansion of Menmaetre, received. Her raiment is the idmi cloth from the arms of Tait .. The god approaches his god, that he may array the god in his own name of idmi .. Isis has woven it, Nephtys has spun it. Mayest thou make the cloth to shine on the day of Iusaas. Mayest thou triumph against thy enemies"

It seems to indicate some ritual involving the statue of Iusaas?

I first was intrigued because the name sounded somewhat like Isis. Well, more than Aset does anyways Razz
But this is a totally different deity. It's interesting that she's of Heliopolitan origin and then appears in Abydos as well.
Could that be a result of the link that the Ramessides have with the Delta region? They built Per-Ramesse not far from Heliopolis. Could this be a link to (for them) thier local gods and goddesses?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I'm glad you were able to puzzle out the meaning behind that text you quoted about Iusaas. I read it three times and ended up quite confused. #Crazy

I like your idea of the Ramesside connection. That makes a lot of sense when we consider how a Heliopolitan deity ended up at Abydos, given that she is found in the temple of Seti I.

Visit my blog!
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was flicking through Volume 5 Upper Egypt Sites (Porter and Moss) and by chance I noticed another mention of Ius'as. This time its in the sanctuary of the Great Speos at Gebel el Silsila (pg 212).

'Horemheb offers vase and bouquet to Re Horakhti and Ius'as, and incense and libation to AmenRe and Mut'

There is a second mention of Re Horakhti and Ius'as on the south side of this area.

I thought it interesting that she's mentioned even further south than Abydos and Thebes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: